PDA

View Full Version : Download iTunes Purchases in off peak hours

Cage123
24th May 2010, 10:30 AM
Hi guys, hoping someone has a SIMPLE fix for doing this. Have looked in google and also on here with not much luck. There was thread with someone asking this, but they never did get an answer. So will ask again, it was awhile ago.

I am wanting to purchase a Season of TV Shows for myself, yes there are other ways, but would like to do it legally. It totals around 10GB all up, so was wanting to schedule this for Off Peak time. Is there a software program, or some other method of doing this so I do not have to get up in the middle of the night to start this, plan on doing this often.

NOTE - These are movies or TV Shows - NOT podcasts, which are much easier to arrange.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Mike

evmorg
24th May 2010, 11:31 AM
What ISP are you with? If it's iinet or Westnet (I think), any downloads from iTunes are not counted against your quota.

Other ISPs obviously have different rules. You may be able to set up an Automator action which will do what you want. I haven't had to do anything with Automator so I can't help you on this - hopefully some other members would be able to provide advice on this.

Good luck.

Cage123
24th May 2010, 12:10 PM
What ISP are you with? If it's iinet or Westnet (I think), any downloads from iTunes are not counted against your quota.

Other ISPs obviously have different rules. You may be able to set up an Automator action which will do what you want. I haven't had to do anything with Automator so I can't help you on this - hopefully some other members would be able to provide advice on this.

Good luck.

Unfortunately not with iinet. Not to strong on Automator either, so was hoping for a SIMPLE fix (eg - software). Thanks for the reply though, like you said, maybe some other on the forum can help.

Regards
Mike

Sebastianmonty
24th May 2010, 12:15 PM
Well there is definitely going to be a better way than this but my way is to start the downloads.
Then quit itunes.
Then launch automator and create a script to launch itunes when selected.
Then launch iCal and select that script as an alarm to "Run Script".
Then it will alarm, launch the script and launch itunes and begin downloading.

Try it first though as it's been a while since I did this.

snark
24th May 2010, 06:02 PM
Well there is definitely going to be a better way than this but my way is to start the downloads.
Then quit itunes.
Then launch automator and create a script to launch itunes when selected.
Then launch iCal and select that script as an alarm to "Run Script".
Then it will alarm, launch the script and launch itunes and begin downloading.

Try it first though as it's been a while since I did this.

If iTunes lets you quit in the middle of a download, and then resumes when you re-launch it, then the process above can be simplified by eliminating Automator - just set the alarm in iCal to 'open file' and choose iTunes as the file.

Note also that iCal does not have to be running for the alarm to work.

tcimac
24th May 2010, 06:33 PM
If iTunes lets you quit in the middle of a download, and then resumes when you re-launch it, then the process above can be simplified by eliminating Automator - just set the alarm in iCal to 'open file' and choose iTunes as the file.

Note also that iCal does not have to be running for the alarm to work.

Yes iTunes does allow you to quit while downloading and will automaticlly start back up when you re-start your machine.

I find the easiest way to do this is to do what Snark said and start the download/s then quit.

Go to System Preferences and list iTunes in your "Login Items" (under Accounts). iTunes will then launch automatically at start up.

Go the "Energy Saver" in System Preferences and set up a Schedule to automatically Start Up your machine at 5 mins past the Off Peak Start time and shut down 5 mins before the Off Peak end time.

Then Shut Down your machine.

So what will happen is at, let's say 12.05am, your Mac will start up, iTunes will launch therefore yoour downloads will start, then at, again lets say, 5.55am, your machine will shut down. Bear in mind, sometimes the shut down doesn't work because it wants you to agree to quitting the application. So just make sure that your download will complete well within the Off Peak time. That way you don't necessarily have to set a "Shut Down" time on your schedule.

I basically do the same thing with Transmission

Cage123
24th May 2010, 06:50 PM
Thanks guys, will try some of the suggestions above. Would be a better result all round if iTunes just built in a schedule function for there larger downloads.

Mike

KlaasVisser
25th May 2010, 07:39 PM
Thanks guys, will try some of the suggestions above. Would be a better result all round if iTunes just built in a schedule function for there larger downloads.

Mike

Ah, but in the US they don't understand peak / off-peak in relation to broadband plans - most of them don't even have quotas, so they can download whatever, whenever.

I messed around for a bit with solutions similar to what's been posted, but after a while my need reduced, and my broadband quota increased enough for it not to be an issue (90GB per month, and excess at $0.50 per GB).

Cage123
25th May 2010, 08:14 PM
I messed around for a bit with solutions similar to what's been posted, but after a while my need reduced, and my broadband quota increased enough for it not to be an issue (90GB per month, and excess at $0.50 per GB).

Did you end up with anything that could be done easily apart from just using the download quota. I would be interested to know which way you were heading.

Appledystopia
3rd May 2013, 11:20 AM
I just wrote a how-to article on my site, which explains how to do this. (http://www.appledystopia.com/how-to/schedule-itunes-downloads-page-1/) Basically, you create a simple script with Automator's record functionality. Then you set your Mac to wake before the Calendar event fires. This will work with iTunes 11, which requires authentication before a download takes place (even if you already bought the content). This was an easier thing to do with older versions of iTunes. But now, iTunes will require you to authenticate in order to even download content you have already purchased...

I don't think it will work anymore, at least with iTunes 11. It asks you to sign in before you can download anything. I just tried this with iTunes 11. When you sign in to download and quit, it stops the downloads. When you start it again, it asks for authentication.

I almost crapped my pants when I read this, because I spent a few days working out how to do this and writing it up for my site. But yeah, unfortunately, you sort of have to set up a Rube Goldberg machine to get this to work. It's not that bad.