PDA

View Full Version : Preview: Consume for iPad

marc
24th May 2010, 11:50 AM
http://bjango.com/images/ipad/consume/consume-tease-angle.jpg

Some more info and images here:
Consume, an iPad app by Bjango (http://bjango.com/ipad/consume/)

NathR32
24th May 2010, 11:52 AM
Looks awesome Marc. Can't wait to use this with my next iPhone.
Also are you ever going to add support for Dodo internet?

pyrite
24th May 2010, 11:56 AM
Oh frick, yes. Love this app, iPad ver looks gorgeous :) Rapidly turning into a bjango fanboy...

mitty
24th May 2010, 11:56 AM
Awesome :) Consume has been getting a lot of use on my iphone checking for shipment status :)

marc
24th May 2010, 11:58 AM
Looks awesome Marc. Can't wait to use this with my next iPhone.
Also are you ever going to add support for Dodo internet?

Please have a look under Australia > Broadband > Dodo in the current version of Consume for iPhone (so yep, supported on Consume for iPhone and Consume for iPad).

:)

carlow1
24th May 2010, 11:59 AM
Great work Marc. Consume is one of my favourite apps, love it.

When can we expect to see the iPad version released?

tcn33
24th May 2010, 12:01 PM
Sweeeeeet. Been waiting for this one :)

marc
24th May 2010, 12:16 PM
When can we expect to see the iPad version released?

Quite soon. We don't have a date in mind yet, but we're working as fast as we can.

Balthazar
24th May 2010, 12:19 PM
You guys are scary Marc....

scary talented.

gameon
24th May 2010, 02:38 PM
looks awesome marc

GeoffP
24th May 2010, 08:03 PM
I will definitely be buying this for my iPad.

Consume for iPhone is fantastic.

Apoptosis
24th May 2010, 08:33 PM
I will definitely be buying this for my iPad.

Consume for iPhone is fantastic.

+1.

Looks sexy.

vecsty
24th May 2010, 09:20 PM
The reason your going to WWDC this year, does it have anything to do with the Design Awards ?

marc
25th May 2010, 12:49 PM
Thank you everyone :) Hopefully the app meets everyone's expectations.

The reason your going to WWDC this year, does it have anything to do with the Design Awards ?

I wish! I'm not sure if Apple notify winners in advance, but I think our chances of winning an ADA this year are slim. There's so many good iPhone and iPad apps on the store.

kerr
25th May 2010, 01:20 PM
Will it work in portrait mode?

marc
25th May 2010, 01:54 PM

Yep.

Balthazar
25th May 2010, 04:02 PM
Thank you everyone :) Hopefully the app meets everyone's expectations.

I wish! I'm not sure if Apple notify winners in advance, but I think our chances of winning an ADA this year are slim. There's so many good iPhone and iPad apps on the store.

Who votes?

If it's up to the public i propose a MacTalk campaign to get Bjango the gong!

vecsty
25th May 2010, 08:38 PM
Who votes?

If it's up to the public i propose a MacTalk campaign to get Bjango the gong!

Apple only.

vecsty
25th May 2010, 08:40 PM

At one WWDC, it may have been 2003 or 2004, someone won and no one came up to get the award.

marc
30th May 2010, 12:39 PM
Consume's new icon and a small preview of the welcome screen.

http://homepage.mac.com/marcedwards/bjango/consumeicon-dribble.png

http://homepage.mac.com/marcedwards/bjango/consumewelcome-dribble.png

More: Dribbble - Bjango / Marc Edwards (http://dribbble.com/players/bjango)

MrJesseRoss
30th May 2010, 12:55 PM
I love the new icon. A lot more pro looking than the cake.

vecsty
30th May 2010, 04:57 PM
Any reason why this is not a Universal app ?

matthew858
30th May 2010, 05:02 PM
Any reason why this is not a Universal app ?

You have no idea how much effort needs to go into a universal app. You have to combine the code (leading to endless 'if' statements), code for 4 different screen sizes, and you put so much effort into the iPad version yet no extra profit is earned.

wolfie
30th May 2010, 05:12 PM
You say no extra profit gained, I disagree, it depends on the app and the competition.

I see users going down the road of preferring to buy universal apps for ease of use and management, and less app software.
It may not be the best, but if jts universal I say most will sacrifice that little bit of quality to get it.

