PDA

View Full Version : iPad with telstra CreditMe2U

K3G
1st June 2010, 12:47 PM
Hey guys.
I want to test out Telstra's CreditMe2U feature and see if it works between a regular prepaid phone plan and a microsim prepaid plan.

I have more credit than I need this month so does anyone with a Telstra want some free credit to test out this feature?

decryption
1st June 2010, 12:56 PM
I've tried it and it works :)
Sent $30 from a post-paid mobile acct to the pre-paid iPad account.

babypoppop
1st June 2010, 01:05 PM

wow that's awesome. did you do that in one go? and does that now give you 3GB of data?

i'm currently using telstra prepaid on my mobile and it only limits me to $10 creditme2u a day.

K3G
1st June 2010, 01:05 PM
Hehe. Neat. But now what am I suposed to do with all this credit?

chaosboi
1st June 2010, 01:31 PM
So, what happens when you transfer $10 credit to the iPhone prepaid sim?

Thrymr
1st June 2010, 01:46 PM

Neat. I raised the idea of this in one of the Telstra threads (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/55/75958-telstra-prepaid-spectacular-10.html#post977930), but wasn't really sure how Telstra would handle this.

I assume you made three $10 transfers (with a transaction cost of 3 x 25c)? Are you able to purchase browsing packs with that $30, or is a data rate applied to your credit (if so, what's the rate)? And is your credit expiry date 14 days from your last transfer?

Sorry for the twenty questions. ;)

babypoppop
1st June 2010, 02:56 PM
Neat. I raised the idea of this in one of the Telstra threads (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/55/75958-telstra-prepaid-spectacular-10.html#post977930), but wasn't really sure how Telstra would handle this.

I assume you made three $10 transfers (with a transaction cost of 3 x 25c)? Are you able to purchase browsing packs with that $30, or is a data rate applied to your credit (if so, what's the rate)? And is your credit expiry date 14 days from your last transfer?

yea.. i read this before. but i think no one has tried and tested it because no one dares too due to the lack of information! :p

maybe K3G could do it and see how it works then report the results to us!

decryption
1st June 2010, 03:07 PM

Nah, 2x $15 transactions.

I assume a data rate is applied to the credit, it doesn't state the rate. All the credit I have is the bonus pack data that comes with the SIM + $30 balance.

Credit expiry is 30 days (says my credit expires 01 July 2010).

K3G
1st June 2010, 03:10 PM
maybe K3G could do it and see how it works then report the results to us!

Mate I'd love to but I don't have an ipad just a iPhone with Telstra prepaid. If someone with a Telstra ipad wants me to donate some credit to them I'd be happy to.

suprnovaynwa
1st June 2010, 03:41 PM

I assume a data rate is applied to the credit, it doesn't state the rate. All the credit I have is the bonus pack data that comes with the SIM + $30 balance.

Are you on a cap plan? If so, when you transfer the credit, does the money come from your cap value, or do you pay extra on the next bill?

If it comes from the cap value, you may as well recharge the microsim every 14 days with Me2U - that's unless the data rate is really expensive...

decryption
1st June 2010, 03:57 PM
Are you on a cap plan? If so, when you transfer the credit, does the money come from your cap value, or do you pay extra on the next bill?

If it comes from the cap value, you may as well recharge the microsim every 14 days with Me2U - that's unless the data rate is really expensive...

Nah, I'm not on a cap plan.

chaosboi
1st June 2010, 04:17 PM
Now this is starting to sound good.

If I recharge my Telstra prepaid with $40, I get 200 voice minutes, 400 txt and then use $20 for 300MB for my iPhone.
Then use credit2me to transfer $20 to my iPad and get 1GB for iPad data.

So all up $40 per month gets heaps of value.

Woo hoo!

Latest Offers - Pre-Paid Mobile Phones - Telstra (http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile/prepaid/latestoffers/)

carlow1
1st June 2010, 06:08 PM
Can you do the transfer online, or is it from your mobile only? I've tried looking for this on the Telstra website, but can only find pre-paid option. I need to do it form my post-paid plan.

chaosboi
1st June 2010, 06:14 PM
Can you do the transfer online, or is it from your mobile only?

