PDA

View Full Version : iPad for kids

DaveOZ
5th June 2010, 09:23 AM
Some said my son is spoilt but we can afford the money so I don't care.

We gave him an iPad for his 5th birthday last week. I'm really impressed with how quickly he has picked it up and what he is learning by using it. I've loaded lots of puzzle games, movies, Dr Seuss book and some racing games.

He is learning to read and the Dr Seuss readers are great for that.

He has already mastered Need for Speed and has won many races and drifting prizes. His skill and co-ordination at this amazes me.

Painting programs are great and very intuitive.

I'd rather my kids use an iPad than play on a Playstation or Wii, I think it is a better tool for learning.

Damn I wish we had stuff like this when I was a kid.

bytemoi
5th June 2010, 10:03 AM
I will be purchasing my 2 teenage kids IPAD's for Xmas, 1- it will stop them fighting over mine and my partner's and 2, there's my xmas shopping done and dusted with a quick order via the apple store, throw in some itunes vouchers and I have the xmas sorted 6 mths in advance...yeah!

Cybix
5th June 2010, 10:05 AM
Nice one. I let my 2yo use mine regularly. See my thread in the ipad apps section with some game recommendations from forum members :)

TheKeddi
5th June 2010, 10:55 AM
I think they are a great learning tool. As long as they have the right apps for kids on them. My 3 year old niece loves mine!

Stez
5th June 2010, 11:32 AM
My 7 year old sister loves using mine. It really is a great device for kids, whether it be plants vs zombies or other games, watching videos, brushes, or those Disney books in the app store. It's really easy to use and it just feels wonderful.

Rabbit
5th June 2010, 12:50 PM
My five year old loves using mine. I have ordered a 32gb 3G one so that he can have my current wifi one.

I agree that they are a great learning tool for kids.

iJohn
5th June 2010, 01:16 PM
Well I'm the 22 year old kid that's got one out of my family.... But my 50 year old mum wants one!!!

kevinnugent
5th June 2010, 02:37 PM
Well I'm the 22 year old kid that's got one out of my family.... But my 50 year old mum wants one!!!

Spoilt brat! ;) Seriously, I'd like to get my 6 year old son one if I knew he would look after it. He got seriously discouraged at a Nintendo DS game a few months ago that caused the DS needing to have a screen crack replaced. I don't think he did anything violent, but the iPad wouldn't take a lot of abuse.

Maybe we can set it as a goal?

SLY
5th June 2010, 02:55 PM
My 5yo uses mine, he loves it, so much learning stuff in the kids part of the app store as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GeoffP
5th June 2010, 03:09 PM
As posted in another thread, I'm buying an iPad for my sons 8th birthday.

My query is what protective skins/cases are everyone buying to protect the iPad from the kiddie knocks and bangs?

geekygal
5th June 2010, 09:33 PM
My 5yr old loves our iPad. The Drawing Pad app is her favourite so far. I've also downloaded a maths app and a word app for her. The iPad is easy for kids to use and the touch interface is great for them.

grorr76
6th June 2010, 03:36 AM
No wonder there is so many spoilt brats running around. come on guys its a bit different when you pay for it with your hard earned money for an adult but if you just give kids stuff like this they grow up with absolutely no value of money. Make them earn it, even if its mowing the lawns for 2 months. Its just as stupid as 10 and 11 year olds with iphones. No wonder kids of today are spoilt think they deserve everything for nothing and have no respect. Daveoz 5year old kid geeze ...

The_Hawk
6th June 2010, 03:50 AM
My 5 year old has had an iPod touch for a long while now. He loves it and it for us it means he's not playing with our iPhones. When it comes to the iPad, we have one as a family and everyone from Myself, Mum, my 5 year old son and my 2 year old daughter share it. I'm sure my son would love to get his own, but for the moment one is enough ;)

As for spoilt brats, it all comes down to how you teach them, it's possible to have nice things and still have a good set of values.