I've done it myself many times over, I've bought apps over the competition just for the reasons outlined, and it had nothing to do with cost.

Let's see, iquota is universal, now I got quota and I got consume, I will have no hesitation in getting consume and pay for a ipad version, if it's worth it, but if isn't up to scratch, I'll delete the iPhone version of consume and just use quota on both devices.

In my opinion your betting off raising the price of consume up, and make it universal.

Zanorath
30th May 2010, 05:49 PM
I was just wondering if there was any new info about the release date and what sort or price we are looking at.

marc
30th May 2010, 07:41 PM
matthew858 is right. For apps as large as Consume that have wildly different iPhone and iPad versions. It's more than just the UI... although, "just" the UI is probably half the code on a modern app.

For a really basic app or something that uses giant lists, expanding some of the views for the iPad version isn't hard, but you end up with something that's very average, which isn't what we're aiming for :)

I see users going down the road of preferring to buy universal apps for ease of use and management, and less app software.

I completely agree, but the minor inconvenience of having two copies of an app in iTunes is outweighed by the other benefits, IMO.

It may not be the best, but if jts universal I say most will sacrifice that little bit of quality to get it.

We're talking about massive amounts of work, resulting in much harder to manage code and larger apps. It could easily end up with a bloaty app, which isn't good for anyone.

I definitely hear you, but I think you're going to find that universal apps are the exception, not the norm.

In my opinion your betting off raising the price of consume up, and make it universal.

That'd punish the users who only use the iPhone version?

It's not an easy problem to solve.

I was just wondering if there was any new info about the release date and what sort or price we are looking at.

Nothing new to announce just yet. We'll keep everyone on MacTalk up to date with new info though.

Lutze
30th May 2010, 10:26 PM
I personally believe that by not going with a universal model you may hurt future sales for Bjango apps.

I think that a move like this may hurt your brand value. :(

I understand there are development costs, I just don't know if I think it's worth the cost.

marc
30th May 2010, 11:04 PM
I personally believe that by not going with a universal model you may hurt future sales for Bjango apps.

I'll be honestly very surprised if most good devs end up building universal apps. Here's how I see it.

Universal app pros:
- One (larger) download (who cares?).
- One app in iTunes.
- One price to buy the app for both iPhone and iPad.

Universal app cons:
- More complex for the developer, making apps with vastly different iPad and iPhone UIs hard to manage.
- Certain things simply aren't possible, like having in-app purchase to unlock iPad version. I highly doubt Apple would approve a universal app that has an iPad UI that doesn't work unless you in-app purchase unlock it.
- Bloatier apps. Think about it, your universal app will have the resources for both the iPhone and iPad version on your iPhone, taking up space.
- One price to buy the app for both iPhone and iPad, meaning users who only want one have to pay the higher price for both, assuming you've priced higher to cover both version. And in pricing higher, you'll hurt your chance to compete with other non-universal apps.

So the main benefit is just a clean app listing in iTunes?

Universal = bag of hurt, most of the time.

Every developer I've spoken to has the same point of view.

gameon
30th May 2010, 11:53 PM
I'd prefer if there were no universal apps at all, make it properly and separately for each device thanks, if I want it on both and it's worth it I'll pay the money.

Have consume on my iPhone and will definitely be purchasing for the iPad, it's a new app on a better device... Why should I be getting it for free?

iTy
31st May 2010, 07:30 AM
I'd prefer if there were no universal apps at all, make it properly and separately for each device thanks, if I want it on both and it's worth it I'll pay the money.

Have consume on my iPhone and will definitely be purchasing for the iPad, it's a new app on a better device... Why should I be getting it for free?

Amen to that bro!

As long as you can arrange them on iTunes as such, then that is how it should be.

Dont really like any of the iPhone apps on the iPad.

They are, after all, two different devices.

semaja2
31st May 2010, 11:54 PM
I wish the Universal Apps were just 2 apps compiled into 1, when they get synced to a device they split etc, because i really think its stupid having to pay to use the same app on the iPad (more relating to the HD apps that add NO functionality!)

