PDA

View Full Version : 3G next macbooks?

gareth
4th June 2010, 03:07 PM
Do you guys think the next line of Macbooks will have a micro sim slot now its in the iPad and no doubt the next iphone

cheers :)

JimWOz
4th June 2010, 03:29 PM
I don't know, but man I sure hope so.

Having a USB NextG modem hanging out the side like a doorstop is a pain.
I am always worrying about belting it accidentally. It would also make sleeping and moving on quick real easy.

iGobbleoff
4th June 2010, 04:00 PM
i reckon they just bet that most macbook/pro users have iphones, so then BT or cable tether their laptops to that.

AnthoMac
4th June 2010, 05:32 PM
Typically of Apple to NOT do this. They just revised their MBPs and apart from internal changes there's not a compelling reason for them to include 3G in any of their OS X lines of computing.

I hope I'm wrong though!

nibbles
4th June 2010, 05:59 PM
I would think that we may see one in the next update where it gets a bigger design/other stuff overhaul not just a spec bump. It would come in handy, just like the built in airport card.

aero_nz
4th June 2010, 08:18 PM
Good point! why the heck not??

Think about it iphone does, ipad does, why not macbook, imagine a microsim slot in the side of the macbook, surely theres a market, I would pay the additional $120 for the 3G and GPS option ala iPad!

idiesel
5th June 2010, 09:49 AM
I was admiring a friend's iPad 3G yesterday and was wondering why Apple hasn't done this yet...or any other mainstream PC manufacturer for that matter. It seems natural that notebooks/laptops should offer this functionality. I think I recall seeing 1 Netbook offering this functionality, but to me it seems to be a market waiting to be tapped.

I hope Apple do offer this in the next revision. They can use the space that's reserved for the HDMI output ;)

nibbles
5th June 2010, 10:27 AM
Lenovo featured it in one version of the idea pad not sure how it went but it would work great in an apple product.

scotty134
5th June 2010, 10:30 AM
Good point! why the heck not??

I think you would find that a 3G enabled MacBook would affect sales of the top end iPads. The attraction of the iPad diminishes when you can purchase a proper computer (not some cheapo netbook) for only slightly more. I know I thought about it when pre-ordering an iPad. Apple probably makes much more money off the iPad in terms of hardware profit and the App/Music/Book Stores so I don't see them making 3G MacBooks a priority.

That said, I would love it.

idiesel
5th June 2010, 11:12 AM
Whilst that my be a consideration, I would imagine they sell far more MacBooks than iPads, and anyone considering an iPad is doing it for a different reason to wanting a MacBook.

auspad
5th June 2010, 12:33 PM
Maybee if they only offered 3G in the higher specced laptops, like the 15 inch and above mbp. It would compell you to spend more money

mjankor
5th June 2010, 02:08 PM
I think it would be a pain.

Not the concept, the concept is great, but until the telcos allow you to have one data pool that can be used by any device, managing 3 or 4 sims is going to be annoying.

I think for the moment tethering is a suitable substitute until the telcos sort themselves out.

On the other hand, if there's one company that can push the Telco's around it's Apple, so perhaps, perhaps, perhaps.

Dust For Eyes
5th June 2010, 02:29 PM
I think telcos would have a heart attack if 3G went mainstream on laptops. They barely keep up with the pace of smart phones and the upcoming wave of tablet devices. The minor inconvenience of tethering is probably as much as they want to handle at the moment.

DeKa
5th June 2010, 02:46 PM
I agree with mjankor... managing all these SIMs with their different data allocations is annoying. I am much more in favour of a MiFi or similar, at least until telcos allow a pool of data with a certain number of SIMs... eg 5GB across 3 SIMs would cover an iPhone, a MBP and an iPad.

aero_nz
5th June 2010, 07:17 PM
I think you would find that a 3G enabled MacBook would affect sales of the top end iPads. The attraction of the iPad diminishes when you can purchase a proper computer

Excellent point, I think ur right it would effect the $1000 sales!

idiesel
15th June 2010, 07:42 PM
So are we likely to see a HDMI port appear in the next revision of the MBPs now that the Mac Mini sports one?

LCGuy
15th June 2010, 11:17 PM
I was admiring a friend's iPad 3G yesterday and was wondering why Apple hasn't done this yet...or any other mainstream PC manufacturer for that matter. It seems natural that notebooks/laptops should offer this functionality. I think I recall seeing 1 Netbook offering this functionality, but to me it seems to be a market waiting to be tapped.

Some Toshibas have 3G built in - I've never used it myself, but Dad's work laptop (Toshiba Satellite Pro S300) has 3G built in, the SIM card slot is right underneath the battery.