PDA

View Full Version : iPad on Telstra - Support & Discussion

decryption
28th May 2010, 12:08 PM
Any questions regarding Telstra & the iPad go here.

(the other one was accidentally deleted, sorry)

PCKid
28th May 2010, 12:12 PM
Oops ;0) What was it? Oh Yes what's with the Sim mobile numbers? We are waiting (patiently) for our 2 iPads and have opened the 2 Sim packs and now we have 2 new mobile numbers. Why do we need mobile numbers for the data? What on the iPad needs a new mobile number?

Thrymr
28th May 2010, 12:13 PM
Oops ;0) What was it? Oh Yes what's with the Sim mobile numbers? We are waiting (patiently) for our 2 iPads and have opened the 2 Sim packs and now we have 2 new mobile numbers. Why do we need mobile numbers for the data? What on the iPad needs a new mobile number?

Just treat them like your account numbers.

Mickytk
28th May 2010, 12:22 PM
Reposting from before.

I cant seem to get my 3G activated on the iPad.
I follow the instructions, to install the sim card and go to the page with the wifi disabled, and i get this:

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/816/img0001mj.png (http://img6.imageshack.us/i/img0001mj.png/)

mmulhern
28th May 2010, 12:22 PM
Yes what's with the Sim mobile numbers? . . . . Why do we need mobile numbers for the data? What on the iPad needs a new mobile number?

Think of the SIMs as just common garden variety phone SIMs, but with no voice call credits). If you could put them in a phone, you'd be able to receive calls on that number. (Just as I do with the 3 "data" SIM in my iPhone that used to live in the USB 3G modem)

beatmasterbee
28th May 2010, 12:58 PM
anyone know how long is usually takes after phone activation for data to begin working on your ipad? its been 3 hours now since they activated it...

ajbeardy
28th May 2010, 12:59 PM
That is the same for me..

The_Hawk
28th May 2010, 01:05 PM
I got mine at 9:30 this morning and was up and running within about 30 minutes or so (the time it took to walk to the office and do the first sync). Everything seems to "just work" which is the way I like it :D

One of the guys at work was sitting on "No Service" and wondering WTF was going on... switching on and off and BAM it's all up and working. So try that :D

ajbeardy
28th May 2010, 01:07 PM
That is the same for me..

I just did a sync again and got new carrier settings and now I am good to go.

DJY
28th May 2010, 01:11 PM
check APN
when they activated mine in store yesterday - and I put it in my iPad... it didn't work.
I had nothing in the APN
either telstra.iph OR telstra.internet worked for me?

Or are you having problems that they haven't activated it yet?

Bogus Jimmy
28th May 2010, 01:22 PM
I work for Telstra Business and my service wasn't activated a couple of hours after getting off the phone. One of the other guys in the office who knows how to use the system (I don't technically do anything with mobiles) had a look at my service and said it was missing some codes, so he added them and I was online straight away.

IndigoReef
28th May 2010, 01:40 PM
Telstra network at Robina was down today, at least effecting some of the stores in Robina shopping town. It may have nothing to do with this, but thought it worth the mention.

Cybix
28th May 2010, 01:57 PM
telstra not activating for me... fail.

beatmasterbee
28th May 2010, 02:06 PM
check APN
when they activated mine in store yesterday - and I put it in my iPad... it didn't work.
I had nothing in the APN

same worked for me. i put "telstra.internet" into the APN and it started working

what would I have done if i wasn't tech savvy?

StoneWolf
28th May 2010, 02:09 PM
Picked up my iPad around 9:30 AM and it too wasn't working despite having the telstra.iph as the APN. I bounced the device (powered off, then on) and all was rosey.

mitty
28th May 2010, 02:28 PM
Make sure you sync and download carrier settings. I got mine activated at TLife last night, well worth the day of credit I lost.

adrianlloyd
28th May 2010, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the sync/carrier setting tip - solved it for me.