DaveOZ
6th June 2010, 07:29 AM
No wonder there is so many spoilt brats running around. Daveoz 5year old kid geeze ...

It's a bit harsh to judge my childrens behavior without knowing them. They are well aware of the value of things and they appreciate how hard I work as a business owner. I'll raise my kid how I choose thanks.

Geoff3DMN
6th June 2010, 07:33 AM
No wonder there is so many spoilt brats running around. <SNIP> Make them earn it <SNIP> No wonder kids of today are spoilt

Jealous much? :p

Our 8 year old has an iPod touch and a 16Gb wifi iPad is currently number 1 pick for her birthday.

Families have different amounts of disposable income.

Leopard
6th June 2010, 08:45 AM
Brand new Car at 18 as well???
Go on you know you want too...

Geoff3DMN
6th June 2010, 08:50 AM

Only our oldest is 18, and she got a 3 year old Ford Fiesta when Jodie got a new one.

So no... not new (not that there's anything wrong with that; despite what you're implying).

DaveOZ
6th June 2010, 09:18 AM

Will do and I'll make sure its a Lotus.

Rabbit
6th June 2010, 03:57 PM

Oh please. My five year old has some appreciation of money. He does chores to earn his weekly pocket money. He also collects aluminum cans to earn extra money.

If I choose to give him an iPad for his 6th birthday in a couple of months, I don't think he is being spoilt. I see it as an investment in his education. It is a device he wants to use. I think it is better than other electronic devices such as xboxes and ps3.

Darwiniandude
6th June 2010, 04:54 PM
Exactly. Yes on the face of it it might seem extravagant to some people. However if you price up a Playstation 3, an Xbox 360 or a Wii, by the time you spend money on a few games the pricing is pretty close. Software is so cheap for the iPad that the more content you get, the cheaper it becomes. Especially if you share the same Apple ID with others in the household.

iPad also doesn't tie up an HDTV.

saturdayenvelopes
6th June 2010, 05:00 PM
Well, at least an iPad is somewhat possibly educational.

There's no educational games for a PS3, Xbox 360 or a wii.

And it's good if you're looking for a decent laptop-like device for your kids, i mean its got a great battery life and they're thinking of using them in schools.

eh. i dunno. won my parents over :D

redbugs
6th June 2010, 05:01 PM
We have three iPads in our house: mine, my wife's and my 7 year old son has one. Is he spoilt? Perhaps. Is he a good person who has more empathy than anyone I have ever met? Definitely, and he knows that most kids don't have this stuff.

I don't really care that he has no real concept of the cost of it (other than it's expensive) - for him it's a computer that he can draw on, look at Star War lego clips on YouTube and do maths on. In fact, thanks to the iPad he was doing division problems at a ten year old level within two days of getting it! He loves it!

The other night, the three of us sat around in the lounge room with our iPads while I emailed a short story to my son, he drew pictures and emailed them to us. We did puzzles, talked and mucked around with our iPads for about two hours. We all had a great time playing and chatting. It's a joy to watch him engage with technology in such a natural way.

For kids, technology is just another means of interacting with the world and I am happy to oblige. We also have a two year old and it's only a matter of time before I get the shopping urge for her too...! :-)

thats awesome
7th June 2010, 01:19 AM
Damn I wish we had stuff like this when I was a kid.

I wish more kids were given bicycles and sporting equipment.

It would be great if their parents went outside and exercised with them rather than giving them devices that will keep them in the house most of the day.

It would help with our disastrous obesity problem.

DaveOZ
7th June 2010, 06:53 AM

Wow, never thought of that. Those Wii Sport things any good?

cosmo
7th June 2010, 07:59 AM
Wow, never thought of that. Those Wii Sport things any good?

I'm usually knackered after boxing with my 7 and 5 year olds :)

Rabbit
7th June 2010, 08:28 AM

It would be great if their parents went outside and exercised with them rather than giving them devices that will keep them in the house most of the day.

