PDA

View Full Version : Apps and data usage

clonanster
23rd May 2010, 01:54 PM
Stupid question, but I am new to iPhone...

Will my apps tell me if i am connecting to the network and using data? I assume that some apps need to connect to the network to function properly, and other don't.

There doesn't seem to be any information about this in the app store or in individual app info pages, so how do i know??

Bogus Jimmy
23rd May 2010, 02:14 PM
No, an app will not ask for your permission to access network data (unless you have your iPhone in Airplane Mode, then it will tell you to turn it off to access data).

The only indication is this spinning icon in the status bar (next to the 3G/Wi-Fi/EDGE/GRPS icon):
http://www.sapdesignguild.org/editions/highlight_articles_02/images/busy/loading_anim.gif

Unless it is streaming video/audio or downloading files (like Dropbox/iDisk), no app is going to use a huge amount of data. Before the iPhone was released, people thought they would use gigabytes per month, but we've seen since that the typical user only chews through a couple of hundred megabytes.

You can always check how much data an app has used by checking Settings > General > Usage > Cellular Network Data before and after running the app.

clonanster
23rd May 2010, 03:29 PM
Thanks, that clears things up nicely :)

~Coxy
24th May 2010, 10:24 AM
These days you should assume that pretty much every app uses some data. Even if it doesn't have any need to connect to the internet, most apps will do so anyway to display ads or to track their users.

clonanster
24th May 2010, 10:49 AM
hmmm interesting!! So does that mean that if you disable 3G and aren't in a wifi area most apps wont work?

~Coxy
24th May 2010, 04:22 PM
Nah, the apps will still work.
If you disable 3G they will load data over 2G (slowly and expensively depending.)
If you disable the modem entirely then there will just be a blank space or a placeholder where the ad would be.