I also agree on the App list issue, for example the iPad doesnt have a option to only sync iPad apps, took me a hour to open each app to see if it would work or not

PS. total awesome design guys!

insular
1st June 2010, 12:40 AM
At one WWDC, it may have been 2003 or 2004, someone won and no one came up to get the award.

because Apple don't pay for your flights to attend (not sure about the WWDC ticket). not everyone would want to bother going to WWDC just to pickup an award, and they do ship it to you anyway.

correct me if im wrong though

marc
3rd June 2010, 08:43 PM

Please see below :)

http://bjango.com/images/apps/consumeipad/consume-ipad-tease-3.jpg

ruegen
3rd June 2010, 09:12 PM
Beautiful, whatever you do Marc please don’t call the iPad version Consume HD :p

Soliah
3rd June 2010, 10:25 PM
Can't believe it's gonna be free on launch. I'd gladly pay :)

Apoptosis
3rd June 2010, 11:04 PM
Can't believe it's gonna be free on launch. I'd gladly pay :)

Where's that been said? I've not seen it anywhere... Will be happy if it's true, though :P

ruegen
3rd June 2010, 11:23 PM
Where's that been said? I've not seen it anywhere... Will be happy if it's true, though :P

I'd be happy to pay if it supports bjango but if it has iAds instead then that gives them ongoing support?

Thrymr
3rd June 2010, 11:31 PM

It was announced via Twitter (http://twitter.com/bjango/status/15318048230).

gamblor
4th June 2010, 10:45 PM
From the sounds of it, Apple needs a better "developer-oriented" method of handling iPad and iPhone apps.

I'm just playing with the SDK, haven't actually done anything worth showing, but marc, out of curiosity, would it work better if "universal" apps featured two Products as part of the same XCode project - like ConsumeIPhone.app and ConsumeIPad.app. That way, some files could be shared (like delegate's) and others could be kept separate (like GUI code).

Then, when uploading, you could specify the two different apps. Buying the iPhone version would cost $2, the iPad version $5 and perhaps a bundle for $6. It would technically be two separate apps, but they would be "connected" and share the same config data.

This would also enable settings to be transferred/synced.

These are just random thoughts!

ruegen
4th June 2010, 10:57 PM
From the sounds of it, Apple needs a better "developer-oriented" method of handling iPad and iPhone apps.

I'm just playing with the SDK, haven't actually done anything worth showing, but marc, out of curiosity, would it work better if "universal" apps featured two Products as part of the same XCode project - like ConsumeIPhone.app and ConsumeIPad.app. That way, some files could be shared (like delegate's) and others could be kept separate (like GUI code).

Then, when uploading, you could specify the two different apps. Buying the iPhone version would cost $2, the iPad version $5 and perhaps a bundle for $6. It would technically be two separate apps, but they would be "connected" and share the same config data.

This would also enable settings to be transferred/synced.

These are just random thoughts!

Bundled app products is a fairly valid idea that could only improve the app store by making it more flexible for downloading a product such as this, although sharing config data may be difficult as there are different devices and they would need to sync to a cloud. Maybe email Apple?

marc
5th June 2010, 11:23 AM
gamblor: We do have some code sharing (much easier to keep things clean and both apps up to date). Apart from being messier to manage a universal app with 2 completely different UIs, the app's file size would be dramatically bigger, as most of the size comes from the images (which are almost completely different).

This means your 16GB iPhone would have to give up a bit more space for the iPad images you never use.

Unfortunately, we can't sell bundles like that either. Would be nice, but requires some help from Apple. It's just a feature the App Store doesn't have right now.

Data sharing would be great in theory too, but there's no tools I'm aware of to do that, apart from rolling your own.

iTrooper
16th June 2010, 01:44 PM
What's the ETA of this here fine app?

marc
16th June 2010, 02:04 PM
What's the ETA of this here fine app?

No ETA, but we've decided to spend a little longer ensuring version 1.0 is a highly polished app. We've decided that everything we do from now on will meet an even higher standard.

Soon though.

Balthazar
16th June 2010, 02:48 PM
Hi Marc...

dont want to highjack the thread but what other iPad app's does Bjango have in planning/production?

Im really looking hard for a note taking/text editing app that syncs to Google Doc's... any plans?

Lyon
17th June 2010, 11:53 AM
Wow just found out about this today! *drooling* and the fact that it's free for the launch hypes me even more

Devil rolla
25th June 2010, 10:19 AM
Any news on Consume for iPad ?

