PDA

View Full Version : Accessing server names on local Windows Server network?

Kendo
26th May 2010, 06:12 PM
Hey guys,

At the school I work at, they're running Server 2008, and there are a few server hostnames for different intranet webpages, and I can't access them. One for example is "ilearn" that you can type into the browser to go to the CMS learning site on the intranet. It works in Windows, but my Mac takes me to the stupid default Netbox Blue page to basically say it can't resolve it. Same with ilearn.schooladdress.qld.edu.au.

I read somewhere that I could edit my etc/hosts file to include the IP address of the machine hosting these websites: would this work? What is the best way around this sort of thing?

Thanks! I hate firing up remote desktop just to access these tools.

glacierdave
26th May 2010, 06:42 PM
I'm seeing something like this on my network and was wondering if you'd mind doing a couple of tests and reporting the results.

If yes, run up a terminal window (Apps/utilities) and type this:

ping nameofserver

What result did you get?

Next, this:

smbutil lookup nameofserver

...and, again, what result did you get?

For nameofserver replace this with the actual name of the server 2008 box.

For me at least, there appears to be something not quite right in a setup that should otherwise work. The ping test above doesn't get a result but the smbutil lookup does.

If you (or anyone else reading this) has seen this and knows of a resolution I'd love to hear about it. I've logged a support case with Apple who didn't come up with anything.

snark
26th May 2010, 07:01 PM
...One for example is "ilearn" that you can type into the browser to go to the CMS learning site on the intranet. It works in Windows, but my Mac takes me to the stupid default Netbox Blue page to basically say it can't resolve it. Same with ilearn.schooladdress.qld.edu.au.

I wonder if these names are published correctly in DNS. Ask your network admins. Maybe they're not, and the windows PCs are using some other process (WINS ??) to resolve them.

Or maybe you are not using the same DNS server as the windows PCs.

Just a few ideas.

Kendo
26th May 2010, 07:01 PM
I'm seeing something like this on my network and was wondering if you'd mind doing a couple of tests and reporting the results.

If yes, run up a terminal window (Apps/utilities) and type this:

ping nameofserver

What result did you get?

Next, this:

smbutil lookup nameofserver

...and, again, what result did you get?

For nameofserver replace this with the actual name of the server 2008 box.

For me at least, there appears to be something not quite right in a setup that should otherwise work. The ping test above doesn't get a result but the smbutil lookup does.

If you (or anyone else reading this) has seen this and knows of a resolution I'd love to hear about it. I've logged a support case with Apple who didn't come up with anything.

Okay, I'll try that tomorrow and let ya know :)

gehenna
26th May 2010, 07:12 PM
It's likely your Mac isn't using the same DNS server, as it's likely not joined to the domain. They may in fact have completely separate routing for non-domain computers that bypasses their network and just sends you to the internet. In which case you're a bit out of luck until your Mac is put on the domain - though that may be against their policy.

snark
26th May 2010, 08:50 PM
Even without joining the domain, it should be pretty easy to add the domain's DNS server(s) to your network settings.

glacierdave
27th May 2010, 08:04 AM
FWIW, this is what I get on the above commands:

Mac:~ me$ ping server
ping: cannot resolve server: Unknown host

Mac:~ me$ smbutil lookup server
Got response from 192.168.16.112
IP address of server: 192.168.16.112

Mac:~ me$ ping 192.168.16.112
PING 192.168.16.112 (192.168.16.112): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 192.168.16.112: icmp_seq=0 ttl=128 time=1.210 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.16.112: icmp_seq=1 ttl=128 time=1.585 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.16.112: icmp_seq=2 ttl=128 time=18.107 ms
^C
--- 192.168.16.112 ping statistics ---
3 packets transmitted, 3 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 1.210/6.967/18.107/7.878 ms

For whatever reason, it doesn't quite get all the way - but because SMBUTIL can find the server I have no trouble accessing network shares. I'm trying to avoid hard-coding at a hosts level as this doesn't help if an IP address changes for some reason.

~Coxy
27th May 2010, 10:32 AM
In your case, the server does not have a DNS entry. Without getting someone to add it to one of your DNS servers there's no other option apart from the manual host file change.