PDA

View Full Version : Screen Protectors... Your thoughts.

Superman
29th May 2010, 10:16 AM
Okay, yesterday i picked up a new iPad. I purchased the Gecko Golve with it and it cam with a free screen protector. Problem was i screwed up badly and as i tried to fix it things got worse with dust and what not attatching to the film.

So, should i get a new screen protector and if so which one? if not why?
And are the ones that come with the case any good/valued at much. It will make me feel better if they are just a cheap bit of plastic.

mitty
29th May 2010, 10:44 AM
You need this one:

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/57/85450-powersupport-ipad-protective-film-discount-mactalkers.html

It's simply awesome. Read through that thread.

kyte
29th May 2010, 11:26 AM
You need this one:

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/57/85450-powersupport-ipad-protective-film-discount-mactalkers.html

It's simply awesome. Read through that thread.

It might be awesome but I screwed my install up. Not sure I would recommend bothering, if someone is as clumsy as I am, and living dusty.

kevinnugent
29th May 2010, 11:28 AM
Screen protectors are the work of the devil and must be destroyed!

reemixx
29th May 2010, 11:51 AM
Initially, I wasn't going to bother. The screen is scratch resistant glass, and I decided I was going to use it the way Apple intended.

But then I got a little paranoid, thinking that if I *did* scratch the screen, I'd hate myself 'cause it's something that you can prevent so easily. So I ended up getting a Power Support crystal film, and I'm pretty happy I did. Even if all I get out of it is a little peace of mind, it's worth it.

I'm not really sure just how scratch resistant Apple's touch screens are. I had a 1st gen iPod Touch for about a year without a screen protector, and it never got a scratch on it (I used a folio style case with it, so the screen was always covered when inside the case). But my iPhones have always had the Power Support anti-glare screen protectors on them, so I'm not sure how scratched up they would have become from day-to-day use. You hear about people getting really scratched up screens from putting keys in the same pocket as their iPhones, etc. And then you see the videos on YouTube of people intentionally trying to scratch up their screens and not even leaving a mark. Makes it a little hard to gauge the scratch resistance of a screen without experimenting yourself with a $600+ device. And I'd rather not.

gumby08
29th May 2010, 12:03 PM
Initially, I wasn't going to bother. The screen is scratch resistant glass, and I decided I was going to use it the way Apple intended.

But then I got a little paranoid, thinking that if I *did* scratch the screen, I'd hate myself 'cause it's something that you can prevent so easily. So I ended up getting a Power Support crystal film, and I'm pretty happy I did. Even if all I get out of it is a little peace of mind, it's worth it.

I'm not really sure just how scratch resistant Apple's touch screens are. I had a 1st gen iPod Touch for about a year without a screen protector, and it never got a scratch on it (I used a folio style case with it, so the screen was always covered when inside the case). But my iPhones have always had the Power Support anti-glare screen protectors on them, so I'm not sure how scratched up they would have become from day-to-day use. You hear about people getting really scratched up screens from putting keys in the same pocket as their iPhones, etc. And then you see the videos on YouTube of people intentionally trying to scratch up their screens and not even leaving a mark. Makes it a little hard to gauge the scratch resistance of a screen without experimenting yourself with a $600+ device. And I'd rather not.

I didn't use screen protectors on either my 3G or 3GS iPhones and somehow ended up with scratches on both, even though I was very careful with them. My 3GS went into a Sena leather case from day one but still has a faint scratch down the middle of the screen. I suspect it has something to do with the way I clean the screen by rubbing it against my pants, as the only time it's unprotected is when it's in my hand.

I've therefore opted for a screen protector for the iPad as I found out the hard way that screens aren't scratch proof.

mjankor
29th May 2010, 12:12 PM
Okay, yesterday i picked up a new iPad. I purchased the Gecko Golve with it and it cam with a free screen protector. Problem was i screwed up badly and as i tried to fix it things got worse with dust and what not attatching to the film.

So, should i get a new screen protector and if so which one? if not why?
And are the ones that come with the case any good/valued at much. It will make me feel better if they are just a cheap bit of plastic.

If the screen protector is not damaged, but just has dust no it, then cover the side that sticks to the iPad with sticky tape, peel it off and try again.

That's rescued 3 or 4 screen protectors for my iPhone. (I never get it right first time)

mjankor
29th May 2010, 12:15 PM

It all comes down to Moh's scale of hardness.

Keys and other metal (Mohs 4 - 5) shouldn't scratch glass (Mohs 6 - 6.5) but sand (quartzite - Mohs 7) will scratch glass easily.

mitty
29th May 2010, 12:25 PM
Yes installation is a bitch and must be done in as dust free an environment as possible. I did mine at work and got away pretty well. If you get dust stuck underneath, lift up a corner with sticky tape and use another bit of tape wrapped around your fingers to get rid of the dust.

thats awesome
29th May 2010, 01:08 PM
I know the instilations can be a bit tricky at times, but I do think they are a great thing for a couple of reasons.

1) Peace of mind, knowing you don't have to be worried about the screen getting scratched.

2) Better resale, when you take screens/covers off decides they should look brand new.

