PDA

View Full Version : Things to do in San Francisco

kevinnugent
1st June 2010, 07:32 AM
Hi guys,

We have a few people heading to SFO on the weekend for something or other to do with Apple. And they're going to be busy at the conference BUT you cannot go to such a beautiful city without at least a good look around!

My initial recommendations:

Forget about being a tourist. Everyone else is too. :)
Have the seafood bisque at Fishermans Wharf and visit the seals there.
Take the Alcatraz tour. It's fascinating and the boat trip is fun too.
Take the cable cars when you can. They are fun!

Anyone else care to advise on fun things to see and do in SFO?

Drofremoc
1st June 2010, 08:20 AM
Things to do:

1. Take the Caltrain down to Sunnyvale and then a short bus ride to Cupertino and take some piccies/hit the Company Store!
2. Alcatraz, as mentioned - really good - hint... you need about 3 hours!
3. A good tour of the town - "Mr Toad's Tours" (Google them) - awesome open-top model-T replica car tours of the city - quite enjoyable and everyone else I know who have taken them says they are great too.
4. Ride a tram - Hey! You are in 'Frisco!
5. Yosemite National Park if you can find the time - Giant Sequoias as well
6. While down Cupertino way go to the Mountain View Computer History Museum - I didn't get to do this one but ppl tell me it was pretty good (not so good if you have non-geeks with you... ;-)

All the above except for 4 and 6 are my personal reccommendations.

And hey, if you are over that way in a week or so - there is a cool convention in town called WWDC or something that might be worth checking out! :-)

Cheers!

modaros
1st June 2010, 09:42 AM
I lived there for 6 years, the touristy stuff is good but check out the following as well

1. Ride bike (rental) across Golden Gate bridge to Sausalito and have coffee or lunch.
2. Take drive over bridge and visit small but beautiful Kirby Point (usually empty and very different perspective than the usual)
3. Watch Baseball game SF Giants at PAC Bell Park.
4. Have a bonfire on Ocean beach one night (Great for shooting stars) bring lots of drinks it gets pretty cold.
5. Rent roller blades and see the beautiful people in the Marina district.

Too many more to list....

kevinnugent
1st June 2010, 10:13 AM
Oh, and even though it'll be summer there, take a jacket - it still gets cold at night (and sometimes during the day!). :)

Phormic
1st June 2010, 10:29 AM
I'd second the Yosemite National Park recommendation. Incredibly beautiful. You can make it a day trip if you don't mind having a long day.

If you're into wine, the Napa Valley isn't far north and very pretty.

A trip to San Francisco also wouldn't be complete without a trip to the Height-Ashbury hippy district, which is fascinating in a hilarious sort of way.

kenexx
1st June 2010, 11:47 AM
The Castro for a different view of things. :D

Drive up Twin Peaks. Visit Golden Gate Park.

Drive down Lombard St. Go to Coit Tower, great views.

Just drive over some the great steep hills. Heaps of fun which I never tire of doing when I'm there.

ClockWork
1st June 2010, 11:50 AM
Be sure to wear some flowers in your hair.

kevinnugent
1st June 2010, 12:50 PM
Be sure to wear some flowers in your hair.

Never a truer word spoken. :).

mitty
1st June 2010, 12:54 PM
Go to Golden Gate Park and find the spot where Kirk landed that Bird of Prey.

gehenna
1st June 2010, 12:59 PM
Go to Golden Gate Park and find the spot where Kirk landed that Bird of Prey.

Then go jogging and fall over like you've run into the side of the invisible ship :)

ClockWork
1st June 2010, 01:27 PM
Certain mods have certain fixations with suspense of disbelief.

Klingons - Spock - Save Earth - Travel back in time - etc.

funky79
4th June 2010, 10:48 PM
when I get to the States ( eventually )

one of the first things I would be doing is off to a rifle range to shoot an AR15

some of the gun shops over there have shooting ranges where you can rent a pistol or rifle to shoot

fompsweeva
5th June 2010, 04:38 AM
I can recommend a really good sushi restaurant on Greary Street called Sushi Boat. It was amazing.

DJY
28th October 2010, 09:00 PM
WOOHOO
Heading over on Monday!

Have been swamped at work... so haven't had any time to research specifics... but:
I'm there for a week - fly in Monday - fly out the following Monday.

Will wander the different neighbour hoods...
like the idea of Sausalito
Alcatraz
Will possibly do a day or playing tourist via a tour - see the area - take the obligatory photos...
having drinks with friends at Fisherman's Wharf.

hope to rent a car and head down to Cupertino... then maybe hit the Gilroy Outlet Mall down further south (I gather that one is the better of the few in the region)

Might get up to Napa - do some wine tasting - but that one may not happen... and before I know I suspect my week will be gone.