(actually didn't need to do a full sync which is good because my MBP is at home and I don't do a full sync with my work Mac).

minmi377
28th May 2010, 04:33 PM
Hi all,
Painless act. With Telstra purchased sim at 3pm spoke to Telstra at 3:15 woking at 3:30
Regards

babypoppop
28th May 2010, 04:34 PM
bs. telstra activation in-store doesn't work. calling them and have been on hold forever.

babypoppop
28th May 2010, 04:57 PM
after 15 mins on hold, activation was done over the phone successfully in less than 5 mins. iPad up and running on NextG within 10 mins after i hung up.

speed doesnt seem as fast as on my iPhone 3GS. i wonder why.

DJY
28th May 2010, 05:36 PM
bs. telstra activation in-store doesn't work. calling them and have been on hold forever.

two things to check if they have activated it in store...

APN (telstra.internet OR telstra.iph)

Turn it off and turn it back on.

Trying to get any customer service out of them - phone or face to face - is painful... shame they have the best / biggest / fastest network.

Thrymr
28th May 2010, 05:50 PM
Just a tip for anyone looking to set or change their micro-SIM PIN. It's not 0000 or the like. You'll have to get it from Telstra, so it's probably best to ask for it during activation to save you another call.

Artin
28th May 2010, 05:52 PM
On the phone with Telstra now (on hold), my sim seems to be registered but when I try to go to a website it will just redirect me to the myprepaid website. I don't think I have the 3GB data.

Artin

ascairns
28th May 2010, 05:54 PM
Hi all - yes the problem for me was the iPad as received brand new from the box did not have a Telstra APN setting entered - I guess I might be wanting to use it with another carrier but there was nothing in the SIM from Telstra to instruct me for that . I bought a prepaid SIM which was 1GB plus a bonus $2gb for the first 30 days .
The fix is to enter telstra.internet as the APN
I too spent a lot of time on hold but the operator did not know about the APN setting even when directly asked. I told her the answer after reading on this forum so well done and thanks to the previous posters.

klif
28th May 2010, 09:02 PM
The APN details I believe are encompassed in the carrier update that iTunes applies to the iPad as part of the activation procedure.

I inserted the Micro-SIM into the iPad and then powered it on for the first time, it asked to be connected to iTunes, which downloaded the carrier update and applied it.

It worked immediately after that without having to enter any APN details whatsoever.

maghemi
28th May 2010, 09:36 PM
check APN
I had nothing in the APN

That fixed my problems. It was working a bit before putting that in. But after I put in telstra.Internet into the apn section it all works perfectly now.

VOOK
28th May 2010, 11:47 PM
Still getting the error even after updating on itunes and then putting it in manually too. :(

Will have to phone tomorrow

ivanlai
29th May 2010, 12:13 AM
Still getting the error even after updating on itunes and then putting it in manually too. :(

Will have to phone tomorrow

same here. I even went to the store to activate and made sure it's for the iPad not just any prepaid SIM. this sucks.

VOOK
29th May 2010, 12:21 AM
Might drop into T-life tomorrow.

Joey1983
29th May 2010, 01:02 AM
Is there any way of tracking these pre-paid iPad plans in consume?

beatmasterbee
29th May 2010, 04:55 PM
this may sound like a stupid question...but does anyone know how to recharge these Telstra pre-paid SIM's? can you do it online or attach it to an account so it automatically gets recharged each month?

Cheers

maghemi
29th May 2010, 10:27 PM
I'd like to k ow how to monitor usage. Is there an easy way to do this? I know with my prepaid wireless modem the software that installs onto the laptop has the options to show it to me. And my iphone has the bookmark for the 'my three' page to get the info there for three.

If would be nice if they provided an app or a web page for that like three do for the iPhone.

DJY
29th May 2010, 10:53 PM
this may sound like a stupid question...but does anyone know how to recharge these Telstra pre-paid SIM's? can you do it online or attach it to an account so it automatically gets recharged each month?

Cheers

You can recharge via
myprepaid.telstra.com/ipad
using vouchers or credit card.

I understand there is a way you can set up an automatic direct debit as well... well according to the Telstra guy that sold me my micro SIM.

MrJesseRoss
29th May 2010, 10:55 PM

Cheers

I'd like to k ow how to monitor usage. Is there an easy way to do this? I know with my prepaid wireless modem the software that installs onto the laptop has the options to show it to me. And my iphone has the bookmark for the 'my three' page to get the info there for three.

If would be nice if they provided an app or a web page for that like three do for the iPhone.

