PDA

View Full Version : Any Way To Check Webmail In Mail.app?

kurisu
9th September 2005, 02:47 PM
Hi there, as the topic suggested, just wonder how to check webmail (e.g. Three mobile email, Uni email, etc) with Mail? got problems to check hotmail with httpmail in mail.app as well...said something like payment required.
thanks in advance
cheers,
chris

bassmanbliss
9th September 2005, 02:51 PM
If you want to receive and send three emails from mail.app then all you have to do is set incoming server to mail.three.com.au and your outgoing to you normal isp's outgoing address eg. smtp.bit.net.au. And you username and password is just your three email address and your password. As for uni webmail I am not sure.

Hope that helps

W2ttsy
9th September 2005, 03:02 PM
to solve the uni webmail problem, see if you can enable mail forwarding. just bung in your ISP email and then all your uni mail will get forwarded to the new address...

thats the way that i am running it. quite effective.

W2ttsy

dangelovich
9th September 2005, 03:08 PM
Many universities have a POP mail server which is for use by staff. My old uni (Deakin) used mail.deakin.edu.au as theirs...
If they've got it set up, it's usually at mail.uni.edu.au or pop.uni.edu.au (change uni to whatever the uni name is though)
Otherwise, call their IT department and ask. They may just give you the details.

kurisu
9th September 2005, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by dangelovich@Sep 9 2005, 03:08 PM
If they've got it set up, it's usually at mail.uni.edu.au or pop.uni.edu.au (change uni to whatever the uni name is though)

yes, that's exactly how it works, thanks mate! just wonder, do i use IMAP for three email as well?? also, why should i use ISP's outgoing server? coz in three suggested to use "smtp.three.com.au" in outlook, not sure if that's the same in mail.app

cheers,
chris

bassmanbliss
9th September 2005, 04:17 PM
In mail I could not get smtp.three.com.au to get a message out so I tried using bigponds outgoing server and now my messages get through fine. I am not exatcly sure of the reason but maybe smtp.three.com.au does work now. My three account is setup as POP mail.

suryo
9th September 2005, 04:41 PM
Most ISPs put restrictions on SMTP traffic for security reasons.
However, it makes no difference what server you use to send mail through if you use POP. The addressee still sees your correct return address. IMAP is a different story though as all folders are online.

My uni (Murdoch) allows students to use either POP or IMAP with the server address (POP,SMTP and IMAP) student.murdoch.edu.au

Call your uni's IT Services department to find out the correct server settings.

timgaden
29th September 2005, 11:45 AM
MacFreePOPs (http://www.timgaden.com/hawkwings/2005/09/17/macfreepops-getting-emails-from-hotmail-gmail-yahoo-squirrelmail-aol-etc/) does a pretty good job of getting emails out of web-based email services into your email client's inbox.

It works with Yahoo!, SquirrelMail, hotmail, Gmail, AOL and others, and might work for at least some of the services you mention too.