PDA

View Full Version : Trouble Copying From A Fat32 Drive

marc
12th September 2005, 06:53 PM
The short version: I have a USB HD with some data that's been recovered from an old internal HD. The drive has come back to me formatted as FAT32. Everything seems fine (ie. I can use the files from the drive). Some of the icons aren't correct (they have a generic terminal exe icon), but the files open.

I'm trying to copy all the files to another HD, but in the middle of the copy, I get this error:
http://www.obliquemusic.co.uk/forumimages/error.jpg

I'm assuming this is because of the way the drive is formatted and because it's trying to copy all the hidden files (like "Icon" etc). I can see all the hidden files on the drive, but I don't care about those... just my data. If copy one file at a time it'll work, but I have 20GB+ of data and lots of folders. Plus, I don't want to risk me missing anything.

Any suggestions?

mac_man_luke
12th September 2005, 07:00 PM
turn on invisible files and delete all the .ds_stores etc

The Architect.mac
12th September 2005, 07:00 PM
As silly as this sounds

I would try to USB (USB-IDE Adapter or enclosure) the drive into a Windows XP PC and copy the data to anoter FAT drive and then go from that one. My thinking is that Windows will not recognise the data or file systems and just copy it. Why do I think this will work when you plug it back into the Mac? - just think it will have been processed and placed onto a new drive (which could be formatted FAT under OSX). Regardless the data will be hard-copied on another drive as a backup.

Cheers

marc
12th September 2005, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by mac_man_luke@Sep 12 2005, 07:00 PM
turn on invisible files and delete all the .ds_stores etc
Thanks!

I'll give it a shot.

The Architect.mac :: Thanks as well. Unfortunately, I'm not near a PC :(

marc
12th September 2005, 07:50 PM
No go :(

Seems like searches can't find ".DS_Store".

dangelovich
12th September 2005, 08:01 PM
Doesn't putting mac files on FAT-32 volumes cause them to lose their resource forks?
Do they even have resource forks any more?

I'm probably just thinking back to my old System 7 days of file transfers...

marc
12th September 2005, 08:02 PM
iSlayer's the man.

Terminal fixes everything.

For those interested... "cp -r <source> <destination>" did it.

iSlayer
12th September 2005, 08:04 PM
by the way
the -r flag is depreciated but still works in tiger.
so you wont find much about it in "man cp"

gelfie
12th September 2005, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by dangelovich@Sep 12 2005, 08:01 PM
Doesn&#39;t putting mac files on FAT-32 volumes cause them to lose their resource forks?
Do they even have resource forks any more?

I&#39;m probably just thinking back to my old System 7 days of file transfers...
Yes some mac files and applicaitons still use resource forks.

Yes putting one of these files on a non HFS drive does break them.

It is always best to put your files inside a dmg image, then copy that image to the foreign drive.

The same is true when Tarring and Gziping files. It will break the resource forks.

Use Apple&#39;s "Make Archive" command from the Finder instead.

And finally: Resource forks SUCK&#33;

purana
12th September 2005, 09:15 PM
.DS_store files store the information relating to window position and icon positions for that directory when you open it in finder. Think they also contain some other details but they escape me for the moment ;)

marc
13th September 2005, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by gelfie@Sep 12 2005, 08:42 PM
Yes putting one of these files on a non HFS drive does break them.
Quite a few of the files I&#39;m after are ok, or can be fixed by adding the correct extension and/or forcing open in the app. Some aren&#39;t though. I&#39;m now trying to recover all the sound designer 2 sound files (.sd2 extension, ".sd2f" file type).

Does anyone know how to repair these?

I&#39;m getting a bit desperate :(

marc
13th September 2005, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by purana@Sep 12 2005, 09:15 PM
.DS_store files store the information relating to window position and icon positions for that directory when you open it in finder. Think they also contain some other details but they escape me for the moment ;)
Thanks for that info.

And thanks to everyone else who&#39;s posted... I&#39;m almost there.

marc
13th September 2005, 03:06 PM
File Buddy didn&#39;t fix. DAMN.

Still looking for a solution...

marc
13th September 2005, 03:24 PM
I&#39;ve done some more reading, and it seems that quite a bit of info is stored in the resource fork for SD2 files (number of channels, sample rate etc). I could probably manually type them in if I had a util or some way of generating them. ARGH.

marc
13th September 2005, 04:45 PM
Problem solved (hopefully). The data recovery company will copy everything onto an HFS+ drive for me.

*phew*