PDA

View Full Version : Changing the Safari Dock Icon

Lucas
23rd July 2004, 03:54 PM
Well at my net cafe today I got a trial eMac, but theres only one slight problem. Nobody knows where the "internet" is. I want them to use Safari but I need to change the icon to the ie icon for a while at least. If you know of a free icon site please share :) . PS All the customers so far love the dock and expose.

stickman67
23rd July 2004, 04:05 PM
This is simply sad beyond words.

I completely understand why you have to do it, but even so ...

*Sigh!*

Disko
23rd July 2004, 04:41 PM
open your applications and 'get info' of internet explorer (it should be in there). Once the dialouge is up, click on the icon in the info so that it glows. :cmd: + C will copy it, then do the same for safari except hit :cmd: + V to paste the icon. To restore safari to the default icon, just select the icon and hit delete.

If the dock doesn't update, just quit safari, remove it from the dock, and re-add it.

edit: *moves to the new apple/tech forum*

Lucas
24th July 2004, 01:32 PM
Thanks for that. Didn't seem to work though. After copying the ie icon I can only paste it in a graphics editor. Anyway Ive given up on that idea, after two days of people giving the eMac a go I don't think anyone notices. Takes about 30 seconds to explain to people expose and safari. People are loving the eMac and migrating toward it. I definately need more. (any excuse to buy more apple stuff)

The biggest oughhhs and aghhhhhs come from the dock - expose and the bouncing icons. Plus no popups and spyware or viruses - makes my day easier - hehhhehe its so bad on our pcs when someone jumps on after someone has installed some p2p program and popups ensue.

stickman67
24th July 2004, 07:25 PM
I think it's bloody marvellous that people are using the eMac in your cafe.

The best way for people to fall in love with Macs is to use them, otherwise no amount of evangelising is going to make a difference.

Just recently, my sister-in-law (am I allowed to call her a bitch here? :lol: ) said to me, "You use Macs, don't you."

"Yes," I replied.

"That's because you're stupid," she said. Just like that!

"You've never used a Mac, have you," says I.

"No," says she, and changes the subject.

I thought, but sadly didn't have the balls to say (you'd have to meet her! :P ), that she was the stupid one, making such ignorant (and frankly blatantly rude) statements.

And she's on a Pentium PC running Win98! Ha! I've used the useless POS, and it's about as fast as wading through molasses with both ankles broken!

Anyway, great to hear that people are enjoying the Mac experience. There should be more of it. B)

Phillip
24th July 2004, 08:26 PM
congrats for putting emacs in you cafe. never seen a mac net cafe around so its cool - if you were in Melbourne i would visit it ;)

why don't u put an icon on the desktop and replace it with the ie icon and rename it to "internet" or something...

elvis
24th July 2004, 09:54 PM
It always cracks me up to hear how many people bag macs, only to see the same person's jaw drop when they watch yuo navigating around in OSX later.

I've heard some corkers to go with it: "but I thought Mac desktops were only black and white", or "Can you browse the internet from a Mac?". The sheer ignorance is hilarious.

I get the same thing with Linux all the time. Recently I was at a client's place doing some troubleshooting, and he asked me how I'd modified my "Windows theme" on my laptop to look so cool. At first he didn't believe I was running Linux until I showed him the applications I was running. Then he proceded to say "I didn't realise Linux had a GUI... I thought it was all like DOS".

I'll say one thing for Microsoft: they have the world's best marketing team working for them, that's for sure! :lol:

Phillip
24th July 2004, 10:31 PM
Microsoft marketing is crap. When was the last time they had an ad on TV for a new product? they really don't need to - windows is exposed to so many that people think its THE operating system.

yeah i agree its funny when people ask me stuff about the macs - and then they see the cool stuff (expose, dock) then they understand. mind you, i was like that too before i switched.

Disko
24th July 2004, 10:40 PM
I had to explain to a guy who claimed to be a few years into studying IT that Mac OS X has the power of unix, and a terminal. He also wasn't aware that Office was available on Mac.

It was great just letting him know. :)

elvis
24th July 2004, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Phillip@Jul 24 2004, 10:31 PM
windows is exposed to so many that people think its THE operating system.
It is sad that so many people can't differentiate between a computer and "Windows". Trying to push the idea of alternative operating systems often gives you a room full of blank faces, at which point it's often not worth sticking around and wasting your time trying. :(

Husq
24th July 2004, 11:33 PM
From your responses, can't say Apple has been marketing that effectively since most people don't really know much about them.

