PDA

View Full Version : iMac screen cleaning

23rd May 2010, 09:38 AM
Hi there all.

What do you use to clean the glass screen on your iMac ? Mine has developed a few smears etc as the result of eating near the screen and then wiping it with a cloth that wasn't too clean itself. Is there a dedicated screen cleaner, types of cleaners to avoid etc ?

Cheers

Byrd
23rd May 2010, 09:57 AM
Pretty much any electrical store sells LCD screen cleaner, it's not expensive. I tend to just regularly wipe down my 24" LCD with a slightly damp, lint-free cloth (ie. used for cleaning glasses).

JB

iPirate
23rd May 2010, 12:26 PM
I thought the manual with all Mac Models said use a slightly damp lint-free cloth. Moisten with clean water, no alcohol-based cleaning fluids.

davedave
23rd May 2010, 12:39 PM
I use Klear Screen - LCD & Plasma Screen Cleaner (http://www.klearscreen.com/)

kyncaid
23rd May 2010, 01:28 PM
Your iMac comes with what looks like a suede cloth for the screen. but if you can't find it, use Microfiber.

if you have to use a cleaner go for something with Isopropyl Alcohol aka Isoprpanol

when i swaped out out my HDD on my iMac, i got finger prints over the screen. i used Microfiber on the inside and outside of the glass, and it came up spotless.

nibbles
23rd May 2010, 07:33 PM
I use the one that came with my iMac, you can buy them from glasses places such as sunglasses hut, make it slightly damp and wipe away. When I had apple come and replace the screen in my iMac they used a micro fibre cloth, which in actual fact did a hopeless job as there are bits of dust under the screen.

idiesel
23rd May 2010, 10:53 PM
I use the one that came with my iMac also.

Stubbon marks I use a clean cloth with warm water, and then buff the screen with the micro-fibre cloth that came with the iMac

caesarlike
25th May 2010, 11:31 AM
The best thing I have found to clean my iMac screen is a very soft hand towel. I dampen one corner of it with water and clean the screen. Then I use the dry part of the towel to wipe away the water. I find that doing this when the iMac is cold leaves no streaks on the screen. It looks like its brand new just out of the box. While cleaning a warm screen always leaves streaks on the screen.

gehenna
25th May 2010, 11:36 AM
The best thing I have found to clean my iMac screen is a very soft hand towel. I dampen one corner of it with water and clean the screen. Then I use the dry part of the towel to wipe away the water. I find that doing this when the iMac is cold leaves no streaks on the screen. It looks like its brand new just out of the box. While cleaning a warm screen always leaves streaks on the screen.

Yep, same method here and it's never failed me. There's no need for all those expensive products that people use.

Shaun R
1st June 2010, 09:56 PM
Is there something wrong with the microfibre cleaning cloth that comes in the white box of every Mac, iPod & iPhone?

LevMac
1st January 2011, 09:16 PM
I just wiped down my screen using the iKlear spray and microfibre cloth, and it has left smear smudges all over it :(

I think my problem was I didnt power it down and let it "cool" before I started wiping it.

I think ill unplug it, let it sit for a few hours then take a damp microfibre cloth and just wipe it down which will hopefully eliminate those ugly smear marks !