Lyon
25th June 2010, 10:25 AM
I guess it's still "sometime soon" :)

Phunky
1st July 2010, 02:07 PM
Will it be better than Quota which is out now? Looking for a usage app, not sure if I should buy now or wait. Like what will Consume do that Quota wont?

ruegen
2nd July 2010, 12:15 AM
Will it be better than Quota which is out now? Looking for a usage app, not sure if I should buy now or wait. Like what will Consume do that Quota wont?

Wait for consume. Its design and functionality is better than anything else I have tried.

Marc & his team put a fair amount of love and effort into their products and it shows.

marc
2nd July 2010, 11:48 AM
Thanks ruegen.

Consume 1.7 for iPhone was submitted a couple of days ago. That's important, because it updates a lot in preparation for Consume for iPad. We're so, so close. :)

Lyon
2nd July 2010, 11:55 AM
We're so, so close.
Stop teasing us :D but yeah, it looks really sleek from the screenshots. Can't wait!

henryzhao
19th July 2010, 11:15 AM
You've been saying soon for over two months now...
Please give an ETA! I can't wait for the release...

pyrite
19th July 2010, 11:16 AM
Keep your pants on dude. Quality software takes time. You can always install the iPhone version for now

The Fluffy Duck
16th August 2010, 01:35 AM
How long now?

The Fluffy Duck
26th August 2010, 09:09 AM
Bump!

Devil rolla
26th August 2010, 09:11 AM
double bump..

Balthazar
26th August 2010, 12:51 PM
Triple .... nah just joking, Did want to say congrats to bjango on getting the featured app of the week for consume for the iphone, well dont guys, how has that affected downloads?

marc
27th August 2010, 01:36 AM
Sorry for the delay in releasing Consume for iPad.

The main holdup has been Consume 1.8 for iPhone. We've almost finished that though, so we'll get back onto the iPad version.

Triple .... nah just joking, Did want to say congrats to bjango on getting the featured app of the week for consume for the iphone, well dont guys, how has that affected downloads?

Thanks. As you'd expect, being featured like that puts a rocket in the downloads. It's been a good week.

Balthazar
27th August 2010, 08:25 AM
Sorry for the delay in releasing Consume for iPad.

The main holdup has been Consume 1.8 for iPhone. We've almost finished that though, so we'll get back onto the iPad version.

Thanks. As you'd expect, being featured like that puts a rocket in the downloads. It's been a good week.

You should be selling iAds in it!

The Fluffy Duck
30th August 2010, 11:09 AM
You should be selling iAds in it!

Do NOT give them ideas! I hate ads

marc
3rd September 2010, 06:11 PM
I hate ads
+1

There won't be ads in any of our apps. I'd much rather those who want an app to pay for it, and then never see an ad.

The Fluffy Duck
4th September 2010, 05:52 PM
Awesome. I hate paying for somehting and seein ads.

The Fluffy Duck
25th October 2010, 04:11 PM
Soooooo hows it coming along?

Devil rolla
25th October 2010, 04:52 PM
+1,000,000

wolfie
25th October 2010, 05:51 PM
why such a delay?

The Fluffy Duck
15th November 2010, 10:47 PM
Have you guys hiring the development team behind duke nukem forever by any chance?

wolfie
15th November 2010, 10:54 PM
Am i the only one thinking this app is taking the piss in development?
I understand time is needed for good apps, but it's
6 months since Australian launch?

Lutze
15th November 2010, 11:00 PM
Am i the only one thinking this app is taking the piss in development?
I understand time is needed for good apps, but it's
6 months since Australian launch?

It must be *so* frustrating waiting for something that you've paid so much for.

Bjango have had other apps to deal with. They don't owe you, me or anyone anything.

So how about stfu?

mattydee
16th November 2010, 12:05 AM
It must be *so* frustrating waiting for something that you've paid so much for.

Bjango have had other apps to deal with. They don't owe you, me or anyone anything.

So how about stfu?

if there was a retweet button it would have been pressed.

so many people are giving them grief over it, but you summed it up beautifully, YOU HAVNT EVEN PAID FOR IT.

wolfie
16th November 2010, 07:42 AM
Why don't you shut the fuck up tosser.
I never claimed I paid for it or they owe me anything.
I'm a customer who appreciates the work they do, and do understand that time is required for good apps.
I tell you where the problem is.
Lack of communication from the developers.
If there is hardly none about the progress of it, people are going to start thinking it's a bit of a slack progress.
This is a highly anticipated app, and the bottom line is people want it.
Keep people informed and there wont be a problem.
Fuck me.

opilot87
16th November 2010, 01:21 PM
I never claimed they owe me anything.