If you go to My Account (http://myprepaid.telstra.com/ipad/) while on your 3G connection, you can monitor your usage and recharge your credit.

KyeSeveN
29th May 2010, 11:41 PM
Hi guys, I'm also after a way to check my usage in apps like consume and quota, not really happy with the my prepaid site and having to turn off wifi to check it when im at home or uni.

Any help would be great!

DJY
30th May 2010, 08:14 AM
Hi guys, I'm also after a way to check my usage in apps like consume and quota, not really happy with the my prepaid site and having to turn off wifi to check it when im at home or uni.

Any help would be great!

I think the team at Bjango announced a recipe for Telstra pre paid iPad's yesterday... so Consume will now work for you.

Cybix
30th May 2010, 10:52 AM
What are the telstra smtp settings for my iPad?

Taa

Found it: mail.bigpond.com

KyeSeveN
30th May 2010, 06:48 PM
I think the team at Bjango announced a recipe for Telstra pre paid iPad's yesterday... so Consume will now work for you.

Yea you can now add it to consume but it's the same problem where wifi needs to be off so it can use your sim number. Really after something like when you type in the details of your big bond net details to check usage, only to stop from witching wifi on and off since i only ever remember to check at home lol.

Phunky
30th May 2010, 09:18 PM
Anyone else showing a balance of $0 in the my account section after entering the pan settings and restarting the iPad? Maybe they haven't activated my number yet

decryption
30th May 2010, 09:21 PM
Anyone else showing a balance of $0 in the my account section after entering the pan settings and restarting the iPad? Maybe they haven't activated my number yet

Yeah, mine has $0 as well - it's because you haven't actually recharged yet. You purchased the SIM which includes 3GB of data.

MrJesseRoss
30th May 2010, 09:40 PM
If you have a look at your balance screen, you'll see three lots of 1,024mb. It's just bonus data for now.

Phunky
30th May 2010, 10:27 PM
Yeah, mine has $0 as well - it's because you haven't actually recharged yet. You purchased the SIM which includes 3GB of data.

If you have a look at your balance screen, you'll see three lots of 1,024mb. It's just bonus data for now.

Ahh excellent, yup all working fine then

mitty
30th May 2010, 10:29 PM
I'm guessing once we actually buy data that it will look different to how it does now.

Soliah
30th May 2010, 10:42 PM
It should be noted that all prepaid sims with Telstra will connect to the network even before activation. So just because you get the "Telstra" in the top left doesn't mean the service is actually activated and ready to be used.

funwithstuff
31st May 2010, 10:33 AM
One thing that caught me: you have to use a Telstra line to call 1258880 for activation. It's just engaged if you ring from a VOIP service, at least from MyNetFone and PennyTel.

IndigoReef
1st June 2010, 12:17 AM
Check this out
About carrier settings updates in iTunes (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1970?viewlocale=en_US)

D_W_Y
1st June 2010, 10:18 AM
to check your quota use the "bigpond" app connected over 3g and you can go directly to your account page no login required. you can use quota and consume if you like but this works much better(have used both with my phone).

also its amazing how many people seem to be new to telstra, telstra.internet is the basic connection and is fine but telstra.iph connects using the telstra proxy to the bigpond network(which allows the bigpond app to work).

if telstra.iph doesnt work, as didnt with mine, call telstra and they can activate it over the phone.

K3G
1st June 2010, 12:32 PM
I'm on Telstra prepaid for my iPhone. Does anyone with a Telstra ipad wanna try and see if CreditMe2U works between iPhone and ipad. I have shitloads of credit so I don't mind shouting someone a few dollars for lulz.

babypoppop
1st June 2010, 01:07 PM
I'm on Telstra prepaid for my iPhone. Does anyone with a Telstra ipad wanna try and see if CreditMe2U works between iPhone and ipad. I have shitloads of credit so I don't mind shouting someone a few dollars for lulz.

interesting, i would also like to know how it works because we're only limited to $10 daily, and I wonder how much $10 could actually give us. i'm in the same situation as yourself. lots of credit on my prepaid mobile.

K3G
1st June 2010, 01:10 PM
interesting, i would also like to know how it works because we're only limited to $10 daily, and I wonder how much $10 could actually give us. i'm in the same situation as yourself. lots of credit on my prepaid mobile.

