PDA

View Full Version : So... have you flopped it out in public yet?

mitty
3rd June 2010, 01:09 PM
With the iphone 3G when it first came out I was very hesitant to take it out in public. Of course now every man, woman and their dog have one.

But now we're starting all over again with the ipad. Today I took mine out in public for the first time, I had lunch with some friends and took it out to show em, and suddenly it was like I was the centre of attention! No doubt some of them were probably thinking "what a wanker" but anyway I have an ipad and they don't :p

So anyway where have you used your ipad in public and what sort of responses have you received (if any)?

Tzortst
3rd June 2010, 01:10 PM
Tempted to get a thick case for this very reason...

Leopard
3rd June 2010, 01:14 PM
Yes,,,,,But not the iPad as yet,,,,,,,,,,
Had to b said,,,:p

Japester
3rd June 2010, 01:16 PM
I use, no--flaunt--mine on the bus. I read or watch recorded TV. I've got headphones on so that I don't have to talk to anyone.

ZirconiumZephyr
3rd June 2010, 01:22 PM
intending to whip it out today. Really have to do some study while I'm on my lunch break, just wish I had some protection. Think I'll have to borrow a rubber one from work.

dotnet
3rd June 2010, 01:22 PM
No doubt some of them were probably thinking "what a wanker" but anyway I have an ipad and they don't :p

I'm thinking that some of those do have an iPad themselves…

Cheers
Steffen.

Huy
3rd June 2010, 01:56 PM
Haven't taken mine out in public. Don't intend to until more people have them.

It's my home/couch machine for the time being.

codemonk
3rd June 2010, 02:01 PM
I've been using mine on the train for weeks, but strangely nobody even noticed or commented until the week before they launched here. It seems most people really weren't aware of it until the marketing hype began.

alextrob
3rd June 2010, 02:07 PM
I took mine out while I was digging through my bag at uni yesterday and heard a group of people whisper
"Is that an iPad?"
"Yeah I think so."

I didn't use it or even open up the folio case it was in since I was actually doing some work at the time, so the most they could have seen is some aluminium edges.

The_Hawk
3rd June 2010, 02:09 PM
I've been using mine since Friday on the train every day, while I still feel a little self conscious, it was bought to be used. If your really that concerned about the safety of your device, turn on the PIN code and insure it :D

As for attention, haven't had anyone say anything yet, haven't noticed anyone looking at me either. (I have noticed more and more people using their iPhones to watch video on the trains though).

bartron
3rd June 2010, 02:20 PM
I took mine out the other day at a cafe to show my portfolio to a future client...they were actually quite impressed, not only with the images but the manner of presentation (all I did was dump the jpegs onto it)... was then able to draft up a quote in Pages, write their contact details in and set a date in iCal.......All I can say is that the iPad has already paid for itself ;)

Eato73
3rd June 2010, 02:22 PM
Got mine on Sunday and have brought it to work everyday (my MBP is left at home now), the employees loved it when they saw it and so do my clients and suppliers. I wonder how many will buy one after having a play with mine.

Wet_Jimmy
3rd June 2010, 02:25 PM
Like The_Hawk, I've been using my iPad on the train every day and it's great. I haven't had any creepy strangers approach me, nor have I been viciously attacked and had my iPad stolen - so I'm pretty happy :)

mitty
3rd June 2010, 02:39 PM
Problem for me is my train trip is only ten minutes. Not really worth even taking it out. Sometimes I wish I lived further out so I could get more use out of it on PT :)

faberman@mac.com
3rd June 2010, 02:44 PM
I've had my iPad for 6 weeks now, ever since I got it I've been harassing people in the street forcing them to look at it, I spent hours wandering around shops trying to get an opportunity to show it to a shop assistant.

When you think people would be impressed, they aren't. When I was waiting in the pharmacy, I was surrounded by old people (well older than me) wanting to know everything about it. You just don't know who's going to be interested, but generally I have found that it's the more mature that are more interested.

Dust For Eyes
3rd June 2010, 02:53 PM
If you're worried about unwanted attention in public when you use your iPad perhaps you could follow this guy's method.

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/4/2010/06/340x_japanipad.jpg

Japester
3rd June 2010, 02:56 PM
If you're worried about unwanted attention in public when you use your iPad perhaps you could follow this guy's method.

