PDA

View Full Version : Burning Dvd

Wheels
11th September 2005, 10:22 PM
Hi,

Sorry to bother you all again! (I seem to be having a lot of queries/issues lately!)

I have just extracted a DVD using MacTheRipper and I don't know how to get it onto a DVD now?? Do I simply just drag the video_TS and audio folders to a DVD finder window?

Also if I want to play this DVD (just a movie) in a normal player....do I buy DVD-R or DVD+R?

Thanks a lot!

Jobe

Rayd
11th September 2005, 10:31 PM
well if you are making a "backup" of a retail DVD, then you will need to use DVD2oneX to get rid of the macrovision protection, then you can burn the VIDEO_TS folder.

if it is a homemade DVD then all you need to do is rip like you have, and burn like you mentioned.

it doesnt matter if it is DVD+R or DVD-R, its what you burner can burn on, and what your player can read. your powerbook can write on both i think? you may need to check what your player can read.

Rayd
11th September 2005, 10:33 PM
also if it is a comercial DVD, when reburning it, make sure you use ALL CAPTITALS and no spaces, in all folder names,

so the DVD will look like HARRY_POTTER and inside the DVD you will have 2 folders VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS

Wheels
12th September 2005, 10:18 AM
I thought MacThe Ripper was supposed to remove theh macrovision protection? Does is not??

chocho
12th September 2005, 10:58 AM
"mac the ripper" does remove macrovision (select checked box), dvd2one will compress the original dvd data to fit onto a single layer dvd! i prefer to use dvd-r since they are most compatible with dvd players!

:)

Mikey
12th September 2005, 12:10 PM
Mac the Ripper comes with a very comprehensive manual if you download it from the website http://www.ripdifferent.com/~mtr/ with easy to follow instructions for ripping and burning using a variety of software. Follow the manual and you will have no problems at all.

noisypoppy
12th September 2005, 12:21 PM
here's what I do:
rip with mac the ripper
open up toast 7, VIDEO_TS to Divx and hit burn (with compression on to squeeze a 7GB DVD onto a 4.7GB one...don't have a dual layer burner)

done ;D

richbowen
12th September 2005, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by noisypoppy@Sep 12 2005, 12:21 PM

open up toast 7, VIDEO_TS to Divx and hit burn (with compression on to squeeze a 7GB DVD onto a 4.7GB one...don't have a dual layer burner)

I use Popcorn, although I think Toast 7 now has Popcorn functionality. Is Popcorn burning to Divx? I thought the compression was to MPEG2, which is used in most standard DVD players?

panda
12th September 2005, 02:25 PM
There are subtleties beyond my understanding with DVD copying.

Extracted with mactheripper then burned VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders to DVD, works fine on my Mac and DVD. Doesn't work on mates DVD, cant get past the menu.

Direct copy using Toast Lite works on all the above.

Tejas
12th September 2005, 03:06 PM
i use dvd fast copy - copy, compresses and burns all in 1. you cn even take out the bonus features to improve quality of the feature

the_OM
12th September 2005, 03:18 PM
I use mac the ripper and then burn with popcorn.

Rayd
12th September 2005, 03:51 PM
yep sorry, got a bit mixed up yes, mactheripper gets rid of macrovision, dvd2oneX compresses the DVD... my bad.

as suggested you can use toast 7 or popcorn also, but i find that dvd2oneX give a more clearer picture. :D

Edge
12th September 2005, 05:38 PM
You can use Toast (I use 6) to create a UDF format data DVD (in the Advanced sidebar.) Drag the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders to the data structure and burn away. This creates a DVD which is compatible with most DVD players.

All this talk of ripping commercial DVDs should not take place here. There are many legitimate uses for these programs, but copying movies is not one of them.

Wheels
14th September 2005, 07:24 PM
Sorry but just to add - After ripping with MacTheRipper, do I actually need to use Toast, Popcorrn, or dvd2oneX?? If I do have to use this type of program, does anybody know of a free program?

Thanks a lot,
wheels8989

Wheels
14th September 2005, 09:52 PM
If none of you know a free program, is it possible to get a free copy of dvd2one?? Can you just download it and then find the registration number somewhere on the net? I realise that AppleTalk will not condone this but is it possible?

Wheels
15th September 2005, 09:22 AM
*bump*
Anybody??

Johnny Appleseed
15th September 2005, 11:17 AM
You only need DVD2One if the files won't fit on a standard blank DVD. As for burning, the UDF format is the key. Toast does it, not sure about free equivalents sorry.

Wheels
15th September 2005, 09:15 PM
OK thanks to the ppl who have helped. I have now got a copy of DVD2ONEX and it works well. When it actually comes to the burning - do I just drag both the folders or do I need to get a program that turns the format on it to UDF?? I thought the Mac would be able to do this without all this software!