PDA

View Full Version : What's Stopping You Getting an iPad?

InflatableNerd
2nd June 2010, 12:45 PM
Unlike 2 million other people (http://www.cultofmac.com/apple-2m-ipads-sold-amid-shortage-reports/45188), I'm holding back on my iPad purchase.

These are my reasons why:

1. Price

The 16GB WiFi model may be cheap, but my day to day travels keep me away from free wifi. This means I'll be paying at least $800 for the iPad alone, then around $50 for a case and $40 on apps. As a uni student with part time employment, $900 is a big decision.

2. Waiting for OS 4.0

Of course, this holds little advantage beyond not having to update the software later. The big reason is giving myself a "cooling off" period, before I make an impulse decision.

I'm also not sold on a iPad without multi tasking. This can be achieved if I jail break it and install backgrounder, but part of me wants to go with Apple's future solution instead.

3. First gen device nervousness.

One common complaint I've heard is that mobile safari reloads webpages each time the user switches tabs. This is apparently avoidable with iCabMobile, but stems from the inherit problem of the iPad only having 256MB of RAM. This makes me want to wait until Apple builds a device that can take genuine advantage of multitasking.

So, MacTalk users, what are you waiting for in the iPad? Do you have a pet peeve that Apple needs to fix before you'll shell out your 600-1000 dollars?

gehenna
2nd June 2010, 12:51 PM
I don't have a need for it.

Vzzzbx
2nd June 2010, 12:54 PM
Price is the big one, but utility is a close second. There's no single feature that compels me to buy one. Literally everything I want to do is handled just as well, and usually better, by my iPhone, my Mac, my Ubuntu PC or a book.

NeoRicen
2nd June 2010, 12:56 PM
For me the main thing for me is the price. While I don't have a 'need' for it, I can certainly see situations where I would use it, and enjoy using it, but those situations aren't often enough, and are reasonably covered by my iPhone and Laptop at the moment that spending even $630 for a low end model is just too much.

I don't expect Apple to lower the price, and don't necessarily think they should, for me it's too much money to spend, at least until I have the money to spare.

Even if I did have the money, there aren't quite enough great apps to entice me just yet, but if the iPhone is anything to go by, this should change in the not so different future.

Even if those two things weren't an issue, I'd still probably wait for OS 4.0.

I can certainly see myself owning and using an iPad in the future, but it's probably far enough away that it won't be the current generation.

Vzzzbx
2nd June 2010, 01:20 PM
The distinctive thing about the iPhone was that it fulfilled a need.

I can remember knocking about in 2008 with my crappy Nokia 6120c, trying desperately to view web pages on the thing, regularly losing 100 words of text I'd entered because the browser would suddenly crash.

There were better devices on the market, but none of them offered true web browsing. The iPhone did.

The iPad simply doesn't fulfil a need. The only thing the iPad does that the iPhone doesn't is books and magazines, but that function is already delivered by, um, books and magazines.

Those who have bought an iPad (except developers) seemed to do so because they wanted one, not because they needed one. Most iPad owners are very happy with them, but again, does it do anything that they weren't able to do before? Apart from a few games, evidently not.

All the hype tells me I should be excited about iPads, but I'm not even interested enough to look at a demo in a shop. There's something very wrong with that.

forno
2nd June 2010, 01:26 PM
1. I will be getting a new iPhone when it hits.
2. I have no specific requirement for the iPad (iPhine can just be justified on the fact its a phone)
3. A 7D has way more pull for me, so saving for that (probaly wont happen because of a pending renovation)

twombles_62
2nd June 2010, 01:33 PM
Price and need. I have a 3G Iphone and an early 2008 macbook. I'd rather use the $600 towards buying a new macbook then eventually an iphone 5G.

skullnbones
2nd June 2010, 01:40 PM
1. First gen bug/gripe testing in the community,

2. OS 4.0 and a machine built for that OS,

3. No real need for it until I start doing my own billing in my business instead of paying an invoicing company (and then using an online billing solution optimised for iPad).

