PDA

View Full Version : Installed Program, Now Won't Boot!

queraxus
11th September 2005, 01:18 PM
I'm in a bit of a crisis at the moment.

I installed GrowlMail, a script that gives a Growl notification when new mail comes in on Apple Mail. The minute the installation finished, the computer slowed down to a very slow pace, and all windows and programs were 'hanging'. I thoght mabe a restart would help.

The restart, which normally takes only a few seconds, took over a minute, and then the computer won't complete the boot-up process. It comes to the white screen with the apple logo, and stays that way. The processor fans whirr up to a speed not seen by me before.

Any suggestions on how to boot up? If I can do that, at least I can attempt to remove the growl script that seems to be the source of all my problems. I have most of my stuff backed up, but not all, and i'd hate to lose any of it.

In case it matters:
Powermac G5, dual 2.5GHz, 2.5gb ram, 10.4.2

g4cube
11th September 2005, 05:24 PM
You could try to boot in safe mode that is on the startup hold down the SHIFT key.
Macintosh Safe Boot

Starting with Mac OS 10.2 it is possible to start a Macintosh in Safe mode. Hold down the Shift key during startup to force the computer to start in safe mode. Staring in safe mode does the following things:
It forces a directory check of the startup volume.
It loads only required kernel extensions (some of the items in /System/Library/Extensions).
It runs only Apple-installed startup items (some of the items in /Library/StartupItems and /System/Library/StartupItems - and different than login items).
Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger only: It disables all fonts other than those in /System/Library/Fonts .
Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger only: It moves to the Trash all font caches normally stored in /Library/Caches/com.apple.ATS/(uid)/ , where (uid) is a user ID number such as 501.
Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger only: It disables any Login Items.
Safe Mode can be useful for troubleshooting. However, certain Mac OS X features do not work when you are started up in Safe Mode. For example, you can't use DVD Player, capture video in iMovie, use an AirPort card, use some audio input or output devices, or use an internal or external USB modem.
NOTE: There have been some reports of kernel panics occuring during startup which seem to be related to bad font cache files. Doing a safe boot and then restarting the computer will move the bad font cache files into the trash and possibly fix the problem.

queraxus
11th September 2005, 06:44 PM
Safe mode doesn't boot either.

I'm getting very concerned ...

gelfie
11th September 2005, 07:05 PM
Ok, the computer slowing to a crawl at the beginning of all this sounds like you had a memory leak. Some process ate up all your physical ram then moved on to virtual memory on the harddisk (this is where things got so slow even changing windows could have taken minutes.)

The restart taking longer than a few seconds was probably the operating system cleaning up many gigabytes of virtual memory files as a result of the memory leak.

And finally, taking a long time on the Apple Logo screen at boot, is probably because the machine was running a file-system check (fsck) and/or repairing any damage done from the previous reboot.

My advice would be to leave it for a good period of time at this screen. Maybe 10 minutes or so and see if it sorts itself out. If it is just doing file-system stuff then it will reboot itself after a short while and go to the login screen or your user account, depending on how you have your mac set up.

aleks
11th September 2005, 07:08 PM
Sounds like your box died...

queraxus
11th September 2005, 07:11 PM
I will try that. When I leave it for more than a minute, the fans go nuts.

queraxus
11th September 2005, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by aleks@Sep 11 2005, 07:08 PM
Sounds like your box died...
How could this kill my machine?

feeze
11th September 2005, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by queraxus@Sep 11 2005, 07:25 PM
How could this kill my machine?
I don't think it would, if your machine is dead it would be a big coincidence.

Have you tried checking the Growl forum, http://forums.cocoaforge.com/viewforum.php?f=6.

Try the above suggestions. Also check out the Apple support forums (I would onclude an hyperlink but I am unable to access the Apple web site, this has been happeing alot recently)

If all else fails you can always try an archive and install :)

Edit: Also grab your Mac OS X disks, there should be an hardware test CD. Insert that and press and hold ''C' during boot. It might be worth booting with your install disks and the going to file-> disk utility and doing some diagnostic tests there as well.

queraxus
11th September 2005, 07:54 PM
How do I open the drive?

feeze
11th September 2005, 08:06 PM
Oh crap you're on a Power Mac G5. Having never used one I am not sure if there is a little hole which you can stick a pin into to force it to open, maybe someone else can answer that.

I know on my iBook, if I press the eject key when booting up it will force the CD to eject out of the slot drive. Maybe if you do the same thing on a powermac and force the CD tray to open.

gelfie
11th September 2005, 08:34 PM
The fans go nuts because the software that controls them has not been loaded at this point in the boot process. So they default to going full speed. When the machine gets further along in booting, the controller software will slow them down again.