...Lack of communication ...
...thinking it's a bit of a slack progress...
...Keep people informed...
...Fuck me...

Maybe you never claimed that they owe you anything, but you sure do seem to expect it

tom5955
16th November 2010, 01:24 PM
I know Bjango are also working on what they have described as a large project, so thats probably the reason the Consume has been pushed back a bit.

fother
16th November 2010, 01:32 PM
Unrelatedly, www.entitletards.com is down.

Phunky
16th November 2010, 02:11 PM
Maybe you never claimed that they owe you anything, but you sure do seem to expect it

His expectations are perfectly reasonable. Communication with past customers will make them future customers rather than one offs, its a basic rule of relationship marketing. Its why businesses have mailing lists, etc

If you need a quota app for ipad, iQuota is a pretty good alternative which has been out for some time

Lutze
16th November 2010, 02:27 PM
His expectations are perfectly reasonable. Communication with past customers will make them future customers rather than one offs, its a basic rule of relationship marketing. Its why businesses have mailing lists, etc

If you need a quota app for ipad, iQuota is a pretty good alternative which has been out for some time

Consume does the job perfectly well. Sure it's not an iPad app, yet, but it works perfectly well - I'm happy getting my $ worth out of it.

marc
16th November 2010, 02:30 PM
Lack of communication from the developers.

What would you like to know? I'm not sure what else we can communicate beyond "it's being worked on". We'll definitely let everyone know as soon as we have something to announce. Believe me when I say that we want Consume for iPad released and for it to be awesome just as much as anyone else does :)

wolfie
16th November 2010, 05:27 PM
Marc, take a look at the name of this thread.
Take a look at what the images posted are?

I'm not trying to be a prick except for the tossers posted prior, but what does this thread imply?

It implies it's a work in progress, and screenshots allure to it being closer to finish rather than just the beginning.

Now take a look when this thread was created.
Is it unreasonable for one to assume with what you have posted and allured to that we can expect it in a fairly reasonable timeframe?

I've held off buying quota because I prefer your app, but waiting without any idea when to expect it is rather frustrating.
You do this.You tell ppl who are interested in this app roughly how much longer it will be and then they can then decide to wait or buy an app that's your competitor.
Now you might be reluctant to give a timeframe as people will say what u said by gospel but as a developer I don't think it's far fetched when u have a rough idea when it's finished, and communicate that it's a bit wishwashy clearly to
your customers. It sure beats leaving them in the dark wondering when the *** it's going to come out.
Take a look a handful of posts back, someone asked nearly a month ago the status of it, and no reply.
Just because no one else has posted dosent mean others aren't wondering.

Huy
16th November 2010, 05:37 PM
I'm wondering as well but I'm happy with the iPhone version for now as it does the job. :)

wolfie
16th November 2010, 05:39 PM
Unrelatedly, www.entitletards.com is down.

I wouldn't know, clearly you visit that site fairly often.

marc
16th November 2010, 09:33 PM
It implies it's a work in progress, and screenshots allure to it being closer to finish rather than just the beginning.

That's correct. It is very close in terms of the app functioning, but there's still a lot more to do, time wise.

Is it unreasonable for one to assume with what you have posted and allured to that we can expect it in a fairly reasonable timeframe?

We're a small (very small!) company, so any interruption can add a lot of time to projects. In Consume for iPad's case, the Consume for iPhone 4 Retina display support took a long time, plus we have other aspects of the app and other projects to manage.

Generally we don't pre-announce, but we did in this case. Maybe that was the wrong choice. I don't know. We still plan to release Consume for iPad, but it's not done until it's done.

I think we'll pre-announce less in the future. We don't want to create unrealistic expectations. That's probably the reason Apple doesn't tend to pre-announce either.

As it stands we have another project that's been in development for over 12 months and is a long way from being finished. The reality is that if you only ship when an app is at a certain standard, then you can't have fixed deadlines, especially if you have limited resources.

I've held off buying quota because I prefer your app, but waiting without any idea when to expect it is rather frustrating.

My recommendation would be to buy Quota.

