PDA

View Full Version : Dodocase Opinions

shadowground
4th June 2010, 01:42 AM
anyone received one of these yet? any chance of photos/short review? im quite interested in getting one but the 4-6 week order time is putting me off slightly.

thanks!

Maxim Litvinov
4th June 2010, 09:47 AM
I would be incredibly put off by the shipping time.

Dodocase seem to be a small-time operation and spend their time hurriedly putting together cases without time for much else.

Because of that, customers are using their facebook page to log how long cases are taking.

For the first 2000, they have kept to their 4 week to ship time frame (which is more like 5-6 weeks, with shipping to Australia). So, order #2300 or so, for instance, is just shipping now after being put in around 1 May. Order #1400 was made in mid April.

The problem then is that there was a surge in demand after several prominent blogs (engadget, gizmodo? I can't remember) featured them around 5 May. I placed an order on 14 May and it's #7950.

In other words, they received about 1000-2000 orders in all of April and are just managing to send them out after a month. They received 5000 orders in about one week in May and have got a backlog of over 10000 orders now. Although they are keeping on with the 4-6 week guesstimate, they aren't actually answering customers' queries and it looks like the turnaround will be more like 6-10 weeks on more realistic figures.

I will keep my order, because I don't know of any way of easily cancelling the pending transaction I have with them through PayPal. What they do is try to wait almost a month between the order and debitting you, because even then they charge you before shipping the thing. In future months as the queues get longer you could expect to order this month, be debitted in July and probably not see the case until the end of August if you're lucky.

I think something like the Eco-Vue from Marware won't have the same cool factor, but should at least be available before Spring.

SFSJ
4th June 2010, 11:11 AM
I had a friend in the states order one for me that he's going to hand carry. Ordered it on 10 May, so just as they were getting slammed. We'll see if he gets it in time for his trip in July.

There is a manufacturing triangle that says that you can have any two of the three below:

1) Quality workmanship

2) Inexpensive to produce

3) Quick to produce

You may NOT have all three. I think that's the dilemma Dodo is in now. They were trying to focus on the small things that look good and doing it by hand at a reasonable price. They're just too small to handle a big line. I'm willing to wait on them, as I like the idea, but I'll have to get a case for the interim.

But before I do that, Apple will need to actually put an iPad in my hands. NOT that I'm bitter about the 'Ships by 7 June' status of my order when there is stock available in stores. Nossir. Whatever gave you that idea?

Tonysaurus
4th June 2010, 06:28 PM
I ordered last week. It's going to be a long wait. In terms of actual opinion of the product itself, there are two on Youtube reviews, one by Kevin Rose:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot_dABp9_1I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP9oJ_DmfpI

gamblor
4th June 2010, 06:37 PM
I ordered one the moment I saw it appear on the blogs. I was order 299, it arrived in 5 weeks.

The thing is seriously good. It is well made, the look its perfect. People have been commenting more on the case than they have on the iPad. And it doesn't look like an iPad - a big selling point when taking it out in public.

Chrisl369
4th June 2010, 06:52 PM
SFSJ,
I too had the 'June 7th' delivery and was lucky to be in Canberra on Friday release, so got one and cancelled the online order. Same with the NetComm MyZone delivery 26th June, went in to the George Street store today and picked up one, cancelled my online order.
I have also ordered the Dodo case, but will have to wait as I will not be off to the US to get it:)

Regards
Chris

Joey1983
4th June 2010, 07:03 PM
I ordered on the 10th of May (order 7000 or so). Can't wait for it to arrive.
I've got the Apple case, it's horrible, but it will do for now while I patiently wait.

Maxim Litvinov
5th June 2010, 08:49 AM
I cancelled my order overnight.

I think they're finally losing track of the 4-6 week delivery date: they were on 4 weeks for a while and are now up to something closer to 5 weeks. By the time they hit the mid May deliveries I think it will be 6 weeks, plus it seems to be at least 2 weeks internationally by the postal service they're using :/

I needed mine by early July, so I cancelled and ordered a 'shipping ready' Vaja case yesterday morning. I have the FedEx number already.

mitty
5th June 2010, 09:02 AM
I like the look of it, but the elastic strap looks like the weak point and may easily break off down the track. Can anyone who's got one comment on that?

I think it looks awesome but the wait does seem a bit rich. Hopefully they sort it out.

Tonysaurus
5th June 2010, 10:32 AM
I don't think the elastic strap will be a problem, Moleskine have had them for a couple of hundred years now and they're fine.

I'm more worried about the longevity of the spine for when I bend back the top cover to type on the iPad at an angle. I'm also not confident that the angle achieved will be sufficent, it looks a little shallow. Ah well, better than no angle at all I guess.

iTy
5th June 2010, 10:43 AM
Not really sure what is it about this case that people are going nuts about.

Sure it looks good, but my problem with it (after watching the demo), is that it looks like the iPad would easily fall out if it were dropped from knee height.

That bit where he shakes it and it just pops out of the bamboo fixture worries me.

I'll be keen to get some first hand reviews from those that mange to get one.

However, every man/woman and their dog is recommending this thing. So I'm open to it. Just not particularly convinced at this point.

Currently have an Apple case. My niece accidentally dropped it on tiles and it's fine. Had a Sigg bottle fall on it and it's fine. Mind you this all happened this week.

jeffkirkland
5th June 2010, 10:49 AM
According to their FAQ the spine is almost an inch high so the angle would be a little shallower than the Apple case but I'd suspect still usable.