I've only found it on the web portal on my iPhone.

decryption
1st June 2010, 06:17 PM
Can you do the transfer online, or is it from your mobile only? I've tried looking for this on the Telstra website, but can only find pre-paid option. I need to do it form my post-paid plan.

On your post-paid phone, dial #100# and a menu will pop up :)

http://onemorething.com.au/imgdump/IMG_0053-20100601-181718.jpg

Thrymr
1st June 2010, 06:37 PM

Thanks!

For now, I'm going to assume that the highest rate of 2c per MB (http://www.telstra.com.au/latest_offers/ipad/index.html) is applied, which is still pretty good in my opinion.

Now this is starting to sound good.

If I recharge my Telstra prepaid with $40, I get 200 voice minutes, 400 txt and then use $20 for 300MB for my iPhone.
Then use credit2me to transfer $20 to my iPad and get 1GB for iPad data.

I'm in the same boat, although I'm looking to just use $10 for 150 MB on the iPhone, then depending on whether Telstra applies a data rate of 2c per MB or 1c per MB, channel the remaining $30 toward either 1.5 GB or 3 GB on the iPad, respectively.

Anyway, let us know how it works out for you. I have to wait until I consume the starter kit's bonus 3 GB data before I can test this out, and I'm nowhere near that stage at the moment. :D

So all up $40 per month gets heaps of value.

Woo hoo!

Agreed. One recharge a month for two devices. Thumbs up all-round!

forno
22nd June 2010, 12:57 PM
Where the **** do I find creditme2u on the iPhone or online from a desktop?

babypoppop
22nd June 2010, 02:15 PM
Where the **** do I find creditme2u on the iPhone or online from a desktop?

Dial #100# and go from there. The menu is slightly different for Postpaid and Prepaid numbers, but you should be able to find it from there.

Otherwise, access m.bigpond.com via Safari, click on the My tab and select the Prepaid Transfer option under My Account. If you're doing it via Safari, make sure you're connected to the Internet via 3G/EDGE/GSM (i.e. turn off WiFi).

chaosboi
22nd June 2010, 03:09 PM
the only down side I have seen, is your credit transfered to the ipad only lasts 14 days.

forno
22nd June 2010, 03:29 PM
Dial #100# and go from there. The menu is slightly different for Postpaid and Prepaid numbers, but you should be able to find it from there.

Otherwise, access m.bigpond.com via Safari, click on the My tab and select the Prepaid Transfer option under My Account. If you're doing it via Safari, make sure you're connected to the Internet via 3G/EDGE/GSM (i.e. turn off WiFi).

Cheers, i didnt even jerry to the m.bigpond option!:cool:

drzeus
27th June 2010, 03:57 PM
the only down side I have seen, is your credit transfered to the ipad only lasts 14 days.

Hmm that's a big downer as you might as well go with the real ipad plan.

Guys any updates on all this?

Would this work?
-Recharge prepaid mobile
-credit me2u $10 to Telstra microSIM (I assume you would have the full 30 days given you are sending it just after you recharged???)
-Use that $10 at a rate of 2c/MB (?)

Any thoughts?

Thrymr
27th June 2010, 04:26 PM
Hmm that's a big downer as you might as well go with the real ipad plan.

Not really. It's still a way to use unused pre-paid mobile credit, and transferring and using $10 every 14 days at the highest rate of 2c/MB is pretty close to what a $20 recharge offers. But that's in theory. In practice, we'll soon find out. I'll be testing it in a few hours when my initial data packs expire, so stay tuned.

drzeus
27th June 2010, 05:28 PM
Not really. It's still a way to use unused pre-paid mobile credit, and transferring and using $10 every 14 days at the highest rate of 2c/MB is pretty close to what a $20 recharge offers. But that's in theory. In practice, we'll soon find out. I'll be testing it in a few hours when my initial data packs expire, so stay tuned.

yep you're quite correct... At 2c/Mb it works out to 1GB per $20 so this could work out well.

