PDA

View Full Version : Strangest thing you've ever seen?

Byrd
27th May 2010, 09:30 AM
What's the strangest thing you have seen in your life - something completely out of place, spooky, plain weird? (and no this is not inappropriate Wednesday!) :)

I was driving down a hill in Warrigal Rd in Melbourne - cruising alongside a ute with a large four-wheeled trailer, with no other cars in sight. The ute pulled ahead of me a little and my eyes nearly fell out when a wheel just came off the axis of the trailer.

The wheel just smoothly careened off, running alongside the truck at the same speed, with the trailer's stance on the road unaffected and the driver completely unaware of what had just happened. I tooted and flashed my lights but it's not exactly something that you could stop or understand. The loose wheel slowed it's momentum behind the ute slightly, as the road changed angle, still spinning smooth as silk.

And then - I cringed as I watched an elderly couple taking a leisurely morning stroll - the wheel heading straight for them at high speed! Me still tooting, at the last second they jumped out of the way like a couple of bowling skittles. The driver finally realised what had occured and stopped. This all happened in slow motion.

Share! :)

bartron
27th May 2010, 09:56 AM
This one is in the realms of normality:

When I was working in St Leonards in Sydney, I was walking back from lunch in Crows Nest with a workmate when the crossing lights changed. Several cars pulled up and at the front was a rather expensive looking Merc. As we waited for the lights to change, a large truck turned from the Pacific highway into one of the side streets.
Instantly we could see what was going to happen as he didn't turn wide enough and as the rear wheels of the trailer got closer to the front of the Merc, the driver started frantically looking for a way out of the situation....then, in slow motion, the wheels of the truck mounted the front of the car as the passenger and driver jumped out.

This one isn't normal:

A friend and I were having a chat one evening and as we were up on a hill, we had a view over the valley to the hills in the distance. We saw what we assumed was an air plane as it was moving slowly (as slow as a pane in the distance anyway) with its landing lights on and about an outreached hand span above the height of the distant hills. Then in a split second the "plane" dropped behind the hills...straight down. My mate and I looked at each other, both with a WTF look on our faces.

gehenna
27th May 2010, 10:02 AM
The first time I saw Blanket Man in Wellington I thought it was very very strange! Since then I saw him nearly every day I lived there and realised he's pretty much an instution. Even weirder is seeing him rock out on his iPod! He even has his own Wiki page

http://img.skitch.com/20100527-c49c71mfuq64xtddr2k7g6uu1c.jpg

Ben Hana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Hana)

NORMANDY
27th May 2010, 11:34 AM
This one is in the realms of normality:

This one isn't normal:

A friend and I were having a chat one evening and as we were up on a hill, we had a view over the valley to the hills in the distance. We saw what we assumed was an air plane as it was moving slowly (as slow as a pane in the distance anyway) with its landing lights on and about an outreached hand span above the height of the distant hills. Then in a split second the "plane" dropped behind the hills...straight down. My mate and I looked at each other, both with a WTF look on our faces.

that would be a helicopter :o

kyncaid
27th May 2010, 11:53 AM
Might be the Ghost or the UFO's

hendot
27th May 2010, 12:03 PM
...or the bongs

bartron
27th May 2010, 12:47 PM
that would be a helicopter :o

Aircraft (of any type) don't drop from 2-3000ft to ground level in less than a second....even in freefall.

I'm sure there is a valid explanation for it...it's just registered the same WTF response in two separate people and qualifies for "strangest thing you've ever seen".

Silver-Arrowz
27th May 2010, 12:49 PM
Walking a cross Pyrmont bridge on a winters morning, I saw a guy and girl run up 1/2 way across the bridge, strip naked (I mean private parts showing and all) and jumped off the bridge.

MisterFnord
27th May 2010, 01:36 PM
Slightly NSFW and more suitable for Inappropriate Wednesday...

Driving home late one night, and stopping at the lights, there's a chick sitting on the side on the footpath, back facing to the road, skirt hitched up and taking a dump. Delightful.

NORMANDY
27th May 2010, 01:45 PM
Aircraft (of any type) don't drop from 2-3000ft to ground level in less than a second....even in freefall.

I'm sure there is a valid explanation for it...it's just registered the same WTF response in two separate people and qualifies for "strangest thing you've ever seen".

I am sure it wasn't that high, in any case it wasn't little green men, IT was the simplest explanation. I have seen many an optical illusion with aircraft at night, and this would be another case of one.