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/4/2010/06/340x_japanipad.jpg

Clever!

mitty
3rd June 2010, 03:04 PM
I've had my iPad for 6 weeks now, ever since I got it I've been harassing people in the street forcing them to look at it, I spent hours wandering around shops trying to get an opportunity to show it to a shop assistant.

Steve should make you his new VP of Marketing.

Ecto1
3rd June 2010, 03:05 PM
I've taken my iPad out in to the wild a lot since I got it. It's truly is a people magnet. I've had many people stop and ask me about it and others have just walked on by while eyeing it off.

EZYHD
3rd June 2010, 03:13 PM
Was at a coffee shop today outside seat with iPad on, people came past for a look and a chat. Some asked "what it that!".

Cybix
3rd June 2010, 03:26 PM
Have had mine on the train and bus twice so far since last week's release. People certainly look.

the lady on the train sitting next to me was less than impressed with the www.ifuckinghatehorses.com (http://www.ifuckinghatehorses.com) web site I was reading at the time....

MrJesseRoss
3rd June 2010, 03:51 PM
I haven't had any attention on the bus, but it's impossible to read even a page of a magazine on it at work before people want to discuss the iPad. Damn them all!

adamd
3rd June 2010, 04:21 PM
I took mine into freo on Saturday, the day after I got it. I got bulk attention at the vodafone store, as it was the first iPad they'd seen and set a sim up with.
Then I went to subway for some lunch and was questioned by the guy who served me.
I've been using the 'pad as my main work device, as I can do VNC, RDP and network controlling on it via safari. I've also been using it for my hours and time logging for work, using numbers to make a spreadsheet. Every client I've been to see, someone has said "is that an iPad?" then spent the next 5 minutes checking it out.
I have to say at first I loved the attention, but now it's kinda getting annoying, I just want to get in there, do my work and get out of there. The extra delay of having to show off the iPad, and the fear of someone dropping it while doing the holding-raise-and-lowering of hands to see how much it weighs is enough for me to not want to show anyone....

Stez
3rd June 2010, 04:21 PM
Yeah. Sometimes they just stare and other times just come right up to me and ask me about it but I've got no issues with it.

aeon
3rd June 2010, 04:29 PM
I was playing Scrabble with the iPad + Two iPhones and several friends playing/watching on Saturday, at a cafe... the table next to us glanced over a few times, but other than that, nothing out of the ordinary.

the_doctor
3rd June 2010, 04:38 PM
I haven't taken it out into the big wide world yet. A few friends were over the other night and i gave each one the same speech before they touched it. "You break it, you bought it". I was sort of hovering next to each one in case they had a case of the butterfingers and dropped it. One of my friends is a real klutz (Yiddish for a clumsy person) and I was especially careful when he had his mits on it. As for strangers there is no way I would let them touch it.

LifeIsCheap
3rd June 2010, 04:47 PM
I'm flopping mine out right now at Perth domestic Qantas Club. One bloke said, "is that one of those new, errr...".

"Yup."

That's it. I've got it in one of the incase cases so it doesn't look too conspicuous.

This keyboard is a little tricky after a cowpoke of wines...

bennettnz
3rd June 2010, 04:59 PM
Mines been for a few coffees but it has its black ops - military looking apple cover which takes a bit of the "wank" off it. Actually this apple case has made it look quite weather worn and much more acceptable. Of course it's like brand new when I take it out but I'm not complaining.

I have overheard a few comments and I did pass it over to some friendly stranger to play with, unfortunately he wasn't a stunning looking woman. Is this thing a chick magnet because I haven't noticed?... maybe I'm neutralising the effect.

mjankor
3rd June 2010, 05:00 PM
I'm using it standing up on a bus right now. Other people don't bother me.

DJY
3rd June 2010, 05:03 PM
I've been using mine quite openly for a while.

Bought it whilst I was in the States.. and used it at that conference.
Had lots of people wanting to see it, touch it, play with it.

Used on US domestic flights, Aust domestic flights and international flights - and all the flight attendants want a look, as do passengers that see it.

First Class Lounge in LAX unfortunately I was hoping someone nearby me wanted to see it ask about it (as Ricky Gervais was sitting near me, then MIchael Clarke appeared as well)... but they were all discrete.

Several airline lounges in Aust, even in the Telstra shops I've been to staff wanted to see if - as it was the first one they had seen.

I used it publicly at work, and people are keen to see it - even now they have been released locally.

