PDA

View Full Version : Just for fun, I made a call with my iPad :-)

eaglesteve2
4th June 2010, 04:19 PM
This was the biggest phone I have used in my life. I made a call today using the Acrobits softphone application. The voice quality was surprisingly good at both end, with no echo whatsoever. I did this over wifi, as mine is the wifi model, but I think it should be possible to do it over 3G like I often do with my 3GS.

Reminds me of the those days when my main phone was an HTC Athena.:p

Probably not useful, but it's good to know it can be done.

auspad
4th June 2010, 04:30 PM
More info on how to do this?

gehenna
4th June 2010, 04:31 PM

Presumably using the Apple headphones with mic and a SIP client, in this case Arcobits Softphone.

cosmo
4th June 2010, 04:48 PM

5 seconds with google...... Acrobits - mobile software development company (http://www.acrobits.cz/) :bored:

iJohny
4th June 2010, 05:05 PM
I've been making Skype calls over 3G with Apple headphones and most people couldn't tell the difference can't wait till it can run in the background with 4.0

BoxDog
4th June 2010, 08:18 PM
I have made a couple of test calls over 3G with Skype to the test call service thing and it was in wideband and all. Sounded great, no jitter or degradation.

I've also done a couple of test calls using the Media5 Softphone, which is an iPhone SIP client. It's fantastic and even supports G.722 (which I havent tried yet). However going across Maxo to the PSTN sounded great - the sound quality is definitly better than what you'd get on a normal 3G mobile call, since you're using the same codec as you would a normal digital phone!

eaglesteve2
4th June 2010, 09:57 PM
Headset is optional. Ipad itself has the microphone and speaker.

Perhaps it'll be more useful to use a Bluetooth headset if you really want to use it to make phone call.

TheKeddi
5th June 2010, 12:52 AM
Yep I have used skype on mine too. Wifi and no headphones. Works a treat and good if your sitting on the lounge watching tv and want to make a call.

thats awesome
5th June 2010, 01:01 AM
Seems like it may come in use for those with the 3G model. However in public they could use skype on the iPhone which may be easier than using the iPad for a voice call.