PDA

View Full Version : Psp - Getting Wireless From A Mac Mini

danno74
11th September 2005, 05:11 PM
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew about this...

I have a Mac Mini with built-in Airport, but I don't have a wireless router/modem - my broadband modem is just plugged straight into ethernet on the Mini.

I'm getting a PSP in a couple of weeks and know that it has 801.11b wireless and you can surf the web on it, except it only says you can do that if you have a wireless modem/router.

I want to have the PSP read the wireless internet signal straight from the Mac Mini's inbuilt Airport card. Is this possible?

I know I can 'share the internet from Built-In Ethernet to computers using Airport' under 'Sharing Preferences' - will this cover the PSP? Has anyone had any experience with this as yet?

mac_man_luke
11th September 2005, 05:21 PM
Yep, you've got it

your basically turning the mini into a router

danno74
11th September 2005, 05:27 PM
Thanks Mac Man Luke!

That's good news - I was getting a little nervous at the thought of spending another $200 on the Airport Express!

:o)

Quamen
11th September 2005, 09:53 PM
Don't get too excited cause I don't think it will work.

You're not turning your mac mini into a router. You'll only be able to make a connection with one other machine (Ad Hoc mode)

The PSP won't link up in ad Hoc mode. It needs to be in infrastructure mode which will require a real router. At least that is my understanding of how it all works. And I havn't been able to connect my psp to my laptop directly.

mac_man_luke
11th September 2005, 10:04 PM
wrong, you can make the mac mini run in soft base station mode via internet sharing

cmetom
11th September 2005, 10:19 PM
also, if i'm not mistaken, that option on the PSP titled 'ad-hoc mode' isn't some sort of cake party.

Rayd
11th September 2005, 10:22 PM
yep i can assure you it works, ive tried it with my freinds PSP. works perfectly, just make sure WLAN is on (on the PSP) and the firmware on the PSP is 2.0

dingl
11th September 2005, 10:23 PM
You will have to turn the card into "Infranstructure Mode" for the PSP to be able to connect and the PSP needs to be set in the same mode otherwise it won't work.

dingl
11th September 2005, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Quamen@Sep 11 2005, 09:53 PM
It needs to be in infrastructure mode which will require a real router. At least that is my understanding of how it all works. And I havn't been able to connect my psp to my laptop directly.
No it will work with wireless network cards as well - it just depends on if it will support it or not. I know my Linksys card does.

Quamen
12th September 2005, 09:37 PM
Looks like I am going to have to go and play some more then :)

danno74
16th September 2005, 09:54 PM
Okay, update to confirm - just got the PSP today, and with a bit of fiddling around, got it to run the web from my Mac Mini.

All I had to do was ensure web sharing was on and the firewall was off - then the PSP had no problem finding the Mini and connecting via infrastructure mode.

Works quite well, although fairly slow - I'm guessing because of the slower speeds of the 802.11b connection speed between the PSP and the Mini, but nethertheless, loving it - and the screen on this PSP is absolutely beautiful. The web looks great on it.

:)

downsys
16th September 2005, 10:13 PM
sure the screen is nice, but wouldn't typing be a pain?

danno74
16th September 2005, 10:52 PM
Indeed, typing is a royal pain in the preverbial, but it's just cool to be able to surf the web with it. What makes it less painful is that you can save bookmarks - very handy.

mac_man_luke
17th September 2005, 12:21 AM
If it had a touch screen it would be perfect!!