PDA

View Full Version : iBooks friendly bookstores

svale
3rd June 2010, 03:48 AM
Until Apple launches a paid iBookstore in Australia, I think it'd be nice to have some sort of resource for places to get DRM-free ePubs that are compatible with iBooks. I already have a few titles in iBooks and don't really like the idea of having 3-4 other e-book readers just to read the books I want to purchase, and worse, be locked in by their DRM.

I did a bit of searching tonight and came up with a list of supported and unsupported bookstores for paid titles. If you know of any others or think I've made a mistake somewhere, please add to the thread.

iBookstore: No paid books yet. Only Gutenberg books at the moment. Books are DRM'ed for iBooks.
O'Reilly: Sells DRM-free ePub.
The Pragmatic Bookshelf: Sells DRM-free ePub.
Kobo: Sells DRM-protected ePub. Not iBooks-friendly.
Borders: Based on Kobo. Sells DRM-protected ePub. Not iBooks-friendly.
Barnes & Noble: Sells PDB. Not iBooks-friendly.
Stanza: Not sure. Anyone?
Amazon Kindle: Does not sell ePub. Not iBooks-friendly.

tcn33
3rd June 2010, 08:05 AM
Calibre converts various formats to ePub - if you can find DRM-free ebooks in other formats then Calibre can do the rest.

Kievmeister
3rd June 2010, 08:23 AM
Sitepoint books are iBooks friendly (DRM Free). Depending on the deal you get the ePub, Mobi and PDFs of the book as a package.

susiegb
3rd June 2010, 08:33 AM
Re Sitepoint books - I was wondering. I bought 2-3 books from Sitepoint in pdf format last year (part of their Vic Bushfire support benefit). Would I be able to get these into ePub format (or whatever the Apple book format is) to read on my iPad - when it ever gets delivered?

TheKeddi
3rd June 2010, 09:36 AM
Re Sitepoint books - I was wondering. I bought 2-3 books from Sitepoint in pdf format last year (part of their Vic Bushfire support benefit). Would I be able to get these into ePub format (or whatever the Apple book format is) to read on my iPad - when it ever gets delivered?

Yep! Get calibre and it does it for you.

ffkain
3rd June 2010, 10:00 AM
People should also checkout Smashwords, it sells drm-free books in a variety of formats of independent authors and publishers.

Kievmeister
3rd June 2010, 02:43 PM

You'll have to check with Sitepoint. I had bought the ebundles from them and some of my books were PDF only. However I received emails when they were available as mobi and epub to download.

Alternatively you could log-in to your account to see what is available to you. Some of my book are still PDF format only but the rest are available in multiple formats.

Hope this helps.

DJY
6th June 2010, 12:58 PM
So from looking at the original list...
a couple of those are tech book sites only.

With no indication of any timeframe for the iBook store to become mainstream... where are people buying books from?

I've bought a couple form Amazon via my kindle app.
I've read in there there is a Borders app now and a Barnes and Noble one as well?

I do like the idea of having all my books in one place though... especially in the future - when we want to be able to store books electronically but NOT on our iPad once we have read them.

Cheers

Kievmeister
6th June 2010, 01:27 PM
I have the Borders app for the iPad, the iPhone and my Macs—can't quite include the Kobo device which is being used by the missus now. The content I buy from the Borders store can only be viewed by the Borders app on my iPad and iPhone, and either the Borders app or Adobe Digital Editions viewer on the Mac—and not forgetting the Kobo device. I haven't quite figured out how to switch the content over to the Kobo app yet.

Don't have any content for the Kindle app as yet.

kyte
6th June 2010, 02:11 PM
Stanza comes with a number of paid option bookstores already installed, plus you can add your own, assuming they are Stanza compatible.

Stanza comes with:

For pay:

Books on Board
Fictionwise
O'REilly
Smashwords
All Romance ebboks

Freebies:

Feedbooks
Random House Free library (used to be heaps, down to 5 books only now)
Try Harlequin (tasters, I suppose, if you're into that sort of thing)
Project gutenberg
Books from Munseys (a surprisingly excellent collection and NOT just the same as everyone else's)
Books from Bookglutton
Pan Macmillan tasters
Sheet Music from Mutopia

Additionally there is the capacity to have books shared from your computer, or from online somewhere. You add new sources (which theoretically could be paid bookstores assuming they were Stanza compatible) via the "Shared" tab.

[edit] I've only just taken a look at epubBooks: Free eBooks for your iPad, Sony and other mobile eReader - Unleash Your Books (http://www.epubbooks.com/) and it looks like a good source. Probably have to drag/drop to itunes to get the books into iBooks though. There's also a section for commercial links/books Bestseller EPUB eBooks and Free titles - Buy and Download | epubBooks.com - Unleash Your Books (http://www.epubbooks.com/buy-epub-books)

kyte
6th June 2010, 03:56 PM
You can get your cover artwork from epubbooks, borders. amazon etc. Amazon isnt so good for it anymore though, its got this lick to look inside crap and the artwork isnt there unless a user has uploaded something. At least artwork without the "click to look inside" tag.

ednap
7th June 2010, 07:54 PM
Has anyone tried this?

myPadMedia | Download Unlimited eBooks, Comic Books, &amp Newspapers for the iPad Tablet (http://www.mypadmedia.com/index.html)

Unfortunately there are no examples of what titles are actually listed so it could be stuff that is already in the public domain or could be access to new titles.

Says it is available across the globe.

kyte
7th June 2010, 10:14 PM
Has anyone tried this?

myPadMedia | Download Unlimited eBooks, Comic Books, &amp Newspapers for the iPad Tablet (http://www.mypadmedia.com/index.html)

Unfortunately there are no examples of what titles are actually listed so it could be stuff that is already in the public domain or could be access to new titles.

Says it is available across the globe.

My advice: steer clear. I reckon someone is trying to make money off something they have no right to. They can't have "good" books or new ones at a once of payment of $49.95 (USD), its going to be the same freebies we can get anywhere.

ednap
8th June 2010, 06:52 PM
My advice: steer clear. I reckon someone is trying to make money off something they have no right to. They can't have "good" books or new ones at a once of payment of $49.95 (USD), its going to be the same freebies we can get anywhere.

Yeah I reckon you are right.

I did send them an email asking for examples of books listed but so far no reply

kyte
9th June 2010, 06:59 PM
Yeah I reckon you are right.

I did send them an email asking for examples of books listed but so far no reply

They won't be much interested in talking to you, only want your money. Stick to the regular bookstores, you'll be a happier chappy.

ednap
9th June 2010, 07:08 PM
Thanks for that. I'm still waiting on Dick Smith to let me know when my iPAD is in so till it arrives I'm currently using calibre on my PC to convert and update my ebook library.

kyte
9th June 2010, 07:09 PM
Thanks for that. I'm still waiting on Dick Smith to let me know when my iPAD is in so till it arrives I'm currently using calibre on my PC to convert and update my ebook library.

I did that initially, but just with books that I really want on board *now* even if I'm not going to read them til later. I really must install the newer version, with its recognition of iPad.