PDA

View Full Version : Fibre to the home trial Point Cook

aussiedeano
27th May 2010, 12:05 PM
Hey guys!

We are getting the trial here in Pt Cook, and i am in the trial area. I'm now with Internode and have been for a while. Their plans seem ok, nothing spectacular, but fibre would be cool.

What I was wondering, they say I need to set up an Airport Extreme to run it. Obviously my Belkin N Wireless Router isn't good enough (or is it?), but I do have a refurb'd Airport Express. Could I just use that, r is there a requirement to have a new super duper wireless router? I'll give them a call to find out, but thought I'd ask here!

Cheers!

Dean

decryption
27th May 2010, 12:07 PM
I don't see why you need an AirPort? All you'll have is an ethernet socket in your house that you plug your router in to - any router will do.

mac_man_luke
27th May 2010, 12:09 PM
Airport Extreme is one of the only off the shelf routers internode tests managed to get full speed (eg most ethernet routers are slower than fibre)

aussiedeano
27th May 2010, 12:15 PM
Just talking to them now, mac_man_luke is right, it's the fastest they've found. And Decryption you are also right, any ethernet router will do. He's just checking to see if the Airport Express will be good enough. If not, off to buy an ethernet router....anyone recommend a decent one, besides Apple?

Phillo
27th May 2010, 03:04 PM
anyone recommend a decent one, besides Apple?

A lot of it comes down to the type of usage you have for the unit.

How many devices do you have?

What wireless/ethernet speeds do they run at?

What will you be doing with the wireless?? (ie: just interwebs or will you be doing file sharing between the devices on the network)

AND... how much do you want to spend?

aussiedeano
28th May 2010, 04:16 PM
A lot of it comes down to the type of usage you have for the unit.

How many devices do you have?

2 laptops and 2 iPhones.

What wireless/ethernet speeds do they run at?

Seem pretty fast...

What will you be doing with the wireless?? (ie: just interwebs or will you be doing file sharing between the devices on the network)

Just interwebs at this time...

AND... how much do you want to spend?

Well, I'll spend as much as it takes to make it work properly I guess...

Do all Airport Extreme that are 802.11n capable of fast internet downloads? I read somewhere they older models might be slow. Not sure if that is true or not, but I don't want to buy one and have it not give me fast speeds....