Consume will be free at launch, so you win both ways—you get to use an app now and Consume later, for the price of one app.

Also, as Huy said, the iPhone app does run on the iPad, although it's not as nice.

Just because no one else has posted dosent mean others aren't wondering.

I'm sure they are, and for that we're grateful. Thanks for being interested in our app.

Apoptosis
16th November 2010, 09:42 PM
Geezus, Marc. What's this free malarky? :)

I'd happily pay $4.99 or whatever for either version of the app.

wolfie
16th November 2010, 09:56 PM
I agree, pricing is irrelevant, it's only a coffee or two, hardly going to break the bank.

To be fair, if apple previews something they do announce a rough timeframe that could even have the leeway of a whole weather season.
Lion for OSX was previewed recently, along with Mac app store, imagine the shit storm that would have happened if they showed teasers but gave zero idea when to expect it.

I would agree and say with how your workload has played out, it was a bad idea to pre announce it back in may.

Anyway, thanks for the reply.

marc
17th November 2010, 10:14 AM
To be fair, if apple previews something they do announce a rough timeframe that could even have the leeway of a whole weather season.

Ok, easy.

Coming this summer: The most magical, amazing, incredible usage app. Again.

*Summer = Australian Summer

macsyd
17th November 2010, 10:50 AM
+1 on paying for the app! I paid for the iPhone version (and bought for my significant other) way back when and the value for money has been incredible. Appreciate why you'd offer for free to get some momentum though.

On another point, I miss the slice of cake ;-)

kerr
23rd November 2010, 11:27 PM
Marc, would you say you have bitten off more than you can chew? While there are endless demands from us, the users, I imagine you would have your own fuzzy deadlines you would like to meet. Given the time it is taking to bring Consume for the iPad to market, and the delay in fixing bugs in Consume for iPhone, are you not in a position to put on another team member?

But I am confident you are working tirelessly, and most of us don't adequately appreciate that. I can imagine you get way more advice and correspondence than you need. I'm sure we all look forward to bjango's future updates.

MacTime
13th March 2011, 07:56 AM
Ok, easy.

Coming this summer: The most magical, amazing, incredible usage app. Again.

*Summer = Australian Summer

Or perhaps that was supposed to be US summer.

zappoo
28th March 2011, 07:00 AM
Hi Guys
I LOVE Consume.. but now i have an iPad and whilst Consume still works, the preview of iPad Consume looks incredible.

I read that it was going to be released in summer.. any news? ANy updates?

wolfie
28th March 2011, 05:55 PM
prolly be ready when ipad 3 comes around.

marc
28th March 2011, 09:51 PM
Sorry, no release just yet. We have a couple of big projects we really want to release before we finish Consume for iPad. We learnt a very important lesson—never announce until you're absolutely ready to release (watching Apple for years should have taught us this hundreds of times over). So the bad news is that Consume isn't ready yet, but the good news is that some other things we're working on are getting closer.

Lewie
17th October 2011, 04:50 PM
Any more news on this project Marc?

kerr
17th October 2011, 06:05 PM
There won't be a Consume for iPad.

There should be a Consume 2 for iPad, very soon I believe :)

Lewie
17th October 2011, 06:43 PM
Ohhh I like what you did there ;)

The Fluffy Duck
20th October 2011, 06:54 PM
vapour ware?

DeanCorp
20th October 2011, 08:06 PM
I still can't believe this is not out, what a joke!

Stez
20th October 2011, 08:33 PM
This is taking a while, lol.

kerr
20th October 2011, 09:45 PM
I'm banking on an early 2013 release.

Stez
20th October 2011, 09:56 PM
It must be coming with the PowerBook G5.

Steeley
20th October 2011, 10:40 PM
Geez, guys. They've got more important things to release like apps that tell you the phase of the moon or the beats per minute. Have some perspective!

wolfie
20th October 2011, 10:53 PM
I'm banking on an early 2013 release.

Now that's a overly optimistic post!

I say 2015, and on sale to coincide with iPad 6

kerr
21st October 2011, 12:02 AM
This is not meant to be a Marc bashing post. I have enormous respect for Marc and know that he is a fellow of many talents, but as he admits 'We made the mistake of letting everyone know about the iPad version too early'. And that he did. This is just a history so we're all brought up to speed.

So, I've been reading back through the Consume for iPhone thread on another site, interspersed with questions about an iPad release.