Weather forecasts seem misleading - and lots of websites don't seem to help much. Temperate range appears to be 11 overnight up to 19 during the day. Suggestions seem to be take jumpers and light jackets... but can anyone familiar enough with San Fran let me know should I be right in shorts and polos during the days?

I'm keen to go with an almost empty suitcase and shop big time!
So taking less - maybe only a couple of days clothes at best... is something I'm strongly considering.

Appreciate any tips / info / other ideas of things to do!

kevinnugent
28th October 2010, 09:13 PM
WOOHOO
Weather forecasts seem misleading - and lots of websites don't seem to help much. Temperate range appears to be 11 overnight up to 19 during the day. Suggestions seem to be take jumpers and light jackets... but can anyone familiar enough with San Fran let me know should I be right in shorts and polos during the days?

My jealosy meter is rising. :)

Take a spray type jacket with you, as the breeze off the water in SF can be biting. It's a bit like Melbourne with the weather... four seasons in one day. And they are heading into winter so things will start to cool down pretty quick after dark.

yagankiely
2nd November 2010, 07:15 PM
To riot appears to be a popular pass time…

DJY
2nd November 2010, 07:23 PM
To riot appears to be a popular pass time…

There were people everywhere in the streets last night with the Giants winning the World Series last night???! Is that what you mean? Lots of partying going on everywhere, but I did hear a few helicopters and lots of sirens a couple of hours ago whatever was going on somewhere.

Lockley
2nd November 2010, 10:54 PM
Im pretty sure there is a famous bridge...... it might be Red. :D

Lutze
2nd November 2010, 11:57 PM
I SO wanted to visit the USA... And then I saw this story:

For the First Time, the TSA Meets Resistance - Jeffrey Goldberg - National - The Atlantic (http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2010/10/for-the-first-time-the-tsa-meets-resistance-updated/65390/)

decryption
3rd November 2010, 07:17 AM
I SO wanted to visit the USA... And then I saw this story:

For the First Time, the TSA Meets Resistance - Jeffrey Goldberg - National - The Atlantic (http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2010/10/for-the-first-time-the-tsa-meets-resistance-updated/65390/)

I'm happy to let someone touch my balls, so I can enter the USA. Sure, it's not justified, but fuck it, I like the USA that much, that it's worth it.

gehenna
3rd November 2010, 07:33 AM
I'm happy to let someone touch my balls, so I can enter the USA. Sure, it's not justified, but fuck it, I like the USA that much, that it's worth it.

I'm happy to touch someone elses balls for that matter!

decryption
3rd November 2010, 07:34 AM
I'm happy to touch someone elses balls for that matter!

Perhaps a job with the TSA is for you :D

Lutze
3rd November 2010, 07:53 AM

My problem isn't the grope factor.. though it's a pretty rough ride.

The scanners they are using = 3 full body x-rays each time you go through one. That simply isn't good for your health :(

decryption
3rd November 2010, 07:55 AM
My problem isn't the grope factor.. though it's a pretty rough ride.

The scanners they are using = 3 full body x-rays each time you go through one. That simply isn't good for your health :(

The TSA only goes for the testes if you don't want the scanner option. So you can either cop a feel or douse yourself in radiation, hah

u98925
3rd November 2010, 12:44 PM
May be a bit late, but if you do get to Apple HQ, i would recommend lunch at BJ's, located just out the front of the Apple campus -

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/168/img0437k.jpg

Well priced good food and beer and great service. We were there on a Tuesday and the car park was full ie: the attendants were parking the cars in the isles and the place was alive :cool:

DJY
4th November 2010, 03:56 AM
Thanks for the tip... Isn't too late for me.

I haven't made it down to Cupertino yet - still hope to later in the week... Just need to work out the hire car versus train/bus options.

Did the Mr Toad tour - and would indeed rrcommend it to others.
We went q couple of places larger tour buses can't go, and in lots of places, it felt like we were the attraction - people kept taking photos of us?!?!

Street car - check
Cable car - check
Wandered some districts and neighbourhoods - check
Bumped into other Australians - check (we are everywhere aren't we)
Drank way too much, stayed out way too late, and woke up with a headache - check!?!

Alcatraz, Cupertino, and Sausalito all still on my list, but not sure if I will make it up to Napa or out to Yosemite.

Oh yes and for the record - I wasn't body scanned or groped on the way in at SFO.

DeKa
4th November 2010, 08:25 AM
Alcatraz, Cupertino, and Sausalito all still on my list, but not sure if I will make it up to Napa or out to Yosemite.

Book early for Alcatraz! I missed out because it was all sold out 3 days in advance.
Alcatraz Island - Official Tickets Site - Guaranteed Lowest Price (http://www.alcatrazcruises.com/)

I ended up doing this cruise instead:
Blue & Gold Fleet - San Francisco Bay Cruise Adventure (http://www.blueandgoldfleet.com/Sightseeing/Boat/baycruise.cfm)