PDA

View Full Version : This 10MB Blocks Thing

NeoRicen
29th May 2010, 10:51 PM
I've heard some complaints lately about Optus charging in 10MB blocks. This thread being provoked by bjango retweeting this:

RT @Abbey9274: Just heard from a friend in Australia that Optus are charging iPad data in 10MB blocks. Total craziness

I'm not sure, but I have a feeling people are getting it wrong.

The outrage seems to stem from the idea that every session is counted as 10MB. So say I jump on Monday , download 4MB, I get counted for 10MB. Then on Tuesday I download another 10MB, making my total 20MB.

At least I think that's what people are saying, since anything else doesn't justify the anger quite as much.

I'm under the impression that in the above case, your above total usage would be 10MB, not 20MB.

So the usage goes up in 10MB increments.

Day 1:4MB Total:4MB Counted:10MB
Day 2:4MB Total:8MB Counted:10MB
Day 3:10MB Total:18MB Counted:20MB
Day 4:6MB Total:24MB Counted:30MB
Day 5:3MB Total:27MB Counted:30MB
Day 6:2MB Total:29MB Counted:30MB
Day 7:1MB Total:30MB Counted:30MB

The anger seems to stem from the idea that in the above situation you would be counted for 70MB, instead of the 30MB you used.

Doesn't seem to unreasonable to me. Don't know why people would get so mad about that. It's not like you're losing any data.

A couple of things to wrap up: First, I have no idea if people actually think the 70MB total way is the way it actually works, maybe some are just mad about the way I've said (which is being a little silly if you ask me). Second, maybe Optus does do it that way (I'm not with them), but that's so ridiculous I just haven't given the idea enough credence.

So, are the people mad at the 10MB blocks thing mad because Optus does things the way I doubt they do, are they just mad because they've misunderstood, or are they mad because Optus does what I assume they do?

If Optus really are doing the worse case scenario, I agree, it's total craziness, but I have a feeling they're not.

EDIT: Another note, if what I suspect is true, the absolute worse case scenario would be being billed/counted a maximum of 9.99MB over what you actually used, which when dealing with over a gigabyte isn't such a huge deal. Obviously only ever being billed/counted for exactly what you used is preferable though, so I'm not saying this is a good thing, just not as bad as it's being made out to be. Being billed in 100MB blocks though? That would be a big deal, even if they were doing what I suspect.

marc
29th May 2010, 10:56 PM
Would love to get some clarification on this. Do we have an Optus rep handy?

"First 30MB per day charged at 10MB"
Surely that indicates daily rounding?

Apple iPad Plans from Optus. Pricing and plan details (http://personal.optus.com.au/web/ocaportal.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=Template_woRHS&FP=/personal/internet/iPad&site=personal&sid=HAFeat2:Van:OSC:iPad:OCA:iPadDP:28052010)

skritter
29th May 2010, 11:07 PM
Vodafone say they charge Pre-paid data out in session rate of MB (not kb).

So does that mean if I get my email to check every 15 min, that is 4MB/hour or 96M/day or 2800MB/month (2.8GB)?

I posted this statement in another thred re Vodafone.

So the question is are they charging something like the 30sec block per phone call which would suggest my question in quotes.

Or is it how they round up at the end of the billing period (like 95c rounds to a $1 or $19.95c rounds up to $20 when you check out at the supermarket)

NeoRicen
29th May 2010, 11:14 PM
I posted this statement in another thred re Vodafone.

So the question is are they charging something like the 30sec block per phone call which would suggest my question in quotes.

Or is it how they round up at the end of the billing period (like 95c rounds to a $1 or $19.95c rounds up to $20 when you check out at the supermarket)
See the thing is with 30 second block phone calls, is it's very easy to do that because when a phone call ends and begins is very easy to figure out and round off.

However with data, if they do what people are worried about, how long between each packet do they decide to round off and count it as 10MB? For a device that's always online and is getting emails, push notifications etc. it's impossible to count one period of usage, and count that as 10MB. As far as they know they can't just measure 10MB each time the browser is opened, first of all because I don't think they can tell that, and second, these days the browser isn't the only way data is coming to the device.

It seems to me that it's simply technically infeasible to do what people are concerned about, yet what I think they do is not only technically feasible, but probably makes processing bills and hundreds of thousands of accounts easier

Either way, Optus, and other carriers that do this (they all do it, albeit in smaller blocks) haven't made this very clear, and by handling it they way they have (ie. not explaining it at all), they're only confusing their users.

tcn33
29th May 2010, 11:21 PM
As I've posted before, my testing a while ago indicated that the aggregated daily usage was rounded up to the nearest 10MB. So in the worst case you lose 9.99MB.

standinside
29th May 2010, 11:31 PM
thanks for clarification.

Cybix
30th May 2010, 10:24 AM
Who's going to clarify this?

Voda are doing MB blocks, telstra by the KB.

I still can't get over the change in telstra NextG pricing. Sure it's only for iPad, but still... Affordable.

I have optus for iPhone, and a virgin sim in my mifi, both are plenty fast for me, although coverage is spotty. Looking forward to trying iPad in areas where I know optus isn't so great.

