PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on upgrading



inrainbows
2nd June 2010, 11:58 AM
I have a 15 inch MBP that I purchased in September 2007. 2.2 GHz C2D, 2GB DDR2 and 128 Mb graphics. No Applecare also.

I kinda figured it would have bitten the dust by now and that I would be looking at replacing it but I'm not so sure. It still runs super fast whether I'm just web browsing or using Ableton Live. The only problem I have is the battery which only lasts about an hour on full charge. I would have replaced it by now but I figured I would be upgrading soon and that there is no point. I am also a bit worried that given its age, it could just die at any time as this has happened to some of my friends' Macs.

I waited for the latest revisions but the 13 inch models still don't even seem like that much of an upgrade. 2.4 GHz, 4Gb RAM, no dedicated graphics and a smaller screen for the base model. The bigger battery would be great but I'm still not compelled to upgrade. I could end up going for the 15" again but I think it would be overkill.

The other issue is that I am going on exchange to the USA in the next few months. I was thinking of buying one there as it would be cheaper but with the exchange rate as it is it's probably actually more expensive.

I also want to take it travelling beforehand so the bigger battery on the new models would be awesome but I'm also reluctant to take a brand new computer on a trip, even with insurance.

So I have a computer that (other than battery life) does everything I need it to however I am keen to upgrade (given I am travelling soon and it seems about time) to a new model (probably 13"). The alternative is to spend $150 on a new battery and keep it until the next revision (which is probably another 6-8 months away).

Any advice?

Pink
2nd June 2010, 12:50 PM
Seems like you're pretty happy with what you have already, apart from the battery life, so I would just buy a new battery.

NeoRicen
2nd June 2010, 01:08 PM
Yeah I'd probably just buy a battery and wait until the next revision.

However I would keep in mind that even though the graphics aren't dedicated, they are probably still more capable than the dedicated graphics in the '07 MBP, at least for certain tasks (it'd be worth looking up some benchmarks, because they're probably close enough to at least compare). Also the 2.4ghz C2D probably has a bunch of under the hood improvements that would make it more powerful than the 200mhz would imply.

Also, there are other improvements you might want to consider. The Unibody enclosure is really really solid, nice and durable. There's also the enormous glass trackpad which I personally love (and the new models have inertial scrolling also) and as you mentioned there's also the longer lasting battery.

But still, it sounds like your current machine suits your needs perfectly, so as long as you can resist those other features until the next generation (which you've managed to do until now), or longer, you might as well just replace the battery and keep it going until it really starts to fall apart.

I suppose it comes down to money. If the cost of the MBP is a drop in the ocean to you, go for it, if it's a large enough amount that you want to make sure you're getting the most out of it, you should probably just wait until the advantage over your current model is as large as it can get before the current one falls apart.

Well, that ended up being much more than the one sentence I had intended to write...

idiesel
2nd June 2010, 09:42 PM
Save your money and invest in a new battery, and buy when the next revision comes along with better performance and cheaper price....you win all 'round :)