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/55/86296-ipad-telstra-creditme2u.html

charliektm400exc
3rd June 2010, 01:21 PM
I can't actually get my data usage from the Telstra page. When I go in there it just tells me there is a problem with the system and to try again later or to ring the 13 number. I went into the Telstra shop and they had no idea what it was. I'm not convinced that I will get any further ringing the number and besides finding a phine that will ring the number is very difficult. does anybody have any ideas?

DeanCorp
3rd June 2010, 02:26 PM
Mine is still sitting on 3Telstra. Really pissing me off. I might as well have gone with 3! Max Speed Test ~ 300kbps.

K3G
3rd June 2010, 02:28 PM
Mine is still sitting on 3Telstra. Really pissing me off. I might as well have gone with 3! Max Speed Test ~ 300kbps.

my iPhone does that every now and again. I find taking the SIM out and cleaning it as well as the SIM slot tends to fix the problem.

klif
3rd June 2010, 06:13 PM

My iPhone does it occasionally I just put the phone in and out of flight mode and it goes back to the normal Telstra NextG.

Annoying but quick to fix.

jeffkirkland
4th June 2010, 07:18 AM
My iPad was on 3TELSTRA about 50% of the time so I went to carrier setting and changed the network from auto to Telstra Mobile. Can't think of any reason to have it auto select a different network, especially if it's getting it wrong all the time.

PCKid
4th June 2010, 10:01 AM
With the Me2U is there a charge to donate to someone else? My wife and I both have iPads and she will never use as much as me so if she needs to give me some of her data is that free?

chaosboi
4th June 2010, 10:25 AM
With the Me2U is there a charge to donate to someone else? My wife and I both have iPads and she will never use as much as me so if she needs to give me some of her data is that free?

it's .25c per transfer, but you can only transfer $10 perday with prepaid.

DeanCorp
4th June 2010, 10:54 AM
My iPad was on 3TELSTRA about 50% of the time so I went to carrier setting and changed the network from auto to Telstra Mobile. Can't think of any reason to have it auto select a different network, especially if it's getting it wrong all the time.

I tried that but it goes "Searching. . ."

PCKid
4th June 2010, 01:04 PM
it's .25c per transfer, but you can only transfer $10 perday with prepaid.

So what does that represent. I mean in terms of data. First month we have 3 gb then only 1 gb. So say I want to grab 200 mb. Based on the fact $20 a month buys you 1 gb does that mean $10 represents 500 MB?

greggy
4th June 2010, 01:53 PM
So, I just activated my Telstra Microsim and I seem to be on a very slow edge network. Yet, I'm in Clifton Hill and would assume I'd get a reasonable 3g network speed. I'm not sure if i need to do something more, I have the correct apn settings.. anyone?

PCKid
4th June 2010, 08:25 PM
Can't access my account on 3G. Says fail everytime.

leoleakey
6th June 2010, 10:49 AM
Same. So I changed to telstra.Internet ,start working again.
Will I be charged by using this ?

babypoppop
6th June 2010, 10:54 AM
Same. So I changed to telstra.Internet ,start working again.
Will I be charged by using this ?

had the "cannot activate cellular network data" issue. changed the apn as suggested. worked again! thanks.

macrob69
6th June 2010, 12:03 PM
There is apparently a network problem for Telstra iPad plans - have a read here:

could not activate cellular data network - iPad (http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/1455864.html)

I have had no problems with 3G until today - and now have connection issues. Will try again this arvo.
:(

tcn33
6th June 2010, 12:11 PM
No issues here using default APN (eastern suburbs).

edit: spoke too soon. No issues on iPad, iPhone gets "could not activate cellular data". Weird.

macrob69
6th June 2010, 12:14 PM
Working again :)

Thrymr
6th June 2010, 07:11 PM
Has anyone else noticed, in the last day or so, that the "My Balance" pages for Pre-Paid Mobile and Pre-Paid Wireless Broadband now display data balances to the nearest MB rather than the nearest KB?

According to Telstra's site, they're still charging data by the KB, so they could well have just adopted a policy similar to Vodafone's where data is charged by the KB, but the final aggregate is rounded to the nearest MB.