HottPixels
3rd June 2010, 05:04 PM
... Is this thing a chick magnet because I haven't noticed?... maybe I'm neutralising the effect.

yeah i think it is, i've had heaps of stunning models use mine hahahaha!
i've used it at meetings, which with the apps i have is the best thing ever!

had a few people come up to ask about it.. and heard a few "is that an ipad?"

nando
3rd June 2010, 05:10 PM
Nohavent also haven't seen anyone in brisbane cbd

babypoppop
3rd June 2010, 05:13 PM
yes, i have. in the tram and the train. melbourne cbd. no one seems to care.

auspad
3rd June 2010, 06:00 PM
People wisper near me, is that an iPad?. But they don't talk to me, maybe because everybody is scared of me here:o

antzzz
3rd June 2010, 07:26 PM
Haha funny stories...

It was actually funny, I pre-ordered mine and it was delivered to the office - but I was in Melbourne that day, I called into T Life to buy a pre-paid sim, and I was practically swarmed by Telstra people 'do you have an iPad'!... HAHA

KyeSeveN
3rd June 2010, 07:37 PM
Ive been taking mine out everyday, on the train into uni and in every class. Had quite a few comments and I have been very surprised that people are not negative! A lot of people comment but no one is being a little bitch about apple products towards it so I'm very happy :D

aokman
3rd June 2010, 08:15 PM
ive taken mine out to lunch 3 times so far, once with a mate and his 15" laptop brick sitting next to me and i heard some chuckles at the size comparison lol. Also had people up with the usual "is that an iPad" to which i reply "what else could it be" lol

dont take it to work you will never get anything done just constant questions!

apple should be paying us commission though as i rekon ive sold about 5 of them so far after people played with mine with some decent apps.

KiLeAk
3rd June 2010, 08:25 PM
It's great! So far cafes, queues, on planes - especially before it came out in AU, people ask is that an iPad!

They all want to touch it, the amount of complete strangers who are willing to speak to you for a quick touch! (the iPad, what on earth were you thinking!)

Shame they are readily available now, no longer elite ;-) old tech, anyone want mine ;-)

amstrad_mac
3rd June 2010, 08:27 PM
Yeah I took mine to work everyday - almost every person came over and asked me what's so good about it.. Apple should pay me for marketing! Lol

today the web manager is in a hissy fit with her web team over our companys website not being friendly at all on the ipad.. It's automatically coming in as a mobile version and it still doesn't work properly... Hehehe hopefully they'll take my advice and redevelop the site without flash.

mitty
3rd June 2010, 08:45 PM
Is that an iPad? No, it's a lawnmower.

BoxDog
3rd June 2010, 09:11 PM
Have had a few people myself. The day after Launch Day I took mine to my cousins netball day thing to keep myself amused during the boring bits and had at least 20 random people through the day asking if it was an iPad, asking what it did, how it was different to a normal computer, asking for a play, etc. I was glad I bought a silicone case for it, but now want to get a folio case to make it a bit more discreet - and some screen protector too i think.

Flew back from Perth with the N Melbourne FC on Sunday night. A cameraman doing some work with them sat next to me and saw me flop it out. Got asked about 20,000 questions including lots about how he could get video off his DV Camera onto the iPad in the field (yeah good luck)! Had a Crew member eye it up as I walked past her. This week at work Ive had a few people asking about it and the usual for/against debate (I'm so sick of that now!) and tonight at a family thing the kids got hold of it and had a ball, and I got the usual "what the hell is that thing?" line of questioning too :)

The only negative reaction Ive had so far is from wifey who was more than surprised when I flopped it out in bed on Monday night. (she is still usually surprised when I flop things out in bed) Conversatioon was like this. We'd already gone to bed and turned out the light..