It would help with our disastrous obesity problem.

Like everything in life there needs to be a balance. My five year old has swimming lessons, karate lessons, goes to gymnastics and plays Auskick on the weekends. On weekends we kick the ball around outside (weather dependent). He also helps me with the outside chores like stacking fire wood, cleaning the pool, and general maintenance. He also does his readers every night and uses my iPad or the iMac. He is limited with how much tv he can watch. At the moment he likes to watch Masterchef. That's the only tv he has each night. He may sit and watch the football with me if his team is playing but generally if it is a home game we will go and watch.

I am not concerned that my son will have an obesity problem because he uses my iPad and will be getting one if his own for his birthday in a couple of months.

kevinnugent
7th June 2010, 09:56 AM
Like everything in life there needs to be a balance. My five year old has swimming lessons, karate lessons, goes to gymnastics and plays Auskick on the weekends. On weekends we kick the ball around outside (weather dependent). He also helps me with the outside chores like stacking fire wood, cleaning the pool, and general maintenance. He also does his readers every night and uses my iPad or the iMac. He is limited with how much tv he can watch. At the moment he likes to watch Masterchef. That's the only tv he has each night. He may sit and watch the football with me if his team is playing but generally if it is a home game we will go and watch.

I am not concerned that my son will have an obesity problem because he uses my iPad and will be getting one if his own for his birthday in a couple of months.

To me, Rabbit, I'd say you are doing a GREAT JOB as a parent. Well done (not that you need my approval!).

Our 6 year old doesn't get out of the house as much as I'd like. But with both parents working it can be dark by the time we all get home during the week. He does karate twice a week and gymnastics. And he rides his scooter and bike out the front a lot. But, I still think there's more room for activity.... Still I'm tempted to get him an iPad. At $629 it's cheap really..

iZuloo
7th June 2010, 02:14 PM
I don't see why peopl are against ipad for kids but playstations etc are fine. In the long run ipads are way cheaper, more flexable and probably something kids will have to learn how to use in highschool / uni anyway. I can't see xbox being used in schools. Why not give your kids a head start if you can afford it just becAuse a child has these tools it doesn't mean they're not outside too. Sometimes haters get jealous I guess.

Rabbit
7th June 2010, 04:17 PM
Very true

PrincessHayley_xo
7th June 2010, 04:22 PM
I'm jealous of the 10 year olds who have iPhones! I want one now, waah! :(

I can see why you'd give a young child an iPad though. So no jealousy or hating there.

delux
7th June 2010, 04:27 PM
Will do and I'll make sure its a Lotus.

DAD!!! where have you been all my life =)

Stez
22nd January 2011, 07:50 PM
I let me 8 year old sister use my iPad, she loves it! Build a bear-ville, books, the huge amount of fun games I have on there, The Simpsons. Getting a 8 year old their own iPad, idk bit over the top I reckon. Sure it's a great device but if you have one, your wife has one, and you want to get one for your kid, that's unnecessary IMO. It's also very weird for the child if he has so many things and nobody else does, I mean I'm pretty ''rich'' but if somebody is coming over or something I don't use the iPad or Macbook Air or whatever, people judge others with expensive things very quickly, so be cautious.

kevinnugent
22nd January 2011, 10:12 PM
Well, I cracked yesterday and got our son a 16gb wifi iPad. To balance things out, we also got him a baseball glove, ball and bat. Today was iPad games. Tomorrow's the park throwing the ball around.

Stez
24th January 2011, 03:20 PM
Well, I cracked yesterday and got our son a 16gb wifi iPad. To balance things out, we also got him a baseball glove, ball and bat. Today was iPad games. Tomorrow's the park throwing the ball around.

Theoretically thats a balance but of course he will enjoy and in turn use the iPad more. It's like asking a fat fast food addict if he prefers maccas over pasta. You have to get the good habits first, that way he'll enjoy iPad in moderation. I would never choose any tech over football, no way.