However, if the site isn't up-to-date and they're now charging each session by the MB, then there are going to be a lot of unhappy users around.

Thrymr
7th June 2010, 03:41 AM
Has anyone else noticed, in the last day or so, that the "My Balance" pages for Pre-Paid Mobile and Pre-Paid Wireless Broadband now display data balances to the nearest MB rather than the nearest KB?

According to Telstra's site, they're still charging data by the KB, so they could well have just adopted a policy similar to Vodafone's where data is charged by the KB, but the final aggregate is rounded to the nearest MB.

However, if the site isn't up-to-date and they're now charging each session by the MB, then there are going to be a lot of unhappy users around.

Well, after checking "My Account" on the desktop, as well as testing data usage across multiple sessions tonight, I'm pretty sure data is still charged by the KB. The "My Balance" pages just show data to the nearest MB instead.

Nisstrust
7th June 2010, 12:05 PM
i had that issue yesterday, though that i was out of credit so recharged.. doh!

PCKid
8th June 2010, 11:11 AM
Are we getting a bonus 1GB till September? I thought I read that here somewhere when the discussions started re Telstra iPad Microsim pricing.

Thrymr
8th June 2010, 01:58 PM
Are we getting a bonus 1GB till September? I thought I read that here somewhere when the discussions started re Telstra iPad Microsim pricing.

It's Optus that you're thinking of. They're offering a bonus 1 GB on activations and recharges until September 30.

Phunky
8th June 2010, 02:09 PM
You get 2gb bonus if you activate by 30 June
1gb starter + 2gb bonus = 3gb

PCKid
8th June 2010, 02:47 PM

I'm barely going to use a gig. So does half of the two gb bonuses rollover? And they keep rolling over half of that bonus till they run out?

Thrymr
8th June 2010, 03:03 PM
I'm barely going to use a gig. So does half of the two gb bonuses rollover? And they keep rolling over half of that bonus till they run out?

My understanding is that the bonus data packs don't roll over. They'll expire 30 days from your activation date.

Once you start recharging, you add credit to your account. Telstra applies a data rate to your credit to determine the amount of data you can use (2c per MB for $20 recharges, or 1c per MB for $30+ recharges). Any unused credit rolls over provided you recharge before the expiry date.

chrisede
12th June 2010, 04:20 PM
Finally got around to buying a Micro Sim..

Got it activated over the phone, but I can't browse the net.

Have tried using telstra.iph (as default) and also telstra.internet as the APNs. No luck.

I can get to the Telstra Prepaid site, but nothing else....

Anybody?

Bogus Jimmy
12th June 2010, 04:32 PM
How long has it been since you activated it? If it's been a couple of hours then call Telstra again as it's possible that the correct codes weren't added.

chrisede
12th June 2010, 04:35 PM
yeah it's only been about half an hour, tops.
I assumed that since it was sending me to the telstra page and showing my service the rest should work...

Been a while since I've had to activate a SIM myself. Do all ours through Telstra Business.

I'll give it a bit longer and try again :P

chrisede
13th June 2010, 11:25 AM
OK it's fixed...

The guy I called today checked my account, found it was set up to be a phone not an iPad, and fixed it up. Then confirmed my number.. it wasn't my number. I heard a big "oh shit!" coming from the other end of the phone.. hahaha

He got my number again, and activated as it should have been the first time :D

But I'm only getting EDGE data, not 3G. Odd.

ffx
17th June 2010, 12:25 PM
Hi all,

Thank you for putting me out of my 'oh no I have to call Telstra (again) to get this stupid prepaid card to work' misery.

Quick story;
- received iPad, sync'd with iTunes, love it, used WiFi for a week
- decide it's time to go 3G and choose Bigpond $30 prepaid card (best short term option imho)
- walk into tstore, buy card, cute girl says 'I'll activate that for you and it'll be ready 1-2 hours'
- 4 hours... nothing.
- I call Telstra, nice boy activates the card for me. 'it will be active in 5-30 mins.. 'silly girl me thinks'. Then I sync with iTunes... still nothing.
- Next morning I call for support and while I'm waiting to talk to another nice human, I find this thread *saviour*.

- added telstra.internet to apn setting, then restart iPad on a hunch, now 3G works

THERE IS NOTHING DOCUMENTED ABOUT THIS ISSUE!!!