"Hey did you know they released Angry Birds HD?"
"um...no, what's that?"
"oh, it's the same, but its HD and bigger! See?"
(I hit the hold button, unlock and flop it out and hand it to her)
"oh-WHAT THE FUCK?"

she wasn't happy coz I never discussed my little impulse buy with her. Whoops :(

StuFab
3rd June 2010, 09:29 PM
My girlfriend and I were playing Scrabble on ours at a coffee shop in Chadstone and a woman next to us said to her husband "Ooh look at that little laptop its even smaller than your old one"

sirstaunch
3rd June 2010, 11:05 PM
I took a 40 minute bus into town on the Saturday after delivery in a huge bag with the headphones lead coming out of it to my head. So no-one really knew what I had, probably could just hear that it was loud.
I went into JB-HiFi and looked at their displayed iPads, so they were still in stock on day two. However as the salesman fingered away on a demo model I showed him mine and explained the delivery status as what I read from MacTalk here. I didn't ask what their stock was like or how launch day went, just never thought to ask him. He was keen on getting one, but still umming and erring despite his playing with one rather then dealing with people.
As I was leaving I had to open my bag to the Security Giant at the door and as I did said to him, "this is mine, I already had one, got it yesterday". He was cool and said "realise you didn't grab from the display," then the questions, "Good/Bad?" "Battery Life?" Where did you get yours?" "etc etc..."

Today I took it into my Doc. He was impressed and have only seen little bits about them on TV and not really know anything about them. Told him be great Christmas present for the Kids. He laughed and said, "that's true."

I'm to paranoid about public places, as I've had teens steal a phone off me on a suburban bus on a trip home after just purchasing it from BIGW. I going to inherit a Man Bag I think, because my current bag is a huge schoolbag size.

However I will feel more confident when APPLE eventually sends me my case I've ordered too!!!!!!

thats awesome
4th June 2010, 02:46 AM
I don't understand why so many here are worried about taking a product out into the public where it is supposed to be used.

Not sure exactly what areas you live in, but if it's that bad maybe you should have invested the money in self defense lessens so you can have a bit more confidence.

Good lord..

forno
4th June 2010, 08:10 AM
I don't understand why so many here are worried about taking a product out into the public where it is supposed to be used.

Not sure exactly what areas you live in, but if it's that bad maybe you should have invested the money in self defense lessens so you can have a bit more confidence.

Good lord..

The best self defense is awareness of your surroundings, and acting accordingly;)

Always someone stronger, faster & more desperate than you.

joshodermatt
4th June 2010, 12:18 PM
I have taken mine out. No issues as of yet. People generally are asking about it and what the greatest feature is and what can it do.

ozerus
4th June 2010, 02:08 PM
Flopping it out right now and no one gives a crap, it's just the way I like it

Masqeurain3
4th June 2010, 06:29 PM
I use mine for uni, so I've had it out in public for well over 10 hours already

gamblor
4th June 2010, 06:35 PM
Every single day since Monday, on the tram. People look, but get over it. It is there to be used - I went with Telstra because I wanted it to work on the tram. I have it in a DODOcase which probably helps a little bit.

I use it all the time at work - laptop left at home since I got it.

auspad
4th June 2010, 08:14 PM
Is that an iPad? No, it's a lawnmower.

There may be an app for that...:D

jeffkirkland
4th June 2010, 10:43 PM
Took mine out in public (iPad that is) the day i got it. Didn't buy one not to use it. I've had one or two people ask me about it but mostly nobody seems to pay it much attention. I think the apple case makes it a little non descript.

My wife has hers in a sleeve and so her iPad always seems to get a lot of attention when she uses it. Probably because it is very recognizably an iPad. Or maybe because she looks less scary than me...

sirstaunch
5th June 2010, 12:10 AM

Good lord.. :eek:

Because they work in packs, prying around for the weak and invulnerable. They will then sneak in at the right time then swoop... they've got you. Doesn't matter if you're an over qualified defense martial art expert, like how many cops have been done over by groups of mobs lately? I'm more worried about my iPad then my life, that's why I can go out in public but the iPad lays under the comfort zone of limited viewing.

violetion
5th June 2010, 01:27 AM
you guys are not celebrities because you own iPads. plz stop. ROFL HAHA XX

adamd
5th June 2010, 02:20 AM
Told the first person today that he couldn't look at my iPad. DAMN IT FELT SO GOOD.

*he looked like a dodgy person, and I don't know him.

iJohn
5th June 2010, 08:59 AM
Umm everyone at work knows I got one and there jealous!!! So I play it up to them, I would bring it but I don't every dickhead at work touch it!!!

sirstaunch
5th June 2010, 02:00 PM
you guys are not celebrities because you own iPads. plz stop. ROFL HAHA XX

No, but if you read my first post you will see that a group of teenagers did me over my Phone on a bus of all places, so I think the iPad would be as attempting to grab off someone if not more tempting ;)