4. Price at this stage, as I would just use it to read the paper and books in theatre, which I already do on the iPhone or MB.

aokman
2nd June 2010, 01:40 PM
Most people i have shown the iPad ended up buying one, usually after saying their iphone does the job lol. Its not a necessity I agree but using the net and email on the iphone is clumsy at best the ipad is much more that the sum of its parts which is an oversized iPhone.

Everyone agreed that the larger screen and faster interface turns it into a whole new experience and most people write it off without even trying one.

Tony Arnold
2nd June 2010, 01:42 PM
My Mum.

InflatableNerd
2nd June 2010, 01:44 PM
I should note, I do not have an iPhone. I have an e63, which is capable of decent, but not perfect web browsing. I think I'd be less compelled to buy an iPad if I had an iPhone.

Vzzzbx
2nd June 2010, 01:57 PM
the ipad is much more that the sum of its parts which is an oversized iPhone.
True, but it's also an undersized laptop.

If you don't already have a good portable laptop with a solid battery, I can see the case for buying an iPad instead. But then, for $200 less than the cheapest iPad, you can pick up a decent netbook with broader utility, greater storage, a passable keyboard and SD/USB slots.

I don't intend to derail the thread, but yeah. Netbooks. That's another thing that's stopping me.

Vojtin
2nd June 2010, 02:06 PM
because of iPhone 4G

dotnet
2nd June 2010, 02:20 PM
It's mostly the lack of need for me, too. I've got an iPhone and a MBP, and while there are a few things that would work nicer on the iPad (couch surfing, games) they're not worth the extra expenditure plus the need to carry a third device.

If the iPad could replace either the iPhone or the MBP I'd seriously consider it. As is stands, I still need a phone and I'd still need the MBP to sync the iPad.

Having waited patiently for two years to get a new iPhone I'm looking forward to the next generation.

Cheers
Steffen.

mechcon
2nd June 2010, 02:33 PM
I wanted a portable computer light enough to take with me anywhere where I'd need it. At first I was thinking an iPad would be fine, but then realised that I NEED to use VMware, I need to be able to record podcasts, and I need to have the performance to edit videos.

Hence I'm going for a 13" MacBook Pro instead.

pyrite
2nd June 2010, 02:39 PM
Having too many devices is my main deterrant. The point of iPhone was to bring all my 'on the road' needs into one device I have with me all the time. For anything serious, I always have my MacBook Pro with me (It's my main work machine and never leaves my side), and another device would add complication and weight to my daily commute etc.

I'd PREFER to do all my feed reading, web surfing and ebooks on an iPad than iPhone/MBP for sure, but the benefits can't be justified for me just yet - not when I consider the fact that I'd have another device to carry around with me, I like the simplicity...

But then, I've only spent 5 mins on iPad and I immediately knew what all the fuss was about. If I had 5 more, I probably would have been sold :)

conufsed
2nd June 2010, 02:39 PM
I can justify $100 or so on ebook reading, but thats about it.

On the other hand if I get a client project for an iPad app, well then, yes I'll buy one.

rustyshelf
2nd June 2010, 02:43 PM
Apple being jerks:
It's Groundhog (Software) day again as Apple rejects already-approved app | Technology | guardian.co.uk (http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2010/jun/01/apple-app-store-rejection-groundhog-software)

Anyone want to buy an iPad?

SilverJ
2nd June 2010, 02:48 PM
At the moment I've got an iPhone 3G S, MacBook Pro and an 27" iMac at home. I spend all day at work on an iMac, then use an iPhone on the go.

I believe that the iPad is an in-between device, meaning its best used when you're traveling and/or on the daily commute, out of reach of a Mac. I feel like the iPhone was a more ground-breaking device. It also draws less attention, feels more comfortable to hold, and is more inconspicuous.

