PDA

View Full Version : Usb Cards For A Powermac

decryption
11th September 2005, 12:58 PM
Just wanting to put a USB 2.0 card into a friends PowerMac G4 and I'm wondering if there are any specific chipsets that work best. Most seem to be VIA or NEC, is there a preference for using in a Macintosh that will give the least hassles? :)

Rayd
11th September 2005, 01:01 PM
ive tried both, and i found that when i was using a VIA chipset 4 + 1 USB 2.0 card in my powermac, only 1 port worked, i replaced it with a NEC chipset usb 2.0 4 + 1 port one, and all of them work now :D so i think go with the NEC chipset. :D

EDIT: i paid $15 for mine from the asian store down the road :)

stickman67
11th September 2005, 01:03 PM
About a year ago I bought a four-port USB 2.0 card from Streetwise (www.streetwise.com.au) for $59.95 (simply called "USB 2.0 PCI Adapter Card". It's been working really well for me, and was still available at their website recently (I noticed it while shopping for something else).

And no, I do not work for, or have a relative at or an affiliation with, Streetwise! :P

philwhiteman
16th September 2005, 01:46 PM
A mac guru advised me that NEC chipped USB cards work best. I haven't tried them though.

Cheers,
Phil

step_andy
16th September 2005, 02:18 PM
Be careful with generic cards as they might not support deep sleep in Macs.

According to xlr8yourmac.com, Sonnet Allegro and some Adaptec ones are OK.

andy

mac_man_luke
16th September 2005, 03:21 PM
Iv got a Swann one and its great, i think its an NEC chipset

Byrd
16th September 2005, 04:02 PM
Any USB 2.0 card that states that it is "OHCI Compliant" will work straight out of the box under OS X, if you get a branded card you'll likely not have deep sleep problems using the card.

Picked up a Mac-destined Orange+ USB2/FW combo card for $2 at the AUSOM swap meet recently :D

JB