PDA

View Full Version : Buying a MBP a few questions

aeidau
31st May 2010, 06:24 PM
Hi I'm Kieran,

I'm a windows user and I have been thinking about making the switch to a Macbook Pro 15" from a desktop. I'm in my first year of university and It's already been hard enough to find a free computer at Uni and thought it was about time I bought a laptop.
I have been looking at the Macbook Pro 15" i7 with the Hi-Res upgrade.

I have been in great discussion with my friends who own Macbooks about the Hi-res and Anti-Glare options. I have decided at it the Hi-Res option would be worthwhile as I currently run a large multi-monitor setup atm and I will be using Adobe suite and CAD software which benefits from a larger viewing area.
But the Anti-Glare option has got me undeceive. My friends both have the glossy screen Macbooks and the older model that has the Matte screen. My friends like the Gloss and don't think it is much of a hindrance. The new MPB looks really nice with the glossy screen. But as for the Anti-Glare option's Aluminium surround looks kinda ugly and the colours aren't as vibrant.
I will be using it on the train, at Uni and at home. What should I do?

I see that Apple offer SSDs (overpriced ones at that) But I have heard that OSX doesn't support Trim does OSX have anything similar or are they working on something? How does this affect the performance?

Solidworks is Windows only program and I was thinking of running dual boot Windows 7 to use it. I have looked into running a Virtual Machine but have seen it isn't as efficient as in computing power to run but it is easier to move files across. Anyone have any suggestions into VMs and how they work? I don't mind buying one.

I have built my own PCs for a while the thing I like about it is I can buy the best and cheapest parts and not have to worry about breaching the warranty of the system. If I buy a apple computer what rights do I have to upgrade the computer and what would they deem to be in breach of them? Can I still use Apple care and Genius Bar even if I have modified it?

Sorry for all the questions I'm thinking way too much about this atm and I need to focus on handing up my work only two weeks left of term. So If you could solve/answer some or all it will be greatly appreciated.

gehenna
31st May 2010, 06:30 PM
Welcome Kieran. Regarding the glossy vs antiglare option - search the forum, there's already a lot of lively debate available for you to read. It's a 50/50 split and purely personal preference. Unfortunately it's hard to see an anti-glare option in the flesh as it's built to order. However if you visit a store they may have one out the back you can look at to compare side-by-side. Personally I love my glossy!

You're correct that Trim is not supported in OS X currently. Someone with an SSD might be able to give you some more information, I imagine OS X does a good job of managing the SSD health via its own OS processes though.

There is also a lot of information here regarding VM's vs Dual Boot. Search around to find that info as well. I'll try and track down links to them in the meantime.

You can safely modify your hard drive, and RAM without voiding your warranty. I don't think anything else on a MacBook/Pro can be user upgraded.

I'll track down the links and you can post your specific questions in those specific threads to make sure all the information is kept in one place.

EDIT: this is your best bet for the display debate: http://forums.mactalk.com.au/24/52434-glossy-non-glossy.html

and this for vm's http://forums.mactalk.com.au/56/81551-vmware-vs-virtualbox-vs-parallels-mac.html

If you've got any other questions not related to those two aspects let us know!

aeidau
31st May 2010, 08:08 PM
Cheers gehenna,

Thanks for your help :D

~Coxy
1st June 2010, 10:29 AM
If you like Glossy screens there's certainly no law requiring you to get Matte. It's just that most "power users" prefer the truer colour on the Matte option.

OS X doesn't have Trim so any SSD will likely slow down over time as files are deleted. Hopefully Apple will support this for 10.7 or something.

damascato
1st June 2010, 05:41 PM
I just got the new macbook pro with gloss screen and I was coming from a matte screen on my previous mac... well the colour difference in optimal light conditions is not that big, but there's surely something to a certain extent.

The problem is mainly when you have a light behind, it can become pretty annoying.

Just a suggestion: hardware calibrate your monitor if you have the chance to

KlaasVisser
1st June 2010, 09:13 PM
I recently bought the 13" MBP with the glossy screen - for my serious photo work it's connected to an HP LP2065 matte monitor.

I calibrated both monitor and laptop screen using a Spyder2Express, and the colours match really well. There is a difference, comparable to looking at a print on both glossy and semi-gloss paper, but not enough to distract.

As damascato mentions, the biggest problem is if you have a light source behind you, and the screen is predominantly dark - reflections will be an issue.