PDA

View Full Version : New Apple TV - based on iPhone OS 4

idiesel
29th May 2010, 11:11 AM
This looks interesting if true...and finally 1080p support!

The next Apple TV revealed: cloud storage and iPhone OS on tap... and a $99 price tag (http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/28/the-next-apple-tv-revealed-cloud-storage-and-iphone-os-on-tap/)

The new architecture of the device will be based directly on the iPhone 4, meaning it will get the same internals, down to that A4 CPU and a limited amount of flash storage -- 16GB to be exact -- though it will be capable of full 1080p HD (!). The device is said to be quite small with a scarce amount of ports (only the power socket and video out), and has been described to some as "an iPhone without a screen." Are you ready for the real shocker? According to our sources, the price-point for the device will be $99. One more time -- a hundred bucks.

For those still interested in keeping their content close, there will be an option to utilize a Time Capsule as an external storage component, but the main course will be all about streaming. The new ATV will do away with its current OS X-lite variation as a operating system, and will instead adopt the iPhone OS for the underlying experience. There's no word at this point on whether apps and the App Store will be coming along for the ride, but it makes sense given the shared platform.

tcn33
29th May 2010, 11:17 AM
I'd buy it, as long as it had the ability to add your own sources rather than being tied to the ones Apple had negotiated deals with.

Steeley
29th May 2010, 11:22 AM
Finally! This is definitely something I'd consider. Currently using Playback and XBox360.

macrob69
29th May 2010, 11:23 AM
Where is the queue?

Devil rolla
29th May 2010, 11:35 AM
Its weird the low storage capacity, will be interesting to see the t&c's for cloud use with apple...I sure it will make alot of people angry if they stick to their current culture which im sure they will.

DagrtheSnide
29th May 2010, 11:59 AM
I wonder what the bit rate of the supported 1080p will be ?

Any news from Vietnam yet :)

DeKa
29th May 2010, 12:12 PM
I'd buy it too.

ChrisG
29th May 2010, 12:14 PM
If the AppleTV had a USB port which allowed for external storage for media and the app store having a dedicated section for the AppleTV to include apps like XBMC and EyeTV that would be great, then I'd definitely buy it and scrap my HTPC!

The_Hawk
29th May 2010, 12:36 PM
am I reading another article to everyone else or what?

Does it not say it's essentially an iPod with 1080 HD support? From this I say it only supports Apple iTunes ecosystem (maybe Time Machine will gain basic iTunes server capabilities). I just don't see Apple moving away from what has become the center of their universe anytime soon.

While cheaper will always be a good thing, my hacked ATV with XBMC and a Crystal HD decoder card does all this and more from any networked source :D

entropy
29th May 2010, 12:56 PM
I think it all depends on what is allowed via an AppleTV app store ecosystem. If AV is only allowed through the ipod interface, well that would suck. The allowed formats would be too limiting for widespread adoption.

If AV apps that work like the ereader apps, it would be great. That would give Apple plausible deniability with the meeja companies. Plus the games. Quite a Trojan horse really.

jack112006
29th May 2010, 12:59 PM
If I can stream all the stuff on my iMac, i'll buy.

idiesel
29th May 2010, 08:38 PM
Does this also mean that iMovie '10 will support 1080p video as well....then just stream to your ATV

motlis
31st May 2010, 01:12 PM
Would love to see apps for iPhone/iPad to control AppleTV - better than Remote currently does. Could be used to play games etc.

cosmichobo
31st May 2010, 01:47 PM
So... essentially... ATV, but without (much usable) local storage, but with HD...

Cloud storage... is that abit akin to the Wii's online services? You have the host program on your Wii, but access information from the central servers?

Devil rolla
31st May 2010, 02:05 PM
Would love to see apps for iPhone/iPad to control AppleTV - better than Remote currently does. Could be used to play games etc.

You don't like the remote app ?

nibbles
31st May 2010, 03:57 PM

Would be great to be able to use iPod touches as controllers, like a playstation or xbox, display the game on the TV and certain things on the iPod screen such as forward backward etc

Japester
31st May 2010, 04:21 PM
It would have to stream from my iMac, which is where I do my media management. I'm not copying that data elsewhere and with 1.5TB to deal with, that's not going in the cloud.

I'd like a touch-screen controller like the iPhone but just a controller. iPhone is not practical because if it rings, I've lost my controller. Dedicated controllers are mission-critical to playback systems. iPhone compatibility is a nice bonus only.

motlis
31st May 2010, 06:00 PM
It would have to stream from my iMac, which is where I do my media management. I'm not copying that data elsewhere and with 1.5TB to deal with, that's not going in the cloud.

I'd like a touch-screen controller like the iPhone but just a controller. iPhone is not practical because if it rings, I've lost my controller. Dedicated controllers are mission-critical to playback systems. iPhone compatibility is a nice bonus only.

Would be nice if it paused the game when a call came in. Not good at multi-tasking.

Seakip
31st May 2010, 10:05 PM
Would rather it feature a HHD rather than flash storage.

idiesel
31st May 2010, 11:09 PM
I prefer USB for ext storage or ethernet to ensure 1080p HD video can stream reliably unlike wireless.

mrpitiful
31st May 2010, 11:29 PM
Will be good to watch Apple go up against Google in the TV market. Will only mean we will get better and better stuff. Might eventually turn me back to watching TV for more than just sport.

idiesel
5th June 2010, 11:14 AM
June 14th launch date? (http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/03/mac-mini-supply-said-to-be-dwindling-world-wonders-why/)

angusg
5th June 2010, 11:24 AM
If I can stream all the stuff on my iMac, i'll buy.

Me too. This with a Time Capsule functioning as a NAS box would be perfect (then I can do away with the portable HDD I use to hold my iTunes library)