Please let us know if it works once you've done it...

thanks!

babypoppop
28th June 2010, 12:22 PM
yep you're quite correct... At 2c/Mb it works out to 1GB per $20 so this could work out well.

Please let us know if it works once you've done it...

thanks!

any updates? i'm sure most Telstra subscribers have expired today if they activate it at launch.

Thrymr
28th June 2010, 12:31 PM
any updates? i'm sure most Telstra subscribers have expired today if they activate it at launch.

Here's an update.

I transferred $10 from my Telstra Pre-Paid Mobile to my Telstra Pre-Paid iPad this morning (June 28). It was instantaneous. And as expected, it cost 25 cents.

I checked My Account on the iPad and my balance read $10.00 with an expiry date of July 12 (exactly 14 days from today). I then loaded google.com, facebook.com, and apple.com, all without a hitch. I'm now waiting a little while for Telstra to register it as a session. Once that's done, I'll check My History to see what data rate Telstra has applied to my credit, then report back here.

Thrymr
28th June 2010, 02:56 PM
Once that's done, I'll check My History to see what data rate Telstra has applied to my credit, then report back here.

Okay, time for an update.

According to My History, the pages I loaded amounted to 829.44 KB. Telstra deducted a total of 4 cents. So, it appears as though Telstra has applied a rate of around 5c/MB to my credit. This matches one poster's findings on WP. However, other WP posters are reporting data rates as high as 7.5c/MB and 8.9c/MB.

I called Telstra to find out what their data rate rules are, and they stated that a data rate higher than 2c/MB would apply to $10 transfers. They couldn't give me a specific figure. However, standard 2c/MB and 1c/MB data rates would apply to transfers of $20 and $30+ respectively, both of which are only applicable to post-paid mobile customers since pre-paid mobile customers are restricted to daily transfers of $10.

Now, I've since performed another test. I loaded another set of pages amounting to 1.7 MB received and 148 KB sent. Telstra deducted a total of 9 cents for that, again suggesting a rate of around 5c/MB.

So, at 5c/MB, $10 will get you 200 MB over a 14-day period. If you're a pre-paid mobile customer who typically accrues unused credit and doesn't require much data on the iPad, then Credit Me2U is still a suitable option. But if you need more data, then you're better off recharging directly.

fleegle
28th June 2010, 03:00 PM
I transferred $10 this morning without any problems.

I've had one session of 6,429,696 bytes for which I was charged $0.31.

That seems to support your 5c/MB estimate.

drzeus
28th June 2010, 04:03 PM
Thanks for feeding back the results to us guys. The results are encouraging, even for the fact that unfortunately the expiry is only 14 days and the c/MB rate is higher. At least we get to use some of our excess credit without it going to waste.

I think I'll be picking up a Telstra microSim for mine tomorrow then...

glitch
28th June 2010, 06:22 PM
Why not just buy a datablock with the me2U credit? that will have a life of 30days and $20 would buy you 1GB on the iPad.

(or have i missed something specific to the iPad?)

Thrymr
28th June 2010, 06:52 PM
Why not just buy a datablock with the me2U credit? that will have a life of 30days and $20 would buy you 1GB on the iPad.

It's not the same as pre-paid mobiles; you can only purchase international browsing packs on the iPad. Your effective data allowance is based on your data rate and the amount of credit available.

bigg
29th June 2010, 10:29 AM
My 1st month credit expired and i transferred over $10 this morning.

For some reason i needed to reboot the iPad before it would work.
Once rebooted was done all good.

i guess ill keep doing this now

drzeus
29th June 2010, 01:25 PM

Hmm that is a VERY good point.

I wonder if it would be better to get a standard Telstra prepaid SIM, cut it down to microsim and use that instead? When iPhone 4 is out, I'm sure Telstra will have micro-sims across their prepaid plan range.

Benefits:
Can buy data packs that will last for full 30 days

Cons:
$20 will only get you 300MB (150MB /$10 on prepaid) not 1GB like the ipad

babypoppop
30th July 2010, 12:21 PM
Has anyone tried transferring credit from a NextG postpaid cap plan to the iPad prepaid plan?

I would like to know if the credit is deducted from your available NextG cap plan credit, or otherwise.