Except here.

Aladdin
17th June 2010, 01:57 PM
That's interesting.

When I rang to activate, I got told to enter 'telstra.iph' as APN.

It's worked flawlessly from the start. Didn't even need to sync with Mac first (was away on long weekend).

babypoppop
17th June 2010, 03:17 PM
Hi all,

Thank you for putting me out of my 'oh no I have to call Telstra (again) to get this stupid prepaid card to work' misery.

Quick story;
- received iPad, sync'd with iTunes, love it, used WiFi for a week
- decide it's time to go 3G and choose Bigpond $30 prepaid card (best short term option imho)
- walk into tstore, buy card, cute girl says 'I'll activate that for you and it'll be ready 1-2 hours'
- 4 hours... nothing.
- I call Telstra, nice boy activates the card for me. 'it will be active in 5-30 mins.. 'silly girl me thinks'. Then I sync with iTunes... still nothing.
- Next morning I call for support and while I'm waiting to talk to another nice human, I find this thread *saviour*.

- added telstra.internet to apn setting, then restart iPad on a hunch, now 3G works

THERE IS NOTHING DOCUMENTED ABOUT THIS ISSUE!!!

Except here.

i think u gotta sync it with iTunes, the Check for Updates and download the latest carrier settings. that would automatically include the APN for you.

anyway, u got it up and running. so enjoy!

ffx
17th June 2010, 03:19 PM
Aladdin,

Clearly we didn't get the same person on the phone! I tried the sync'ing last night, hoping that maybe iTunes would 'do something', which it didn't.

I just swapped telstra.internet with telstra.iph and it worked straight away, just now.

Pity the cute girl at tstore, or the two people I spoke to didn't know... maybe it's been circulated since yesterday.. or maybe Telstra just come here for their answers???

Mac Monk
17th June 2010, 04:18 PM
(on Telstra that is)

Which is the same as buying their 3Gb $30 plan after you pay $10 for the SIM.
Ain't nothin free with them!

Cybix
26th June 2010, 12:11 PM
what speeds are people getting with Telstra? It's certainly not faster than my Optus (virgin mifi). has slightly better coverage, but... speed seems the same, almost shaped to under 2Mb/s (never goes over)

waynie
26th June 2010, 02:22 PM
With Monday being a month since the first official deliveries in Australia, some of you may be coming up to recharge. The 'MyAccount' link has been dead for me all day, and after a frustrating experience and 40 minute phone queue, I was told the following...

If you cannot access MyAccount to recharge form your iPad and wish to recharge via credit/debit card, simply visit https://prepaidrecharge.telstra.com/prepaidrecharge from any internet enabled device.

Hopefully this will save someone some frustration!

DJY
26th June 2010, 03:54 PM
With Monday being a month since the first official deliveries in Australia, some of you may be coming up to recharge. The 'MyAccount' link has been dead for me all day, and after a frustrating experience and 40 minute phone queue, I was told the following...

If you cannot access MyAccount to recharge form your iPad and wish to recharge via credit/debit card, simply visit https://prepaidrecharge.telstra.com/prepaidrecharge from any internet enabled device.

Hopefully this will save someone some frustration!

Update: I was due to recharge today...
so just tried and it worked fine!
My Home page now shows my current month - due to expire tonight...
and I have a $20 credit showing in the first line of text.

DJY
26th June 2010, 10:49 PM
Seems Telstra are now displaying the amount of credit as both data and dollar amount now. So after the intro month deal we don't see the $0.00 credit amount but rather it counts down and displays the relevant cents/MB rate as well.

PCKid
27th June 2010, 12:10 PM
Tomorrow is the reactivation date if you bought the Telstra Microsim package on day one. I was a bit nervous so I did it with my iPad and credit card today as I wasn't sure if there was also a "Time of Day" expiry tomorrow. So really I've sacrificed a day as it now says it will expire on July 27th.

Will it be ok to leave it till the last minute and do it on the ending day (July 27th) at any time of the day?

PCKid
27th June 2010, 12:12 PM
My Wife has been in Darwin for almost a week on 3G Telstra with her iPad. No WiFi and used it a lot. I just went to recharge hers and her remaining data is 1015 plus the 2 1000 bonus datas. So she actually has more than she started with after a month. Very odd.