I just ahd some money refunded to my PayPal account and I'm very close to pulling the trigger on one of these. I've been looking at cases for weeks and so afar this is the only one that's grabbed my attention.

kungfucamel
5th June 2010, 03:04 PM
i really want my dodocase but australia post lost it :*(

jok3r
28th June 2010, 10:24 PM
Ordered one last night.
Im willing to wait the 6weeks, no choice in the matter..quality products = wait

Purchased a cheap $8 10inch netbook case to protect it for the time being (not leaving the house until the Dodo arrives)

dracomjb
14th July 2010, 04:32 PM
Ordered on 1st June. Dispatched 9th July (SF time so 10th July local), arrived today. It's everything I was wanting, looks like a note book, the bamboo even looks a little like paper from a distance. Ports and buttons easily accessible. Love it.

Kievmeister
14th July 2010, 05:57 PM
It has been everything I could wish for in a case for the iPad. The only problem is that it could be a little fragile.

Mine has developed a crack near the bottom right corner. I have tried to fix it with some craft/wood glue today I'll see how it holds up. Having said that i would happily buy another DODOcase if this one completely falls apart.

Mel7
15th July 2010, 08:40 AM
I ordered mine on 6 July, so I don't expect it to appear until the end of August. In the meantime, I'm using the Apple case which is fine for now.

I did a lot of research, looked at all of the recommendations in this thread http://forums.mactalk.com.au/57/83467-ipad-case-discussion-best-type-case.html and finally decided the Dodocase was for me. I love the Moleskin note pads, so that was the clincher I spose - plus I like the idea of the hand made, small business thing.

I'll review it when it arrives.

Spoolin
15th July 2010, 10:17 AM
I got my Dodo case a couple of weeks back.

Every other case just seems to make the iPad look like a cheap toy..
The Dodo case is wicked. Looks great, works perfect. I couldn't ask for more to be honest.

Well worth the wait.

davemc
15th July 2010, 12:20 PM
Have you had any problems with the iPad slipping out? There has been a few youtube clips about how the rubber pads wear out quickly.

I got a ecu-vue yesterday as I needed a case and not wait 6-8 weeks delivered.

Stil like the look of the dodocase. So might wait until demand drops a little

SFSJ
21st July 2010, 01:35 PM
Got my Dodocase a couple of weeks ago, brought to me by friends coming to visit from the US.

Long story short: It rocks. The wait was a long one, but worth it. The case looks great, especially if you're not interested in looking like you're toting around a next-gen device but want a more subdued look.

The fit is fantastic and I haven't had mine even hint at coming out of the rubberized fittings yet, so it has a great grip in my limited experience.

It offers more protection, when closed, than the silicone case I had my iPad in and the cover is, for me, the perfect blend of textures. It is slick enough to easily slide in and out of my Crumpler or Tom Bihn bags (the silicone case would grab the nylon, which made getting the device in or out of the bag a chore) but certainly not slick enough to worry about dropping it when you're handling your device.

The construction is really top notch from what I can tell. I'm curious if, in time, I could take the thing to a book binder and have another cover put on it. Perhaps real leather?

If what you want is a well made, classic looking cover that compliments the iPad's looks, rather than covering them up, but lowers the 'wow-look-at-me-I've-got-the-latest-tech' factor, I would HIGHLY recommend the Dodocase.

-sfsj

harrisonx
21st July 2010, 01:53 PM
Had mine for about 2 or 3 weeks now.

Very very happy with it. It doesn't hold the iPad as tightly as I'd hoped (but it seems that it's hit or miss - a result of it being handmade).

The only thing I'm worried about is the elastic failing [ie: losing it's stretch] down the track, but for the moment it's been perfect. Worst case scenario is I need to remove the elastic and replace it with a sleeve of some type.

I'd definitely recommend it if you're happy to have the extra bulk over a slimmer case (I certainly am)

gamblor
25th July 2010, 10:32 AM
I've been using mine since launch (so pretty much two months). I adore it, still. The only downside is that it does fall out easily when held upside down and open (ie: when in bed). However, I find myself just taking it out of the case when I'm at home. The case sorta becomes a dock on my desk.

The spine height is fine for typing - I just prop it up on my lap when I'm on the tram and I can type away really easily.

The elastic strap was a worry for me but it is still just as effective and strong now as it was the first day I got it.

It is definitely worth the wait. I know 4-6 weeks is frustrating, but it is a great case.

implicity
26th July 2010, 10:10 AM
Hi

I've had mine for a few weeks now and seems great. Holds in really tight, not the slightest slip when holding upside-down. I've even tried shaking it up and down whilst upside-down and still holds tightly in the case. I'm worried the spine may be a little fragile. But otherwise a happy camper.

Tonysaurus
26th July 2010, 05:46 PM
I just got mine last week. Here's a picture and overall summary of my thoughts: iPad + Dodocase on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tonysaurus/4826432169/)

It is exactly as advertised. It's extremely well made and worth the wait if it's exactly what you are looking for. Only gripes are things that I already knew coming in: the shallow angle and the longevity of using the spine as well as wearing out of the rubber holder in the corners. At the moment, im able to hold the ipad inside upside-down with no problems at all.

Now that I've got the case, I can use my iPad in public attracting less attention :)

Dust For Eyes
15th September 2010, 10:21 AM
The Dodocase has some new colours (http://dodocase.posterous.com/mmmm-new-flavors-of-dodocase-ipad-case-are-av).

http://posterous.com/getfile/files.posterous.com/temp-2010-09-14/bevhcujtFntfECpvGAAsicajfqvyGxkfuofIEoHEfqvmIaubpu qlkjnlEEEp/IMAG0055.jpg.scaled1000.jpg

anth82
17th September 2010, 02:59 PM
Just got my Dodocase - love it love, love it, love it! Worth the wait and exactly what I want from an iPad case.