PDA

View Full Version : Getting an App Made

Cai
6th June 2010, 05:19 PM
Hi,
I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with getting an app made, i have a meeting with a developer on thursday. What should you be paying per hour for an Australian developer.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Cheers
Cai

cosmichobo
6th June 2010, 05:29 PM
G'day Cai, and welcome to MacTalk.

Is it an app that turns the iPad into a weapon of mass destruction, or just tells you the time in Guatemala? Does it feature clips from the Simpsons, or your own artwork? Does it include the words "Don't Panic" on the splash screen?

Is the app dev some uni student, or a hardened bitter programmer with knowledge dating back to the dark days of machine code.

These questions and more will determine your price...

cheers

cosmic

gehenna
6th June 2010, 05:33 PM
You'll want to meet with more than one developer, 3 or so should give you an indication 1/ who you want to work with, and 2/ how much to pay them. find out what their portfolio is like, whether they've developed commercially before, and whether you can speak to their previous clients as references.

Cai
7th June 2010, 08:38 AM
The app will hopefully open, to a screen which has tabs for our company one of the tabs will have a video section, another an audio section to listen to our companies recordings, another tab will be an rss feed of our newsletters plus a final tab that is like a quotes of the day.
I'm having trouble finding developers in Canberra but if anybody knows of any that would be appreciated.
Regards
Cai

gamblor
7th June 2010, 08:12 PM
All of what you mentioned could be done in PhoneGap - this would allow you to simply make a HTML website using jQuery touch or another similiar framework, then plug it into the XCode template project. Voila - done.

Everything you mention is doable in HTML. I'm doing it for a client at the moment. DM me for more info/example.

PhoneGap (http://www.phonegap.com)

insanefireman
7th June 2010, 09:51 PM
I would also be interested in helping you. Please PM me

pilliga
9th June 2010, 09:54 PM
Your idea seem fairly simple, using a combination of fmtouch and filemaker is a very easy way to get a multi-media self rolled app.

There is runrev - a new hypercard type app builder pretty expensive, easy to build app though