I recommend Best Skins Ever - Cell Phone Skins & Protective Covers - iPhone Skins, Blackberry Skins, iPod Skins, Apple Laptop Skins - Best Skins Ever (http://www.bestskinsever.com/) they are much cheaper than the competitors and a great quality product. They don't come in fancy packaging or anything but at least you get to keep some money in your pocket.

Check up reviews on the web or youtube for more info.

reemixx
29th May 2010, 05:42 PM
It all comes down to Moh's scale of hardness.

Keys and other metal (Mohs 4 - 5) shouldn't scratch glass (Mohs 6 - 6.5) but sand (quartzite - Mohs 7) will scratch glass easily.

Yup. And sand is pretty much the only thing that you'd come across day to day that would scratch the glass screen. All fine in theory, but doesn't stop those saying that having keys in the same pocket as their iPhone caused the screen to scratch, or those saying they take their iPhone to the beach regularly and it's never gotten a mark on it.

I'm just interested in the practical side of it. Apple claims the screen is scratch resistant. Clearly, Apple intends for us to use its touchscreen devices as they come, without a screen protector (especially now you can't even buy them from Apple). But, in practice, is the screen scratch resistant enough? Like I said, I'm too chicken to find out for myself. Would rather just spend the $20-$30 for peace of mind. Really, though, I shouldn't have to.

When do we get scratch proof screens? ;)

aokman
29th May 2010, 06:27 PM
Nextbyte have screen protectors in stock i was going to get the invisible shield but didn't bother in the end i got the elano anti-glare which I like the look of. It was a prick to install though as once i had it stuck down I had to peel the film and it started to lift the shield again then i had to push the air bubbles out again. Also when you peel the sticky side it gets a static charge and attracts dust like crazy so you have to be fast upshot is that you cant see it I guess with the sceen turned on....

jleetj
29th May 2010, 08:13 PM
Scratch resistant doesn't mean scratch-proof so I always use screen protectors on mobile screens and I usually just buy cheap Hong Kong ones off eBay. I order a few at once and change them out every 6 to 12 months. iPad ones cost <$2 each on eBay.

nando
29th May 2010, 08:28 PM
is there a good screen protector which protects finger prints??
the iPad seems to be finger print magnet! :(

Thrymr
29th May 2010, 08:47 PM
is there a good screen protector which protects finger prints??
the iPad seems to be finger print magnet! :(

Power Support's Anti-Glare Film does a pretty good job at keeping fingerprints at bay.

raf
29th May 2010, 08:57 PM
I love the anti-glare film, it's got such a nice feel to it and it reduces fingerprints so much that you can't ever notice them.

maghemi
29th May 2010, 10:12 PM
I personally have the belkin brand that can be found at JB. I've had the same brand on my iPhone for ages and love them. Also I find that I don't even notice it on the iPad. And it also seems to resist finger marks really well. But that's just personal preference.

hobbsy101
29th May 2010, 10:17 PM
I bought a bodyguardz front back and sides protector from an Australian screen protector site. Absolutely fantastic. Protects it from bumps and scratches and don't have to worry about scratching either the screen, the aluminium or sides. Just the install was painful but well worth it

raf
29th May 2010, 10:46 PM
By the way, I've done plenty of these film installations before and while the Power Support stuff is easier with iPhones as they give you the tape, make sure you have some handy for fixes.

The best method with the iPad is to place an A4 piece of paper directly over the screen as soon as you've wiped it free of dust. Then starting from the top (with the home button). You peel just a bit of the film from its backing, and slowly curl it backwards. As you do this, make sure you keep pulling the A4 sheet towards you.

Essentially it means that dust has to fly in from the left/right to get inside a gap no bigger than a couple cm.

I've used this technique over and over and it's worked great.

aokman
29th May 2010, 11:43 PM
it would definately be a good idea to do the elano one slowly instead of their method of removing the whole sheet in 1 hit as the static is bad i got 2 bits of dust under mine but you cant see it anyway. I like the anti glare. It does have a slight effect on the image but it resists finger prints quite well so you dont notice them and its nice to glide over :)

Leopard
29th May 2010, 11:50 PM
I personally have the belkin brand that can be found at JB. I've had the same brand on my iPhone for ages and love them. Also I find that I don't even notice it on the iPad. And it also seems to resist finger marks really well. But that's just personal preference.

Same here used iPad yesterday to get feel of screen nice and smooth,put on Belkin tonight,screen felt the same,don't even know it's there...Fantastic:cool:

kyte
30th May 2010, 06:22 AM

I nearly got that one on Friday when I bought the Apple case. Like you, its what I now have on my iphone and Its nearly invisible. seems to cut glare a bit as well. UGH, maybe I should try again, even though I messed up most magnificently with the Power support antiglare :(

minmi377
30th May 2010, 06:56 PM
I nearly got that one on Friday when I bought the Apple case. Like you, its what I now have on my iphone and Its nearly invisible. seems to cut glare a bit as well. UGH, maybe I should try again, even though I messed up most magnificently with the Power support antiglare :(

Hi all,
Puchased Gecko guard from JB easy to install, if you follow the guide, omes in two types anti glare and plain bought the anti glare $29 with two screens in pkt.
Regards