PDA

View Full Version : Burning DVD error???

Chief911
30th May 2010, 01:11 PM
Hi guys,

Just burning some stuff onto a dvd, put 1st half on one and go to burn the second and get this message!

on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/50687611@N06/4651168567/)

Anyone know whats the deal here, i need to resolve this one ASAP

ravage221
30th May 2010, 01:29 PM
Hi guys,

Just burning some stuff onto a dvd, put 1st half on one and go to burn the second and get this message! ...

This message is indicative of a couple of possible problems. It could be that the media itself is simply crap (cough cough TDK) and wont be able to be burnt on. It could also be that the lenses are dirty (happened to me once) and just needs a clean. You can purchase CD/DVD cleaning kits from almost anywhere these days. There is a third less happy possibility that the drive has knocked the laser out of alignment so it cannot figure out what it is actually pointing at, this would mean a new drive.

So I would first try a different brand of disc. If that doesn't work, clean the lens and then you might have to throw down so real money if that doesn't work...

gehenna
30th May 2010, 01:31 PM
You can also try burning at the lowest speed, this sometimes works with crap media.

Chief911
30th May 2010, 01:45 PM
It could be that the media itself is simply crap (cough cough TDK) and wont be able to be burnt on.

hahahah, i was given TDK disk's, ill get another brand and try that, cheers!

ravage221
30th May 2010, 08:01 PM
hahahah, i was given TDK disk's, ill get another brand and try that, cheers!

TDK is really quite pitiful with media these days. Major advantage: Cheap as anything. Disadvantage: It doesn't bloody work.

Depending on how old the machine your trying to burn on it could be the drive as well. More and more (pretty much unanimously at the moment I'd say) drive manufactures are using pastics instead of glass for lenses. This is a problem because there are two lasers (or three even if your Blu-Ray) in an actual drive. They used to use glass for the lenses which worked wonders but was more expensive of course. So now they sub in plastic. The DVD/Blu-Ray lasers are far more powerful than that of a normal CD and actually can deform the plastic and cause it to go blurry or actually morph the shape of the lens, thus making it impossible for the laser to figure out what the hell it is doing.