The tasks I'd do on the iPad would be the same as the iPhone. (Apart from reading a iBook/magazine). Twitter and Facebook don't really require a larger screen on the go either, I'd rather wait that hour or two for the full experience on a Mac. I also still like the look and feel of a real book when reading. I don't have to worry about it being stolen or drawing attention. A real book also can be bent, stored and can't be cracked. (within reason).

In closing, I'll be lining up day one for the next iPhone instead of getting an iPad.

craigc
2nd June 2010, 02:51 PM
The lack of Flash Support - not for me, but for my kids.

While I get the consensus that Flash sucks, my kids don't think so given that they spend the majority of their time on Flash sites.

Keving
2nd June 2010, 02:51 PM
Apple being jerks:
It's Groundhog (Software) day again as Apple rejects already-approved app | Technology | guardian.co.uk (http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2010/jun/01/apple-app-store-rejection-groundhog-software)

Anyone want to buy an iPad?

Apple are always being jerks. The Unity community are still waiting to see if they will be allowed onto 4.0 with the current developer agreement change in it.

RustySpanner
2nd June 2010, 02:58 PM
I like it but it offers little extra utility over the iPhone/iPod Touch, with the extra drawback of being too big to fit in your pocket. If the iPad had more pro-app integration I'd think about it. It's aimed squarely at consumers, but I think pro users need some love too. If it could somehow be used as a control surface to augment whatever is on your Macs screen, that would be too cool. Sort of like the optimus keyboard, but cheaper.

creation781
2nd June 2010, 03:10 PM
If the iPad could replace either the iPhone or the MBP I'd seriously consider it. As is stands, I still need a phone and I'd still need the MBP to sync the iPad.

As advertised, iPad sits between a smartphone & a laptop. So it's not meant to replace a laptop nor iPhone.....think it this way...if iPad can perform at least the same or even better than MacBook, then Apple is so stupid to create a product that will kill another product of their own.

That's why they said, iPad is to compliment iPhone & MBP (NOT to replace them).
Well...that's my thought..=)

Vzzzbx
2nd June 2010, 03:18 PM
Here's another reason: People keep referrring to it as 'iPad,' like it's a person. That's just creepy.

Keving
2nd June 2010, 03:33 PM
Here's another reason: People keep referrring to it as 'iPad,' like it's a person. That's just creepy.

Agreed, above post was a bit odd... it's an iPad, not it's iPad.

Vzzzbx
2nd June 2010, 03:40 PM
Oh, I didn't mean to highlight a specific person. It's happening all over the place, presumably because Apple's marketing weirdly insists on referring to it that way.

Angsty
2nd June 2010, 03:55 PM
1. Need
I don't have a need for an iPad yet. I under stand the 'buy it and you will discover new uses for it' approach, but I just don't see a need for it. My MacBook Air is my currrent "portable" device and I have not yet encountered a situation where I have said to myself - "I wish this darn thing was smaller/lighter/better" (I got to that point with my MBP, hence the MBA purchase)

2. Price
Price is an issue too - $1000 is not a trivial amount, especially not for 1st gen technology. (Yes, I would want the biggest, mostest, bestest version if I was to buy one :p )

3. Waiting for iPhone 4G
Whee - I have finally reached that point where I am ready to get an iPhone (iPhone virgin no more!!) My 6 year old mobile phone annoys the heck out of me every time I use it now-a-days so I finally have the motivation and justification to spend the money on the iPhone.
In addition, I plan to tether the iPhone to my Air, so I can finally have internet access during the work day (yes, my workplace firewall blocks *everything* :( )

LOL - by the time I am ready to think about getting an iPad, the next new thing will have just been released.... I seem to be 1 gen of product releases behind....

Ang

dotnet
2nd June 2010, 04:31 PM
While I get the consensus that Flash sucks, my kids don't think so given that they spend the majority of their time on Flash sites.

