PDA

View Full Version : Bank Raid

clifft
12th September 2005, 10:35 PM
Is this a worry, or not? A work-mate of mine, who does all his internet banking at the ANZ using an iMac and Safari, discovered the other day that money had been stolen from one of his accounts. This was in 2 lots of $5000 and one of $4500. He contacted the bank and they found that it had been done by two separate people in Australia and that $10,000 of the money was still sitting in some guy's account a week after it had been moved. Sounds fishy to me!! Anyway, the bank froze the accounts and the money is being refunded. The bank investigated my work-mates' account and made him buy a virus checker for mac. He found several viruses and Trojan horses but I reckon they are just sitting there as Windows viruses brought in as e-mail attachments so should be harmless to him. The bank reckon differently and say they are common viruses they deal with in such cases. They also say that they do have cases of Macs being affected!!! Now, of course, he is convinced that his Mac isn't secure and will keep the anti-virus software on. I feel that the bank have no clue about Mac security and are taking the easy way out and blaming these Windows viruses rather than looking further in the bank for an answer. What do others think about this? There has been no publicity anywhere else about such a thing occuring so I have strong doubts it is due to his Mac. Also, if you were raiding accounts, you wouldn't do it in the same country nor would you keep it in your account. Any thoughts? Clifft

the_cripple
12th September 2005, 10:42 PM
Well from what ive read macs can get viruses but viruses are mainly written to affect windows flaws.

ANyway the whole story sounds abit fishy, especially since the cash stayed in the account for over a week.

marc
12th September 2005, 10:45 PM
Sounds like total BS.

koala
13th September 2005, 12:37 AM
your mates story is crap.

feeze
13th September 2005, 02:04 AM
There has been zero Mac OS X virus in the wild to date and only one trojan, which only deleted files.

Trust me if there was, it would be making the front cover of Time magazine. You would hear about it.

The only way I believe this information could of come off his Mac is if it was cracked and the hacker got the passwords off his keychain.

If this story is true than I suggest your mate kick up a big song and dance and insist that the bank investigate this further.

Currawong
13th September 2005, 06:40 AM
How did the bank say the money was transferred? Using internet banking? Maybe he saved his password somewhere that someone else accessed? Was the person who stole the money someone he knows? Did he respond to a phishing email ever?

QueenOfSwords
13th September 2005, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by Currawong@Sep 13 2005, 06:40 AM
Did he respond to a phishing email ever?
That'd be where I'd start looking. Your mate sounds vague enough (sorry) to get one of those 'special' emails from the ANZ or whoever and punch in his username and password.