Also she had no end of trouble up there with the 3G. Any SMS she sent me came through as email MMS Picture messages from Telstra. None went to my iPhone at all. Works as normal now she is back and it refused to send her iinet emails saying the outgoing smtp was incorrect which it wasn't. She's pretty cluey and new how to check and verify all that. Now she's back all those emails went out no problem.

MrJesseRoss
27th June 2010, 12:18 PM
I don't see any reason why recharging on the last day should be an issue. I actually recharged yesterday just in case it took 24 hours to show up, but as soon as I hit the button to confirm, the $20 credit showed up on my account. No dramas.

cjm19
27th June 2010, 12:42 PM
I have set up a recurring recharge - have to choose a day for this to happen - guess I'll miss out on roll forward of data as often this will exceed 30 days. Anyone had prior experience with Telstra mobile prepaid to confirm if this is the case?

DJY
27th June 2010, 05:14 PM
My Wife has been in Darwin for almost a week on 3G Telstra with her iPad. No WiFi and used it a lot. I just went to recharge hers and her remaining data is 1015 plus the 2 1000 bonus datas. So she actually has more than she started with after a month. Very odd.

Also she had no end of trouble up there with the 3G. Any SMS she sent me came through as email MMS Picture messages from Telstra. None went to my iPhone at all. Works as normal now she is back and it refused to send her iinet emails saying the outgoing smtp was incorrect which it wasn't. She's pretty cluey and new how to check and verify all that. Now she's back all those emails went out no problem.

I have used my iPad in Darwin on Telstra, and also use my MBA up there regularly on a Telstra NextG USB modem. Great speeds and consistent coverage...
iPhone is fine up there - with calls and SMS, but Darwin used to muck up the automatic time and date though.

PCKid
28th June 2010, 03:13 PM
Was there no rollover at all from the initial Microsim Telstra bundle? I only used 500 mb so I expected 250 mb to be rolled over but it says only 985.5kb left.

Thrymr
28th June 2010, 03:16 PM
Was there no rollover at all from the initial Microsim Telstra bundle? I only used 500 mb so I expected 250 mb to be rolled over but it says only 985.5kb left.

No, the initial data doesn't roll over. They were provided as data packs with an explicit expiry date.

klif
28th June 2010, 10:05 PM
No, the initial data doesn't roll over. They were provided as data packs with an explicit expiry date.

such a shame i had 2.75GB of 3.00GB left ;)

iPad has mainly been on Wifi...

LithgowLights
29th June 2010, 08:03 AM
I had managed to use almost half of the initial 3gb and had to add $20 today finally (I got my sim later than launch day). I just bought a few $20 recharges last week and will use them on my iPad or the sons phone as needed.

The_Hawk
29th June 2010, 08:15 AM
I haven't bothered to re-charging yet since I don't seem to be using it outside the house so much. Being that I'll be recharging with a credit card (since the Paypal options has gone as far as I can see) I can always re-charge it the day I take it outside.

Roll over is hardly an issue when your lucky to get through 250mb anyway :P

Thrymr
30th June 2010, 01:10 PM
Good news, if you're about to jump on the Telstra bandwagon. The bonus 3 GB upon activation is now standard.

Twitter / Telstra : We're extending the popula ... (http://twitter.com/Telstra/status/17374395887)

klif
30th June 2010, 10:46 PM
I haven't bothered to re-charging yet since I don't seem to be using it outside the house so much. Being that I'll be recharging with a credit card (since the Paypal options has gone as far as I can see) I can always re-charge it the day I take it outside.

Roll over is hardly an issue when your lucky to get through 250mb anyway :P

How long after expiry can you leave it before Telstra cancel the MicroSIM though?

Thrymr
1st July 2010, 03:33 AM
How long after expiry can you leave it before Telstra cancel the MicroSIM though?

Six months.

The_Hawk
1st July 2010, 08:28 AM
Six months.

And I'm more than sure I will recharge in that period. Reality is that I'm using the iPad far less than I thought I would... damn my nerdy lust that makes me buy shiny new toys :P

Mac Monk
1st July 2010, 03:41 PM
Hi All

Just reading the Telstra recharge rules

http://photoshack.com/albums/userpics/22429/Unused_credits.png

Bloody confusing if you ask me but it seems to me that if you recharge before your expiry date of any unused credits, then new credit AND unused credit expire on the new expiry date.