I know what you mean, my kids play heaps of free Flash games, too. However, even with Flash support I cannot imagine how these games would work on a touch device??? My guess is, they simply wouldn't.

That's why they said, iPad is to compliment iPhone & MBP (NOT to replace them)

I understand that but I personally do not want to buy (and carry around) a third device just because it does a few things here and there better than the two devices I already own.

imacattack
2nd June 2010, 04:49 PM
I will only get it on A plan at this stage and they don't have any yet.

gikku
2nd June 2010, 04:51 PM
1./ I have an iPhone, actually I have two. :p
and waiting for iPhone 4Gs/HD or whatever

2./ I have a Macbook. :p
no activate in iTunes nonsense.
no sync to get your content nonsense.
Refurb Macbooks can be had for $959. Refurbished MacBook 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - Apple Store (Australia) (http://store.apple.com/au_epp_85067/product/FC207X/A?mco=MTU5MjkwMjk)
why would you want a $900 10" iPod Touch? beyond belief, really!
iPad - Apple Store (Australia) (http://store.apple.com/au_epp_85067/browse/home/shop_ipad/family/ipad?mco=OTY2ODA0NQ)

3./ I have a Mac Netbook, Acer One hackintosh. well it's junk really but has full Mac OS X 10.6, USB ports, ethernet,... multitasking, Safari, Firefox and Chrome, uTorrent, Tweetie and ... all. magic.
It has legs so it sits on a desk, table, chair, whatever. The screen is hinged to support multiple viewing angle options from that desk, table, chair, amazing really. It doesn't need to be sync'd with another device to get content onto it.
:p

InflatableNerd
2nd June 2010, 05:07 PM
2./ I have a Macbook. :p
Refurb Macbooks can be had for $959. Refurbished MacBook 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - Apple Store (Australia) (http://store.apple.com/au_epp_85067/product/FC207X/A?mco=MTU5MjkwMjk)
why would you want a $900 10" iPod Touch? beyond belief, really!

On another note, what's with Apple Refurb not discounting MacBooks? Currently, (http://store.apple.com/au_epp_85067/browse/home/specialdeals/mac?mco=OTY2ODY3Nw) only iMacs and MacBook Airs are receiving any price reductions.

James01
2nd June 2010, 05:09 PM
I'm studying computer science, so I need to have a 'proper' computer with me every day. This means I couldn't completely replace my MacBook with an iPad, so I'd have to carry both of them with me everywhere and switch between them frequently. No thanks...the fewer devices I have to carry around the better.

Having said that, I do think that iPad is an awesome device. If it suited my lifestyle better I'd buy one without a second thought.

aokman
2nd June 2010, 05:53 PM
True, but it's also an undersized laptop.

If you don't already have a good portable laptop with a solid battery, I can see the case for buying an iPad instead. But then, for $200 less than the cheapest iPad, you can pick up a decent netbook with broader utility, greater storage, a passable keyboard and SD/USB slots.

I don't intend to derail the thread, but yeah. Netbooks. That's another thing that's stopping me.

you are correct on that front and i have my 15" Fujitsu laptop but let me throw some advantages about the iPad at you instead of just disadvantages that people constantly go on about.

- Its instant on instead of waiting 1-2 minutes for a bootup
- Its instant off instead of waiting for the laptop to hibernate every time
- I can access it instantly in the car for quick checks
- My email and IM push through while im driving place to place
- Its about 1/2 the width of my laptop and 1/4 the thickness (very easy to carry)
- It does 90% of the tasks i needed from my laptop with a few apps installed
- I dont have a 3G dongle sticking out of the side of it
- Battery lasts 2 days instead of 3hrs from the laptop

Granted what people need from their devices vary but i use my laptop for a lot of stuff. Netbooks are an alternative i agree but both sides have advantages and disadvantages.