January 27, 2010 - Apple announces the iPad.
April 3, 2010 - Wi-Fi iPad 1 goes on sale in the US.
May 5, 2010 - Quota for iPad released
May 2010 - 'Flat out' with Consume for iPad. Preview (http://bjango.com/ipad/consume/) released. 'Not long now.'
June 2010 - 'Free at launch.'
July 2010 - 'Final testing, not long now.'
August 2010 - 'Free for at least a few days after launch.'
September 2010 - Consume 1.8 for iPhone released. 'iPad version to be submitted after Consume 1.8 for iPhone.'
October 2010 - 'No news yet.'
November 2010 - 'We've been saying soon for a while now... but... soon.'
December 2010 - 'Soon. Better to release something good that's a little (sic) delayed, right?'
January 13, 2011 - Quota for Mac released
January 2011 - 'It's really, really close.'
May 12, 2011 - Quota now a universal iOS app
July 2011 - 'We had the iPad version of Consume pretty much finished, then the iPhone 4 was released and we wanted to get the Retina display update out... and we ended up rebuilding lots of things, adding features etc etc and at that point Consume for iPhone was a lot better than Consume for iPad and would have required a lot of work to get it up to scratch again. We made the mistake of letting everyone know about the iPad version too early. So yes, it's coming. Sorry for getting anyone's hopes up when we initially announced it.'
September 2011 - 'Retina iPad graphics are already done and ready for the iPad 3.'

I echo the words of Morrissey:
"When you say it's gonna happen now,
When exactly do you mean?
See I've already waited too long
And all my hope is gone."

Although Marc may well retort in kind:
"You shut your mouth!
How can you say
I go about things the wrong way?
I am human and I need to be loved
Just like everybody else does."
:D

DeanCorp
23rd October 2011, 02:05 AM
This is not meant to be a Marc bashing post. I have enormous respect for Marc and know that he is a fellow of many talents, but as he admits 'We made the mistake of letting everyone know about the iPad version too early'. And that he did. This is just a history so we're all brought up to speed.

So, I've been reading back through the Consume for iPhone thread on another site, interspersed with questions about an iPad release.

January 27, 2010 - Apple announces the iPad.
April 3, 2010 - Wi-Fi iPad 1 goes on sale in the US.
May 5, 2010 - Quota for iPad released
May 2010 - 'Flat out' with Consume for iPad. Preview (http://bjango.com/ipad/consume/) released. 'Not long now.'
June 2010 - 'Free at launch.'
July 2010 - 'Final testing, not long now.'
August 2010 - 'Free for at least a few days after launch.'
September 2010 - Consume 1.8 for iPhone released. 'iPad version to be submitted after Consume 1.8 for iPhone.'
October 2010 - 'No news yet.'
November 2010 - 'We've been saying soon for a while now... but... soon.'
December 2010 - 'Soon. Better to release something good that's a little (sic) delayed, right?'
January 13, 2011 - Quota for Mac released
January 2011 - 'It's really, really close.'
May 12, 2011 - Quota now a universal iOS app
July 2011 - 'We had the iPad version of Consume pretty much finished, then the iPhone 4 was released and we wanted to get the Retina display update out... and we ended up rebuilding lots of things, adding features etc etc and at that point Consume for iPhone was a lot better than Consume for iPad and would have required a lot of work to get it up to scratch again. We made the mistake of letting everyone know about the iPad version too early. So yes, it's coming. Sorry for getting anyone's hopes up when we initially announced it.'
September 2011 - 'Retina iPad graphics are already done and ready for the iPad 3.'

I echo the words of Morrissey:
"When you say it's gonna happen now,
When exactly do you mean?
See I've already waited too long
And all my hope is gone."

Although Marc may well retort in kind:
"You shut your mouth!
How can you say
I go about things the wrong way?
I am human and I need to be loved
Just like everybody else does."
:D

Well then why not launch it now? If the graphics are ready for iPad 3, great no work will need to be done when it's released.

kerr
28th October 2011, 05:49 PM

Looking like touch and go for a hi-res iPad in 2012.

LG and Samsung Still Struggling with 'Retina' iPad 3 Display? - Mac Rumors (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/27/lg-and-samsung-still-struggling-with-retina-ipad-3-display/)

MacTime
16th December 2011, 11:08 PM
It's out!!!