PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista Editions Revealed

gmask1
11th September 2005, 11:20 PM
Article - Link (http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/ArticleID/47665/47665.html?Ad=1)

Reported via Slashdot, it seems that one of Microsoft's biggest fans has the goss on the 7 different Windows Vista releases that will hit the shelf...

My stomach feels just a bit queasy having to explain which is which to the average user!

Phillip
11th September 2005, 11:26 PM
Really I expect 3 of them to hit the selves. Not all 7.

*Windows Vista Home Basic Edition
*Windows Vista Home Premium Edition
*Windows Vista Ultimate Edition

The others are for different markets and I don't think they will all be at Officeworks.

Still they are splitting it up faster than Apple split the iPod line.

ford.boy
11th September 2005, 11:27 PM
It's hilarious to compare the business and product practices of MS and Apple:

Windows Vista Starter Edition: OS X Leopard
Windows Vista Home Basic Edition: OS X Leopard
Windows Vista Home Premium Edition: OS X Leopard
Windows Vista Professional Edition: OS X Leopard
Windows Vista Small Business Edition: OS X Leopard
Windows Vista Enterprise Edition: OS X Leopard
Windows Vista Ultimate Edition: OS X Leopard

Erm... Laughable really.. :lol:

AnthoMac
11th September 2005, 11:28 PM
That's why I like what Apple has done with OS X.
OS X Tiger (for consumers and students) and OS X Tiger Server.
Just two products needed. Nothing more.

At least microsoft thinks they can appeal to everyone, I mean they even have a "Windows Vista Small Business Edition" version for those businesses who can't wait for Longhorn Server 2007 (equivalent to Windows Server 2003).

Urgh indeed.

thebag
11th September 2005, 11:33 PM
Gotta laugh at this one-

"Windows Vista Ultimate Edition: The best operating system ever offered for a personal PC, optimized for the individual. "

I think Tiger already has this title.

feeze
12th September 2005, 12:12 AM
Lets not forget that there is going to be 32 and 64 bit versions of each edition (except starter edition). This is going to be an headache for tech support etc.

Really I cannot see why they just cannot sell one edition and have it pre-configured to the "home" setup. If an user is advanced enough to use the extra features then surely they can figure out how to turn them on. All that's needed is an intuitive control panel.:unsure:

yitzyf
12th September 2005, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by thebag@Sep 11 2005, 11:33 PM
Gotta laugh at this one-

"Windows Vista Ultimate Edition: The best operating system ever offered for a personal PC, optimized for the individual. "

Ah, you beat me to it on that one! :)
But after reading that, I just feel like http://forum.ski.com.au/ultimate/graemlins/puke.gif and am so happy that I am a Mac user. One system. One name. One (OK, maybe 2) SKU or whatever it is. And I prefer the cat theme to "Vista" - just sounds lame! I'd like to see how many Windows newbies are going to stand in places like Harvey Norman, Dick Smith etc, and just scratch their heads thnking "What the hell do I buy?"

Anyway, that's my 2 worth

conditionals
12th September 2005, 04:51 AM
Originally posted by AnthoMac@Sep 11 2005, 11:28 PM
That's why I like what Apple has done with OS X.
OS X Tiger (for consumers and students) and OS X Tiger Server.
Just two products needed. Nothing more.
Yes. OS X Tiger (RUINS YR COMPUTER) and OS X Tiger Server (Severe RUINS YR SERVER WHO USES TIGER FOR A SERVER DUDE SERIOUSLY COME ON). I wish they'd included the real names on the boxen, that way I wouldn't have blown $200 on an OS I used for 3 weeks then uninstalled.

thebag
12th September 2005, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by conditionals@Sep 12 2005, 04:51 AM
Yes. OS X Tiger (RUINS YR COMPUTER) and OS X Tiger Server (Severe RUINS YR SERVER WHO USES TIGER FOR A SERVER DUDE SERIOUSLY COME ON). I wish they'd included the real names on the boxen, that way I wouldn't have blown $200 on an OS I used for 3 weeks then uninstalled.
Conditionals,

Just outta curiosity how did Tiger ruin your computer, :huh:

I'm hopeless(I let the OS do all the work) and use a 4YO 867Mhz G4 and have had no problems with Tiger worth mentioning, although I do have heaps of ram(1.12GB).

My only complaint is the fact I still use Classic, because I have a few games that won't run natively in OSX. If I could have a totally Classic free Mac, I would be a happy little camper.