It was plain to see the other day when i was having lunch with a mate though when he pulled out his big block of a laptop and waited for it to boot up to accept a job and i just flip mine open quickly and jump on in 5 secs. Surfing the net side by side for size comparison had many people commenting aswell LOL.

It is only the beginning of iPad i think, if the next generation can incorporate just 1 USB for various tasks and perhaps some sort of file system it will replace my laptop permanently in the field.

gikku
2nd June 2010, 06:08 PM

The iPad i've played with has a boot up/shutdown time.
Yes, it has instant on from sleep, or screensaver but so does my MacBook. No swiping required on MacBook, just lift the lid.

I love the iPad, brilliant screen, terrific execution.
Just like the iPod Touch, I don't understand the demand for it outside grandmothers and toddlers.

Keving
2nd June 2010, 06:10 PM
Yes, it has instant on from sleep, or screensaver but so does my MacBook.

But you would never turn your iPad on / off overnight/moving around.

That's just how it rolls.

aokman
2nd June 2010, 06:12 PM
Yes, it has instant on from sleep, or screensaver but so does my MacBook.

who turns their iPad off? it uses almost no power at all when you just put it to sleep? The laptop on the other hand has to be hibernated or standby, both take a while to resume again then i have to relaunch all the apps and wireless internet.

snark
2nd June 2010, 06:14 PM
I don't have an immediate need for it.
I'm waiting for v2 before I reconsider.

Vzzzbx
2nd June 2010, 06:41 PM
aokman:

Very good point. For my use it doesn't matter because the iPhone does that for me on the go, and everywhere else the PCs are always on or take 20-odd seconds to boot. But you've convinced me.

Do people still hibernate things? Really? I suppose you'd have to hibernate a laptop if you got around with one and used it loads.

- I can access it instantly in the car for quick checks
- My email and IM push through while im driving place to place

iPhone.

- Its about 1/2 the width of my laptop and 1/4 the thickness (very easy to carry)
- It does 90% of the tasks i needed from my laptop with a few apps installed
- I dont have a 3G dongle sticking out of the side of it
- Battery lasts 2 days instead of 3hrs from the laptop

Damn, you win.

It is only the beginning of iPad i think, if the next generation can incorporate just 1 USB for various tasks and perhaps some sort of file system it will replace my laptop permanently in the field.

Yeah. I'm sure that it (or something similar) will either be preferable or vital in a couple of years. A significant price drop will have to occur, though.

gikku
2nd June 2010, 06:47 PM
who turns their iPad off? it uses almost no power at all when you just put it to sleep? The laptop on the other hand has to be hibernated or standby, both take a while to resume again then i have to relaunch all the apps and wireless internet.

Mac laptops, MacBooks, also have instant on from sleep, and have had for 10 years with OS X 10.
I don't power down my MacBook. Restarts from software updates only. Current uptime is 21d 1h 4m

aokman
2nd June 2010, 06:50 PM
Mac laptops, MacBooks, also have instant on from sleep, and have had for 10 years with OS X 10.
I don't power down my MacBook. Restarts from software updates only. Current uptime is 21d 1h 4m

Very true but i am not using a mac laptop and they are still much slower than an ipad when you have to relaunch everything and open it up in the car, cant exactly do it while your sitting at a red light.

darksplat
2nd June 2010, 07:00 PM
the thing that is stopping me is the fact that there is no buy button on the online store!

fr05ty
2nd June 2010, 07:03 PM
for me i'm starting to think that the iphone os is getting stale i've had my 3gs since it came out and all the screens look a mess (and yes everything has a place but 6 screens is to much) i hardly use the native apps and want to remove them.
I would rather wait and see what rev 2 brings to the table.
Lastly price is another factor i feel it 200 too much for me on any model

JNRidgway15
2nd June 2010, 07:38 PM
the thing that is stopping me is the fact that there is no buy button on the online store!

