PDA

View Full Version : Application folder gone - OOPS!

Chellef
23rd May 2010, 10:38 AM
Hi guys, first post, new and proud iMac owner. Somehow I deleted the Applications folder from my dock. When I tried to drag it down there from finder it just disappeared in a cloud of dust. I've tried some more to rectify it but it's going from bad to worse here. Now the application folder appears to be empty as well as missing from the Dock.

Any help pls? I'm in a panic!

QuickSilver
23rd May 2010, 12:24 PM
Hi,
Firstly, the Applications folder normally isn't in the dock, so you must have put it there yourself in the first place.

When you've dragged it from the finder, I assume you've tried to drag it from the sidebar (the left hand pane) in a Finder window. This can be a bit confusing, as it works like the dock in that it is just a shortcut so if you drag from there it will remove it, just like dragging from the dock.

So, what you need to do is, in a Finder window, click on Macintosh HD, which is the top level of your hard drive. When you see the Applications folder in the right-hand pane, drag it sideways to the left-hand sidebar. As you drag it, you will get a blue highlight to show you where it is going. Make sure that you drop it into a space BETWEEN two other items (usually below your home icon and the Documents folder icon). You should get a blue horizontal line showing where it will go, if you drag it over a folder it will highlight the folder, which isn't what you want. If you drop it by mistake onto one of the folders in the sidebar it will actually move your Applications folder into that folder, which isn't what you want.

Have a look at Apple - Find Out How - Mac Basics (http://www.apple.com/findouthow/mac/#findersidebar) and this might help too.

If you want to put it back in the dock as well, drag from the Applications folder in the Finder again down to the dock. You'll need to drag it to the right end of the dock past the dashed dividing line for it to stick. (This assumes you've still got the dock at the bottom edge of the screen, otherwise it would be the bottom end of the dock).

Lastly, not sure why the Applications folder now appears to be empty, perhaps this is a different folder to the real one? Check the trash, just in case you've somehow moved it there.

Hope this helps.

adamd
23rd May 2010, 12:25 PM
First off, go to Finder (the happy face on the left or top of the dock), Press Command+Shift+G and type "/Applications" without the quotes. This will take you to your computers applications folder. IF you get an error from this, you may've moved your Apps to the trash.
To get them back, simply click on the trash icon on the right (or bottom) of the dock and your Applications folder will be sitting waiting for you.
Open a new Finder window (Command+N or File | New) and navigate to your Macintosh HD. It should be in the sidebar on the left towards the top. Drag the Applications folder from the Trash to the Macintosh HD and voila you're done.

Personally though, I think you might've dropped it on the dock then accidentally dragged it off the dock. Deleting, or attempting to delete the Applications folder results in an error message "“Applications” can’t be modified or deleted because it’s required by Mac OS X."

EDIT: Beaten by a minute...

Chellef
23rd May 2010, 01:09 PM
u guys rock.. ty so much.

Just switched from PC and muddling my way through.

nike1
23rd May 2010, 02:01 PM
Hi,
Firstly, the Applications folder normally isn't in the dock, so you must have put it there yourself in the first place.

might i ask, why you say that the applications folder isnt on the dock?
when i got my MBP(last month) , it was the first thing i noticed that my applications folder was on the dock next to my documents folder.

QuickSilver
23rd May 2010, 02:17 PM
might i ask, why you say that the applications folder isnt on the dock?
when i got my MBP(last month) , it was the first thing i noticed that my applications folder was on the dock next to my documents folder.

OK, this must be something new on Snow Leopard (or even Leopard?). I haven't done a config from scratch for ages, having migrated from previous installs. Migrating brings across your existing dock so I never got an Applications folder there.

I was a bit mystified at how a new user managed to get it on the dock in the first place, that explains it.

Thanks for clearing that up!

Chellef
23rd May 2010, 02:29 PM
Yeah I didn't bother with nitty gritties but I was pretty confident it was already there when I first got it two weeks ago. It's a brand spanking 27" iMac and my hubby may regret buying it for me lol.

Thanks again guys.

adamd
24th May 2010, 12:06 AM
AFAIK it's the Documents and Downloads stacks on the dock upon fresh install.

Correction; Mac OSX 10.6 Ice-kitteh adds the Applications Folder to the Dock. Apple - Mac OS X Snow Leopard - Refining the user experience (http://www.apple.com/macosx/refinements/)