PDA

View Full Version : How To Split A 4.5gb Files Into 2 Parts

Matheos
12th September 2005, 05:12 PM
Hey all,
I'm backing up in preparations for a format. Though I have a 4.5GB file which I cannot backup onto DVD (I don't have a dual-layer burner) so I though I should go ahead and split it, though all the programs I have downloaded (via versiontracker) they either dont work or can't split data files over 2Gb.

Any suggestions?

neilrobinson
12th September 2005, 08:59 PM
i would be guessing that most of the programs would be using the unix command "split" thou i thought that it was a limit of 2gb on output file size not input file size?

<interesting bit>
this should work... and is my usual way on linux :) thou their are some problems&#33;
Command: split -b 50m /Users/neil/Desktop/filetosplit.dmg
</interesting bit>

the boring random babble explication etc: split is the command, "-b 50m" tells split that you want files of 50mb and "/Users/neil/Desktop/filetosplit.dmg" is the file to split... it outputs the file to the current directory that you where in (by default /Users/neil/)

Easiest way to get you file name & path is to type "split -b 50m " or you equivalent and then drag and drop you file onto the terminal window&#33; :)

BUT i dont know how to join them back together... anyone else help? my usual command of concat doesn&#39;t seem to be present. Also their is a limit of 2gb per split file i believe.

neil

purana
12th September 2005, 09:18 PM
I believe you just use cat to rejoin them..

ie.. I split aa into 4 parts say... aa1, aa2, aa3 and aa4.

cat aa1 aa2 aa3 aa4 > aa.complete

The file aa.complete ends up being parts aa1,aa2,aa3 and aa4 joined :)

neilrobinson
12th September 2005, 09:28 PM
works 101% here :thumbup:

so in summary;

split -b 50m /Users/neil/Desktop/filetosplit.dmg <--splits file *
cat aa1 aa2 aa3 aa4 > aa.complete <--joins file **

*replace 50m with how many mb you want your file divided into LESS than 2gb or 2048mb
**replace aa1/2/3/4 with files created with previous command - drag and drop is really useful here

neil

Matheos
12th September 2005, 09:59 PM
Great, thanks alot guys... very very useful

marc
12th September 2005, 10:52 PM
Another suggestion... if the file *almost* fits, why not ZIP it?

billybob
13th September 2005, 02:27 PM
Rar it -

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/20615