I know I am ready to pull the trigger and buy a 64gb WiFi version and you cant order one!! :mad:

darksplat
2nd June 2010, 08:05 PM
Do we know why this is the case? why doesnt the store just say june or july? and if you cant get a ipad from the online store does that mean that we have exchusted all of aust stock already?

DeKa
2nd June 2010, 08:08 PM
My reason is that there is no multi user capability. I want to have an account for my wife and I, and a guest account, just like our iMac. I don't want to hand my iPad over to someone to play with, and have them accessing everything, rearranging my apps and so on.

NORMANDY
2nd June 2010, 08:20 PM
dito on the multi accounts, plus no camera is a deal breaker, no real multitask, version 2 or 3 will better, and so will the web when many of the sites I visit are flash based, this will chnage, so when it does, then I will be ready for an ipad.

Also many ipads apps are just the same as iphone ones... again this will change, and when it does I will be ready, in 2-3 years time I will be ready for an ipad and the web will have caught up to it.

FineWine
2nd June 2010, 11:28 PM
1 - 1st Gen wows etc
2 - Camera so I can lounge room skype
3 - More AU eBook publishers

icant
2nd June 2010, 11:36 PM
I can foresee a few upcoming spendings: iPhone 4 & the usual accessories if needed.

Also the product seems incomplete now that OS 4 has been demonstrated.

If I buy an iPad, there’ll be extra spending on that as well—i.e. apps ± case ±*accessories.

I’m trying to keep it simple, so an iPad just doesn’t fit my needs now.

Lastly, I haven’t seen one yet; waiting for the Apple Store crowds to settle.

SilverJ
2nd June 2010, 11:52 PM
If Apple make an upgrade each year for the iPad like they do with the iPhone, I'd be keen to get the next revision. I think the media industry needs a year to really refine and perfect it's content for the iPad. No seperate apps for magazine issues etc.

Then it will be awesome, but it's just not there yet in my eyes.
With a new iPhone around the corner, I'm afraid the iPad is lacking the wow factor in comparison.

thats awesome
3rd June 2010, 12:08 AM
The reason I haven't rushed out to purchase one is due to the fact I see absolutely no need for it in my life. Not only do I see no need, I don't see a place for where it would/could fit.

I don't see why I would need an enlarged iPod touch.

Some say they use it:
1)commuting to and from their daily watering hole
2)on the couch to surf the internet
3)reading books
4)in bed for god knows what reason

Personally:
1) I enjoy reading the newspaper or taking in the daily scenery
2) My laptop does a great job at surfing the web, it also shows flash wonderfully
3) I have a large collection of paperback books + multiple university libraries so that is how I like to take in my reading material
4) Well...when it comes to my bed I tend to sleep in it rather than play with gadgets to be quite honest.

gareth
3rd June 2010, 12:30 AM
Im just waiting to see the next iphone first.

icant
3rd June 2010, 01:31 AM
One other reason was I can’t see Apple maintaining 6 different versions of a single product. I think that some of these will be culled, and IMO is that there isn’t any reason to sell the wifi-only models. All of them should have the 3G radio, and buyers can choose not to use them. Especially with networks creating contract-less deals for the iPad (so buyers can buy access month by month as needed).

Then after culling, the pricing will be revised.

I don’t mind getting the “iPhone 3G 8GB” version of the iPad. But it would be heartbreaking to get the iPad that eventually becomes the “iPhone EDGE 4GB” model that is quickly abandoned.

There are also too many “unknowns” about the product. I had no idea that interactive magazines would be half a gigabyte, or that software would be premium priced, or what pricing and selection is like on iBookstore…

I just learned today what Apple’s “repair policy” for user-damaged iPads was:
http://forums.mactalk.com.au/57/86438-dissapointed-apples-response.html

I’d rather let the dust settle, than (pay to) be part of it.

DanGleibitz
3rd June 2010, 07:18 AM
I'm a bit confused by several who say the price is too high then go on to say they have one or more iPhones...

Is it because the phones were available on an (expensive) plan for people who can't save?

