PDA

View Full Version : Carcassonne for iPhone and iPod touch

Thrymr
4th June 2010, 03:50 PM
Any Carcassonne fans out there?

It's just been released (http://www.carcassonneapp.com/) for the iPhone and iPod touch. I've previously played it both as a board game and on the Xbox 360, and think it's a world of fun. The iPhone port is no letdown. Absolutely gorgeous in my opinion.

As for the iPad, the developers are saying that a universal update will be released later this year.

bennyling
4th June 2010, 03:53 PM
Mind giving us a short explanation of the game? I watched the vid on the website you linked and didn't really get it...

Thrymr
4th June 2010, 04:09 PM
Mind giving us a short explanation of the game? I watched the vid on the website you linked and didn't really get it...

It's essentially a turn-based game. On each turn, you get allocated a tile, which you add to the game board to try and create roads, fields, cities, and cloisters. Each player gets allocated a set number of followers, which you use to hold and (hopefully) claim the aforementioned features for points. The type and size of the features determines their value. The game ends when the last tile has been placed, at which point, final scoring takes place to determine the winner. If you're after more detail, Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carcassonne_(board_game)#Gameplay) explains it better than I ever could.

What I like about the game is that every game is essentially unique due to the random nature in which tiles are allocated and the diversity in which they can be placed on the game board. You'll never quite know how the world will be formed, and whether your followers are holding/claiming the most lucrative features. It's part luck, but also part strategy.

The iPhone port is pretty good in that aside from local play, it also supports multiplayer via local networks and the Internet. The audio and graphics are also very polished.

TheKeddi
4th June 2010, 06:46 PM
Awesome!!! I am going to get it now, I have the board game and the xbox version.

Have you tried Catan? That's similar but great too, iphone have a version and the PS3! Am enjoying that heaps at the moment. These games make you think!!!

There is an iPad knockoff of carcassonne too it's called Might and Card Golden.

I haven't tried it but it looks almost the same!

TheKeddi
4th June 2010, 07:41 PM
Just tried Carcassonne on the iPad and even though most iPhone games look half crappy on there this one looks wonderful!!!!

Can't wait for the update but for now this is very cool.

jonathanpoh
7th June 2010, 03:05 PM
I've heard of the board game but never played it. Bought the iphone version a few days ago and loving it! As others have mentioned, it looks great on the iPad despite not being a true 'native' iPad app yet. It seems some of the text and graphics are already of higher resolution when running on an iPad. Very clear tutorial and I've been enjoying playing against the various AIs and getting a bit better at it

jbjose
7th June 2010, 03:10 PM
I've got Carcassonne and Catan (physical) boardgames. They're fantastic and addictive games that I've managed to get my friends hooked on. We'd spent a few late nights/early mornings playing them.

How is the Carcassonne for iPhone internet push capability like? Any good? Would anyone be interested in a net game? (I imagine these to be prolonged throughout the day, taking a move every 30 mins or so between work... ;) )

TheKeddi
7th June 2010, 03:43 PM
I've got Carcassonne and Catan (physical) boardgames. They're fantastic and addictive games that I've managed to get my friends hooked on. We'd spent a few late nights/early mornings playing them.

How is the Carcassonne for iPhone internet push capability like? Any good? Would anyone be interested in a net game? (I imagine these to be prolonged throughout the day, taking a move every 30 mins or so between work... ;) )

I would love to have a go at that!!!

You just register a username and email when you do a start game and then look for friends via email,

If you would like a game, PM me and I'll send you my email!!!

jbjose
7th June 2010, 04:32 PM
Awesome! It's 58.5mb so I'll download it when I get home tonight.

I'll PM you when I get it!

jonathanpoh
4th July 2010, 08:32 PM
Anybody else got this and want to play online? send me a PM for my email address

kyte
5th July 2010, 09:42 PM
Can someone explain to me in the simplest of terms how the points are calculated? I just don't seem to "get" the game at all, but I know if I did, I would enjoy it. Its just frustrating to end up in a negative state on every game. I've stopped playing because I don't understand it. Why do I end up with neg score when I have "made" a city. what are the rules of city making? Is it to do with the roads coming out of a city? I'm totally lost. Reading the instructions hasnt helped me, either. maybe I'm too old to learn a new game... gawd, thats a bit sad!

meverz
5th July 2010, 10:37 PM
Can someone explain to me in the simplest of terms how the points are calculated? I just don't seem to "get" the game at all, but I know if I did, I would enjoy it. Its just frustrating to end up in a negative state on every game. I've stopped playing because I don't understand it. Why do I end up with neg score when I have "made" a city. what are the rules of city making? Is it to do with the roads coming out of a city? I'm totally lost. Reading the instructions hasnt helped me, either. maybe I'm too old to learn a new game... gawd, thats a bit sad!

Are you playing the "normal" game or the solitaire version? It sounds like the solitaire version which is different to the normal game.

In the Solitaire version you have to make cities and roads "in order." You have to first make a city of 2, then 3, and so on up to 6. It's the same with the roads.

Every time you lay a tile, you lose points based on the size of your board so far. So you want to make your 5 cities and roads as quickly as possible (so you lay less tiles), and while keeping your board as compact as possible (to decrease the points you are accruing each time you lay a tile).

Does that help?

jbjose
5th July 2010, 11:34 PM
PM me for my email if anyone wants to play :)

Rust
6th July 2010, 11:42 AM
I've had my eye on this game...I suppose i'll give it a go if everyone is giving it glowing reviews :)

kyte
6th July 2010, 12:14 PM
Are you playing the "normal" game or the solitaire version? It sounds like the solitaire version which is different to the normal game.

In the Solitaire version you have to make cities and roads "in order." You have to first make a city of 2, then 3, and so on up to 6. It's the same with the roads.

Every time you lay a tile, you lose points based on the size of your board so far. So you want to make your 5 cities and roads as quickly as possible (so you lay less tiles), and while keeping your board as compact as possible (to decrease the points you are accruing each time you lay a tile).

Does that help?
Yesssssssssss! Thanks so much, it was the in order bit that I did not get!

meverz
6th July 2010, 01:30 PM
Yesssssssssss! Thanks so much, it was the in order bit that I did not get!

No problem. I really quite like the solitaire mode, great for getting a Carcosonne fix when there is noone else to play with. And you don't have to deal with the arbitrary moves and decisions of bots.