Also I'm not sure how good of an idea it is using Microsofts blue e to fire up safari at a place of work.

stickman67
25th July 2004, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by elvis+Jul 24 2004, 11:02 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (elvis @ Jul 24 2004, 11:02 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Phillip@Jul 24 2004, 10:31 PM
windows is exposed to so many that people think its THE operating system.
It is sad that so many people can&#39;t differentiate between a computer and "Windows". Trying to push the idea of alternative operating systems often gives you a room full of blank faces, at which point it&#39;s often not worth sticking around and wasting your time trying. :( [/b][/quote]
Yep&#33; How many times have you asked someone what sort of computer they have, only to get the response, "I don&#39;t know -- Windows?"

It&#39;s happened to me much more than once&#33; :lol:

Squozen
25th July 2004, 04:00 PM
Our resident office idiot has been bagging Macs since he joined the company, and only yesterday saw me connecting my PB to a friend&#39;s M&#036; laptop. Exposť quite shocked him, I think. He asked if the PB had a fan, I said it has two but they don&#39;t run in normal operation.. mind you, 30 minutes ago he&#39;d been using his laptop and I could hear the fan running and the HD clunking away from 6 feet away.

I had to point out to him later on that my power supply only needed to supply 2.6 amps - his Sony laptop draws nearly 5.5A...

The ignorance is astounding, but as long as you don&#39;t let it get to you it can be kinda funny. :)

stickman67
25th July 2004, 07:47 PM
It&#39;s less a question of letting it get to you and more of not being patronising. Feelings of moral and intellectual superiority swell throughout my entire body every time I see a PC, let alone talk to anyone who uses them. :P

Lucas
25th July 2004, 09:58 PM
Well after exposing customers to the eMac over the past few days I have had nothing but great comments about it. I am pretty sure a few people are going to now consider the eMac as a great option when they replace there computers. A few things I have to work out are - I would really love safari to open a new window when you click on its dock icon and perhaps close an application when you click on the red x.

The best part came from a customer today who was on the eMac - she wanted to play some silly games. I am like sure how can I help - she said I usually put on this searchnow bar and then go to the games from there. If you are unfamiliar with the searchnow bar I&#39;ll explain. Its a horrible toolbar that is one of many spyware / adware applications that offer little value to a user and much anger at the popups. I am like sorry we can&#39;t install that but I can take you to some free online games that are probably just as good (yahoo games etc). On the PC she would have just installed the toolbar and went merrily along till popups forced her to leave earlier than she would have otherwise. (costing me money)

After 3 days of use here the eMac still has all the same icons and not a single one extra and most importantly no popups, where as the PCs which are ghosted frequently need only 1 day to be full of icons for spyware / popup programs (GAIN) / kazaa / etc

One last note in a very long post - it is so much easier to explain to novices how to change windows with expose than the windows toolbar, I explain to people if you wanna see everything you have open just move your mouse to this corner and you can see everything. A god send

(ps I am buying more eMacs this friday after the weekends success)

Quamen
26th July 2004, 07:04 AM
Lucas, you might want to investigate putting firefox on your PC&#39;s and forcing people to use that instead of IE. You can lock it down so that it won&#39;t let people install crap spyware etc. and it isn&#39;t open to attack by the nasty activeX things that IE is.

Squozen
26th July 2004, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by stickman67@Jul 25 2004, 07:47 PM
It&#39;s less a question of letting it get to you and more of not being patronising. Feelings of moral and intellectual superiority swell throughout my entire body every time I see a PC, let alone talk to anyone who uses them. :P
That&#39;s kinda what I meant, and I admit I often fail at keeping quiet. :P

baggss
26th July 2004, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Lucas@Jul 24 2004, 01:32 PM
Thanks for that. Didn&#39;t seem to work though. After copying the ie icon I can only paste it in a graphics editor. Anyway Ive given up on that idea, after two days of people giving the eMac a go I don&#39;t think anyone notices. Takes about 30 seconds to explain to people expose and safari. People are loving the eMac and migrating toward it. I definately need more. (any excuse to buy more apple stuff)