I think they're incredibly cheap.

gikku
3rd June 2010, 08:32 AM
I'm a bit confused by several who say the price is too high then go on to say they have one or more iPhones...

Is it because the phones were available on an (expensive) plan for people who can't save?

second phone is on a work supplied plan ;)

DIESELBOY
3rd June 2010, 08:45 AM
I've got to many bills to pay at the moment. I juz bought my new place couple of months ago and until now am still paying for it. But if you gonna ask me, I love to have an iPad. :)

...and the rumors about the iPhone 4G made me feel like I have to prioritise of having one that first instead of the iPad. :)

Vzzzbx
3rd June 2010, 09:50 AM

They do less than cheaper netbooks.

By contrast, the iPhone costs about as much as any equivalent smartphone. It probably shouldn't, but it does.

I'm not saying the iPad is a rip-off, I'm saying it's not worth the $600-1,000 expense for those of us who don't need one.

icant
3rd June 2010, 09:52 AM
I'm not saying the iPad is a rip-off, I'm saying it's not worth the $600-1,000 expense for those of us who don't need one.

Nothing is worth any money for those who don’t need one.

(I’m agreeing with you).

Vzzzbx
3rd June 2010, 10:32 AM
I wanted a Wii and paid $400 for it at launch. Didn't need it. Didn't use it much, either. :)

~Coxy
3rd June 2010, 10:32 AM
Very true but i am not using a mac laptop and they are still much slower than an ipad when you have to relaunch everything and open it up in the car, cant exactly do it while your sitting at a red light.

You keep saying this, but why would you shut down all your applications on a laptop? Just close the lid and when you reopen it all your apps will be there just as you left them.

If anything the iPad takes longer to get going again because you have to reopen its apps too (assuming you return to the home screen before turning off the device.)

wise
3rd June 2010, 10:33 AM
stock.

chriszor
7th June 2010, 08:07 PM
The reasons i haven't bought one yet are;
1-price
2-new iPhone..?
3-storage - not enough
4-lack of flash support which will never happen but html5 isn't used widely enough yet for me i think..

The Fluffy Duck
7th June 2010, 08:27 PM
One word......Stylus.

For uni so I can jot down notes, diagrams, maths equations etc.
As an artists so I can do sketches etc.

If It did have a stylus I could ditch my laptop and half my paper for uni. It would make the device a productivity device not a content consuming device IMO.

And No the "pogo stylus" doesnt cut it at all.

torana355
7th June 2010, 09:10 PM
Im waiting for the 4G I-Phone. I have no use for a portable device to browse the internet. I use my I-Mac if i want to go on the net due to poor flash support on the I-Pad. Also the Iphone can do almost everything the I-pad can do (Except on a smaller screen) plus it is a phone lol. If the I-Pad fully supported flash im sure there would be a much larger market for them.

cosmo
8th June 2010, 07:46 AM
Two really simple reasons:

1) Living in a country where they haven't been released yet.

2) Lack of stock when I do visit a country where they have been released.

Otherwise I'd be all over it like a fat kid on a toffee apple......

edit: and seen the release of the new iPhone and went, "meh"

DeKa
8th June 2010, 07:59 AM
I have one new thing to add. The iPad doesn't support UMTS 900 ... I wouldn't buy one until it did.

PrincessHayley_xo
8th June 2010, 01:05 PM
One reason: I don't need one.

Mychael
8th June 2010, 05:47 PM
1/ Not enough need for that sort of device is the primary reason.
2/ Lack of surplus income to buy one anyway.
3/ First gen caution.
4/ Why look at a little screen when I can see the same thing only better on the big screen of my home computer.

geekygirl
8th June 2010, 06:29 PM
1: I got a big fat tax bill when they came out over here - aka currently broke lol
2: I have been on the fence about this or a netbook
3: Still not sure, but starting to think the iPad will be better than a netbook as its just for surfing out and about....