PDA

View Full Version : How much data have you used?

carlow1
3rd June 2010, 11:56 AM
How much data have you used so far on your iPad? Since last Friday I've chewed through almost 300mb. I use wi-fi at home. I use my iPad at work to view news and tech websites, and have noticed it uses lots more data than my iPhone does looking at the same sites. Somehow I don't think 1GB a month will be enough.

How is everyone else finding their data usage so far?

decryption
3rd June 2010, 12:09 PM
Since Friday I've used about 120MB.

On my iPhone in a normal month I use approx 300mb.

chaosboi
3rd June 2010, 12:09 PM
I also noticed I'm using more data than the iphone, but it's easy to browse the net, so more data used.

Balthazar
3rd June 2010, 12:22 PM
On Telstra (1GB + 2GB bonus)

Bought on Saturday but didn't really use 3G data on weekend as was on wifi most of the time.

Start count: 3072 MB
Currently: 2953.45 MB
Used: 118.55 MB

Days: 4
Usage per day: 29.63 MB
------------------------------------------------
Forecast usage at End of Month: 889.13 MB

Use case: heavy email, light browsing,light news reading through Google Reader, heavy drop box access

the_doctor
3rd June 2010, 12:41 PM
I also noticed I'm using more data than the iphone, but it's easy to browse the net, so more data used.

That's probably because it's new and a novelty. I remember when I first got my iPhone I was using heaps of data because I was using it more to test things out and I was showing every second person what it could do. You will get a better indication of your normal usage once the novelty wears off.

Tim from 3
4th June 2010, 11:33 AM
You're also not going to get a trimmed down mobile version. So many websites deliver lite versions to iphones, and the ipad is going to get the whole bloated experience :(

Be interesting to see where everyones usage patterns fall, and how the plans hold up after a few months.

The_Hawk
4th June 2010, 12:21 PM
Assuming I started with 1024mb (on Telstra) and om now down to 861mb that's 163mb in a week.

So an average of 23mb/day. I'm on WiFi at home and don't tend to use the iPad so much at work since I have my MBP connected to the net anyway...

Will be interesting to see how many people get over 1GB.

mitty
4th June 2010, 12:23 PM
My prediction is about 1.5gb at my current usage rate for the first month but we'll see.

carlow1
4th June 2010, 01:38 PM
I've now used 400MB in a week. I didn't get my ipad til late last Friday afternoon and kept it on wi-fi all weekend. So I've used 400MB in 5 days. I've noticed it jump up whenever I use the Pulse RSS reader app.

babypoppop
4th June 2010, 01:54 PM
I've used almost 500 MB since launch! Hehe.. But, I'm using it exclusively 3G because I want to use my Telstra Bonus Data before it's forfeited, because I read/hear that this cannot be rolled over. (In contrast, data that you obtain through a recharge can be rolled over =])

So if I turn WiFi on, cellular data will definitely be less than that.

GeoffP
4th June 2010, 03:50 PM
Used over 800MB to date.
About 600 of that was Mon-Sat in hospital on 3G.

jeffkirkland
4th June 2010, 11:03 PM
120mb in five days normal usage. I've been tempted to try and use all 3gb but I want to know where my average usage is going to sit.

DJY
5th June 2010, 09:54 AM
I'm only up to 150MB of data used - but I have been working full on this week. Will be interesting to watch now over the next two weeks... as I go on holidays!

Initially was going to head back to the States, but now am going to Tassie... some R&R time, so will keep my eye on data use. Lucky Telstra gave us all a bonus 2 GB eh?!

Balthazar
7th June 2010, 01:10 PM
(In contrast, data that you obtain through a recharge can be rolled over =])

Is this true? can anyone confirm? doesn't sound right, why would they set an expiry date if it rolled over?

Perhaps this is for post-paid contracts?

Cybix
7th June 2010, 01:28 PM
since i activated my Telstra micro sim last Sat, in the past 8 days I've usd 400MB total (in/out). and used the 3G almost exclusively, even at home where I have fast wifi.

DJY
14th June 2010, 12:14 PM
Well it's now more than half way through my month...
And I have just hit the half way mark of my 1GB of data but at this stage not likely to get to either of the 2GB of bonus data from Telstra.

Is good - hopefully it means for me that 1GB via pre paid data will be sufficient... But I would love them to release some iPad non pre paid or business deals please Mr Telstra if you are reading this.

joshodermatt
12th August 2010, 01:13 AM
Is this true? can anyone confirm? doesn't sound right, why would they set an expiry date if it rolled over?

This is right. If you recharge on the 30th say, and you get 500MB. If you have any data left over that 500MB and you recharge BEFORE the expiry, which is usually a month then it will rollover into your next recharge.

DJY
12th August 2010, 07:19 AM

Expiry date means consumers have to keep putting money in to it - to keep the benefit (remaining data rolling over) versus just putting one amount on there and using it over several months.

Nice income earner this way for Telstra - but at least they are allowing our remaining data to roll over.
iPad data rates are actually pretty good with Telstra though... although I would like some post paid or business iPad data deals to emerge.