The biggest oughhhs and aghhhhhs come from the dock - expose and the bouncing icons. Plus no popups and spyware or viruses - makes my day easier - hehhhehe its so bad on our pcs when someone jumps on after someone has installed some p2p program and popups ensue.
It probably didn&#39;t work because the I.E and or Safari apps belong to the "System". Do exactly as he said earlier, but go to the bottom of the window (where you would paste the icon) and click on the arrow below "Ownership and permissions". When it expands, it will probably say "System" and have a lock to the right of it. Click on the lock and enter you password when prompted. Then click on the drop down menu where is says "System" and change it to "Admin". The click the lock again (to re-lock it) and change the icon as previously described.

kim jong il
3rd August 2004, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by stickman67@Jul 24 2004, 07:25 PM
..................Just recently, my sister-in-law (am I allowed to call her a bitch here? :lol: ) said to me, "You use Macs, don&#39;t you."

"Yes," I replied.

"That&#39;s because you&#39;re stupid," she said. Just like that&#33;

"You&#39;ve never used a Mac, have you," says I.

"No," says she, and changes the subject................

.................And she&#39;s on a Pentium PC running Win98&#33;...........
Stickman, you only want to call her a bitch?? Demented springs to mind amongst other things.

Back to the topic. I&#39;m not convinced that switching icons is a good idea either. Safari is the nicest browser I have used. It only takes a few minutes to explain the basic features that make it brilliant. After that it should be all good. The concept of tabbed browsing most people love. Beats the hell out of 30 open windows. Others (on a mac that is) have their own favourites but they usually aren&#39;t explorer. (Note: I have not updated explorer so don&#39;t know if it offers this feature yet. Certainly isn&#39;t part of the standard install with OS X)

Regarding one of the other responses: you&#39;re right; a brilliant painless way to introduce people to macs

One of the more annoying experiences I have are people (friends, work colleagues) who slag me off for being a mac user and then ask for help with their disease ridden PC&#39;s. The more intelligent ones say that if I have to use UNIX why don&#39;t I get a DOS box and use LINUX. I find it hard to explain that they have missed the point entirely.

The virus enquiries are the saddest. I happily tell them what they need (needed) to do to protect themselves (should have done before they came to me) but regretfully inform them that I have no experience of this: 0 documented OS X viruses vs about 70,000 for windows.

kim

yinyang
3rd August 2004, 05:12 PM
where about in brisbane is your iCafe lucas?

might wander in if it&#39;s not too far away&#33; :)

Phillip
3rd August 2004, 06:33 PM
hey i know&#33;

why don&#39;t u post a stickie note on the desktop telling people to click on the compass icon for the internet. tell them the program is called "safari"

Lucas
3rd August 2004, 07:46 PM
Hey guys just an update on how the eMacs going. Well even without being partial to macs in the first place I can say its great. I&#39;ve had it for 3 weeks with customers now and not a single thing has changed on it (no new icons no moved icons etc etc) I got a few new customers that are mac users that wouldn&#39;t use my PCs and it is such a joy to not help people so much on a terminal. I show them safari and the hot corner to see all the things open in expose and leave them be.

Pure Bliss (allows me time to de-popup / de virus the PCs) I want to buy more but I am about to open a 2nd store and need all my cash for that. The only minor gripe I have with the eMac is not even "its" fault. My Canon LBP3200 laser printer has no mac support :( . So I am moving the canon to the new store with PCs and buying a printer that works with all OSes.

PS someone asked where we are - Deagon Market Sq (Northside) or rampage.com.au

We are one of the evil babysitters on the front page Sunday Mail. That paper is so tacky. They rang my staff (I was out) for an interview and my idiot staff member answered the reporters questions and had his words spun into that shit article
Sunday Mail Article (http://www.thesundaymail.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,10307563%5E902,00.html)

kim jong il
3rd August 2004, 09:40 PM
I like the way that parents are mildly criticised while you are portrayed as some kind of pied piper. Regardless of how people feel on this issue, I feel that responsibility lies with the parents and not the operators of these facilities.

Some people are happy to have their kids out all night. Better that they know where they are than roaming the streets, vandalising property or doing drugs (or all three).

Now, before the flames start, my comments are not and should not be seen as an endorsment of this. But one should note that these business operators are NOT breaking any laws as I understand it and therefore should not be demonised.

When I was a kid I would have loved something like this. Pity we didn&#39;t have computers in those days............

kim