Mark

eyeLikeCarrots
12th September 2005, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by conditionals@Sep 12 2005, 04:51 AM
Well, the University that I work at uses about 6 10.3 servers and I just got our first 10.4 server..... and the school where I do support for also uses 2 10.3 servers.

conditionals
12th September 2005, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by thebag@Sep 12 2005, 08:11 AM
Conditionals,

Just outta curiosity how did Tiger ruin your computer, :huh:

I'm hopeless(I let the OS do all the work) and use a 4YO 867Mhz G4 and have had no problems with Tiger worth mentioning, although I do have heaps of ram(1.12GB).
I have a powerbook 15" with 1.25 GB ram. Here's a nice little list of what Tiger (4.2) did to it:
1. Reduced battery life by an hour (increased CPU running in the background, so even when I didn't use dashboard)
2. Decreased stability (the longer the uptime, the higher the chance of crash. 1 day: 15% chance of crashing. 2 days: 30% chance of crashing etc. With 10.3.9 it NEVER crashed)
3. Reduced compatability with Adobe CS (they too, for the first time EVER, would crash).

After reinstalling it 3 times (first with a clean install, then as an upgrade, then as a clean again), with no success, I threw the DVD in the corner and went back to 10.3.9. Sure, I miss dashboard, and my $200, but with konfabulator I at least have a dashboard that I can turn off.

noisypoppy
12th September 2005, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by yitzyf@Sep 12 2005, 12:19 AM
Ah, you beat me to it on that one! :)
But after reading that, I just feel like http://forum.ski.com.au/ultimate/graemlins/puke.gif and am so happy that I am a Mac user. One system. One name. One (OK, maybe 2) SKU or whatever it is. And I prefer the cat theme to "Vista" - just sounds lame! I'd like to see how many Windows newbies are going to stand in places like Harvey Norman, Dick Smith etc, and just scratch their heads thnking "What the hell do I buy?"

Anyway, that's my 2 worth
oi PRICK!

Squozen
12th September 2005, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by conditionals@Sep 12 2005, 11:44 AM
I have a powerbook 15" with 1.25 GB ram. Here's a nice little list of what Tiger (4.2) did to it:

*snip*
Apart from the Adobe apps (which I don't own), I haven't seen any of your problems on either of our PowerBooks. I'm confused how this horrible, crippling issue with Tiger seems to be restricted to only your laptop out of the million or so it's running on. I guess Apple really hate you. :(

conditionals
12th September 2005, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Squozen@Sep 12 2005, 12:38 PM
I'm confused how this horrible, crippling issue with Tiger seems to be restricted to only your laptop out of the million or so it's running on. I guess Apple really hate you. :(
It's cool, I hate them back. But we have an agreement, I like their pretty computers, they like my money. It works out ok.

sikosis
12th September 2005, 01:29 PM
if it wasn't true ... that'd be laughable ...

"So, what version of Windows do you have ?"

"I don't know, it's Windows Vista something". :thumbdn:

W2ttsy
12th September 2005, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Squozen@Sep 12 2005, 12:38 PM
Apart from the Adobe apps (which I don't own), I haven't seen any of your problems on either of our PowerBooks. I'm confused how this horrible, crippling issue with Tiger seems to be restricted to only your laptop out of the million or so it's running on. I guess Apple really hate you. :(
one thing comes to mind. upgrade to 10.4.2. and check that all your firmwares are upto date.

W2ttsy

conditionals
12th September 2005, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by W2ttsy@Sep 12 2005, 01:59 PM
one thing comes to mind. upgrade to 10.4.2. and check that all your firmwares are upto date.
That's the first thing I did. I'm software update junkie.

Anyway, I'm perfectly happy back with 10.3.9, I guess I just couldn't pass up an opportunity to diss on Tiger.

applecollector
12th September 2005, 04:01 PM
Yes i agree 1,000,000 % that Panther 10.3.9 is way better than Tiger! i mean Tiger would be better if you could turn off dashboard & spotlight!

Edit: Spelling

PS: I thought i would just add this picture.

Disko
12th September 2005, 04:05 PM
As odd as this might sound: Lets keep the discussion topic on windows vista here guys. Please discuss Tiger gripes in a Tiger thread. :)

feeze
12th September 2005, 05:12 PM
The way I interpret it, there looks to be 3 base editions.

Starter, Home basic and Professional editions.

All the other additions seem to just add extra gizmos such as media centre, Virtual PC, a lot of subscriptions to online services and a few other utilities. Maybe this is just Microsoft's way of avoiding anti-trust suits, or getting more money out of consumers.

The Fluffy Duck
12th September 2005, 05:59 PM
I think we now know why it has taken so long to release..... there are 7 diffrent operating systems.

Could people stop bagging it....I mean them? "they" havnt come out yet and MS have been working on them for quite some time sothey may have an ace up there sleeve.

However to sound like the ultimate hypocryte I will now bag out the operating system(s).
Aparenbtly I heard "they" have shit support for opengl, trying to force everybody onto directx . Also developers hate them becasue there full of "crap" code and other interesting things to go wrong.

conditionals
12th September 2005, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by The Fluffy Duck@Sep 12 2005, 05:59 PM
Could people stop bagging it....I mean them? "they" havnt come out yet and MS have been working on them for quite some time sothey may have an ace up there sleeve.
EXACTLY! At least they haven't released it in a rushed, unfinished stage and wasted someone's precious $200 on a load of crap... AHEM!