PDA

View Full Version : lost files on PB 12"

johdev
31st May 2010, 08:18 PM
Hi all
I have PB 12", 1.5 ghz, 80 gig etc. has been a great machine but:
seeking guidance: today I seem to have lost all bookmarks on Safari & Firefox. Also lost all music files, all movie files and photos!! In shock. What have I done.?
yesterday, asked for the umpteenth time about going to default in safari, I said yes. Woe. Today I shutdown, later to open up to what looked like a totally new baby screen. All gone?
How can I get all this valuable stuff back?? 25 gig's worth.
johdev

DeKa
31st May 2010, 09:35 PM
Have you ever done a backup? Sounds like a no... :(
My first suggestion would be to type the name of a known file into Spotlight (click the magnifying glass in the top right of the screen, then type into there). This was introduced in Mac OS X 10.4.. which I think you would be running.

Once you report back if the files come up, we can guide you on how to move them back.
Are you sure you have not simply logged into your machine using either a guest account or a different username? Files are stored by user account unless you specify otherwise.

johdev
4th June 2010, 11:47 AM
deKa
you are so helpful, thanks. I did find in one of my users (having created a new one recently), that all photos, music and movies had hidden themselves in folders. I have since dragged them back into their respective applications. I cannot locate the bookmarks for either safari or firefox. May have to live with that. Thanks so much.
johdev

stewiesno1
6th June 2010, 09:22 AM
Safari bookmarks

Safari bookmarks are all stored in a file called Bookmarks.plist, which is located at ~/Library/Safari/. To get to this file in the Finder, choose Home from the Go menu. Open the Library folder, then open the Safari folder.

* To back up: Make a copy of the file in another location by holding down the Option key and dragging the Bookmarks.plist file to another location (such as the Desktop). The original file will remain (do not remove the original file from this location or your Safari bookmarks will be gone!).

As an alternative, you can compress the file into an archive—select the Bookmarks.plist file, then from the File menu in the Finder, choose Create Archive. The original file will remain.

* To restore: Simply move the backup copy of Bookmarks.plist to the ~/Library/Safari/ folder. If you're restoring from an archive, don't forget to decompress the file (just double-click it).

Note: The Bookmarks.plist file contains only the Safari bookmarks for the currently logged-in user. If other users on the same Mac have their own user accounts and personal bookmarks, their Bookmarks.plist files are located in their Home folders.

And as Deka suggests, buy yourself an external drive to back all your data up to.

Stewie