Back on topic. The 10MB block thing is a bit strange. Is this a first?

ausdan
2nd July 2010, 10:01 AM
OK, Here is the definite answer from Optus themselves. I texted them and got these replies. Not good. Makes me wish I hadn't recharged my account with them last night and went instead to Telstra like I had originally planned.

Also, the funny thing is, when I asked at two different Optus places yesterday, the sales people there had not heard of the 10MB increments and told me that it wouldn't be true.

I haven't actually activated the pre-paid credit yet. I'm going to take it back to the shop where I bought it and try and get a refund today, showing them the tweets from Optus.

Here are the two Tweets -

If you log on to the service to check an email then log off, this would be counted as a 10MB. Hope this helps - Ian
__________________________________________________ _

It looks like every time I check my emails or even send a tweet after the initial miserly 30MB, it'll "cost" me 10MB!!!!!

NO HAPPY, JANE!!!!!!

mac_man_luke
2nd July 2010, 10:11 AM
Dont believe that is correct, think Marc? had a description how it worked in another thread

ausdan
2nd July 2010, 03:30 PM
After a series of Tweets directly from Optus this morning confirming the fact that basically everything you do on the iPad will "cost" you 10MB, I have refunded the $30 prepaid I bought last night and have moved to Telstra.

Here are some further tweets from Optus -

As an eg, if u use 13MB in one session then disconnect, it's counted as 20MB of ur data. Use 19MB and disconnect, it's 20MB - Ian

Changing apps would end a session and start a new one. Sending a tweet, then closing and opening mail would be two sessions - Ian

faulks
2nd July 2010, 04:16 PM
Wow ausdan, that is balls... glad I left them

marc
2nd July 2010, 04:59 PM
that is balls
+1

Hello Telstra and Vodafone.

NeoRicen
2nd July 2010, 05:02 PM
That's just un-fucking-believable. That must mean actually getting 2GB or data, or whatever, is practically impossible. Surely that means the data allowances are lies and they're breaking some kind of law here.

I just hope the guy running the Optus twitter feed is misinformed.

gameon
2nd July 2010, 06:10 PM
Correct me if i am wrong here but it seems to me that if u tweeted once an hour for 10 hours that would count as 10 sessions costing you 100mb of your cap for what would literally be kilobytes of data. I have a push email account, would every email cost me 10mb of data as well?

THATS OUTRAGEOUS!!!! (if that is the case of course)

NeoRicen
2nd July 2010, 06:19 PM
It must be wrong, surely people would have noticed skyrocketing data usage by now. Not little bits of mysterious data here and there either, that we see all the time, but full a blown data meltdown.

Can't someone test this?

battye
2nd July 2010, 06:21 PM
It must be wrong, surely people would have noticed skyrocketing data usage by now. Not little bits of mysterious data here and there either, that we see all the time, but full a blown data meltdown.

Can't someone test this?

Do you know if this block usage applies to the iPad only? Or is this happening for the iPhone as well?

Thanks

TheWatchman
3rd July 2010, 06:35 PM
Do you know if this block usage applies to the iPad only? Or is this happening for the iPhone as well?

Thanks

It's definitely not happening on my iPhone 3G plan, just make sure you read the T&Cs when the iPhone 4 plans come out.

ausdan
3rd July 2010, 07:14 PM
Correct me if i am wrong here but it seems to me that if u tweeted once an hour for 10 hours that would count as 10 sessions costing you 100mb of your cap for what would literally be kilobytes of data. I have a push email account, would every email cost me 10mb of data as well?

THATS OUTRAGEOUS!!!! (if that is the case of course)

Yes, you are exactly right, unfortunately. That is why I have now changed to Telstra and have also noticed better coverage.

ausdan
3rd July 2010, 07:16 PM

Thanks

It is only relevant for the iPad plans as offered by Optus.

lord
3rd July 2010, 08:16 PM
It has always been 10mb blocks on their normal usb 3g mobile plans. This is why we don't use optus :)

skritter
4th July 2010, 01:40 AM
All I know is that my iPhone 3G Usage Statistics on the phone and what Optus actually charges me as usage IS ALWAYS within a few measlly MB's.

Acutal Usage verses Optus Charge = Pretty Dam Close.

luke_in_tas
4th July 2010, 08:01 AM
It has always been 10mb blocks on their normal usb 3g mobile plans. This is why we don't use optus :)

Yep. I don't have a 3G iPad, but have a regular Optus 3G modem. If I get disconnected for some reason and reconnect it costs me 10MB. To get reasonable use of my data allowance I try and connect as few times as possible, so when using my modem at work I'll connect once in the morning and leave it connected all day.

If this is the same for iPad users, the question is: when does a disconnection occur? I'd doubt very much that you disconnect from the network every time you change apps as suggested earlier. The OS is what is connected, not each individual app.

Maybe when the iPad is in sleep mode you might disconnect, but even then my Wi-Fi iPad receives push notifications when asleep?

Foxtrot27
4th July 2010, 03:55 PM

Can't someone test this?
After believing that this issue had been 'sorted out' more or less, now I've come full circle about the posts above. If it's as bad as what we suspect, I'm glad I stayed clear of Optus. As I said before, IMHO all the Telcos need to clarify exactly how its all calculated/summated upfront on their websites (eg. with worked examples) - the proper facts remain (? deliberately) hidden, unclarified, highly misleading and left to conjecture. I hold an extremely low opinion of Telcos over this issue...