Is that correct?

Thrymr
1st July 2010, 03:49 PM
Bloody confusing if you ask me but it seems to me that if you recharge before your expiry date of any unused credits, then new credit AND unused credit expire on the new expiry date.

Is that correct?

That's correct.

Mac Monk
1st July 2010, 04:56 PM
Then the best idea would be to buy 12Gig for $120 and then keep renewing one day before expiry every month on the cheapest plan ($20 - 1Gig).
This would effectively rollover the 12 Gig until it was consumed.

Thrymr
1st July 2010, 05:39 PM
Then the best idea would be to buy 12Gig for $120 and then keep renewing one day before expiry every month on the cheapest plan ($20 - 1Gig).
This would effectively rollover the 12 Gig until it was consumed.

Not exactly.

Firstly, 12 GB is a little cheaper than what you mentioned. It's $100, not $120.

Secondly, the data that you get with each recharge is based on the amount of credit available and your data rate. Telstra has a policy where if you recharge at a lower denomination, then the data rate for that denomination applies to all unused credit that rolls over. Because a $20 recharge has a higher data rate (2c/MB) than a $100 recharge (1c/MB), your effective data allowance would be halved.

You could, however, recharge with $30 instead. This way, your data rate would remain the same, and your effective allowance of 12 GB (or however much you have left at the end of the first month) would roll over. However, a $30 recharge gets you 3 GB per month, so the question is whether you'd need that much on top of the original 12 GB. Perhaps you'd be better off recharging with $30 right off the bat.

Mac Monk
1st July 2010, 07:06 PM
"EXCELLENT POINTS" he shouts from the rooftops.

Because all the plans from 3 Gig up use the same data rate, then there is no benefit in buying the gigher plans unless you really need the data, and even then you are only saving yourself the hassle of renewing half way thru the month.

Stupid plans really - no financial incentive to use more.

Aladdin
1st July 2010, 09:24 PM
Actually, $100 for 12GB means a data rate of 0.833c per MB.

mitty
3rd July 2010, 08:10 PM
Unless you're going to constantly watch youtube, I don't see how anyone could use more than 3gb a month. You'd have to be surfing constantly. I barely hit 600mb in my first month.

Mac Monk
14th July 2010, 02:18 PM
Hi All

Just reading the Telstra recharge rules

http://photoshack.com/albums/userpics/22429/Unused_credits.png

Is that correct?

Unfortunately this does not look as though it is correct. My 1Gb unused data was not rollled over.

chaosboi
14th July 2010, 02:23 PM
Unfortunately this does not look as though it is correct. My 1Gb unused data was not rollled over.

If it was left over from the bonus 3GB it won't roll over, only recharged data will roll over.

greggy
14th July 2010, 02:24 PM

Was this the bonus data that came with the sim?
If so, I think i heard that that data can't be rolled over.

Mac Monk
14th July 2010, 03:46 PM
Was this the bonus data that came with the sim?
If so, I think i heard that that data can't be rolled over.

I guess it was if they used the purchase data first and the bonus data last.

Darwiniandude
14th July 2010, 10:56 PM
Hang on, my 3x 1gb that came with the sim expires in. A few days. I've used 1.5 gb. If i recharge before the expiry, the remainder won't carry over? I was planning on shelling out $20 for 1GB to keep some of the remaining data. Have people recharged before expiry and ended up with nothing carried over?

Thrymr
15th July 2010, 02:47 AM
Hang on, my 3x 1gb that came with the sim expires in. A few days. I've used 1.5 gb. If i recharge before the expiry, the remainder won't carry over? I was planning on shelling out $20 for 1GB to keep some of the remaining data. Have people recharged before expiry and ended up with nothing carried over?

Yes, your assumptions are correct. The bonus data packs don't roll over, so don't feel obligated to shell out $20 right away to recharge unless you need to.

LithgowLights
15th July 2010, 07:37 AM

Correct. I am on my second recharge (as opposed to the first recharge after buying the initial sim) and the data left over from the initial recharge is still there (as I have over 1GB left)