PDA

View Full Version : Someone possibly using my network??

Melishunt
22nd May 2010, 08:42 PM
Hi,
The other day I was in a public area using one of those Pre Paid USB broad band modems... After I had been online for about 20 minutes, I got a message saying there was another computer on the same network as me using my (or the same) IP address. I disconnected it straight away, and didn't get back online. I'm just wondering if this could have been someone using my network, accessing the internet from an iPhone or something with my connection or even possibly hacking my computer? Does anyone know what this could have been? I've only ever seen that message before at home when we were having trouble connecting both laptops to the one WiFi modem.
cheers,

D_W_Y
22nd May 2010, 09:27 PM
no

if thats not enough: the connection is only available to what its plugged into, you can't wireless share that kind of connection unless you personally set up mifi.

turn airport off while your using it in public if your paranoid.

mjankor
22nd May 2010, 09:55 PM
Nope, all it means is that the router got confused and 2 people got the same network address. Should sort itself out pretty quickly usually.

snark
22nd May 2010, 10:10 PM
It sounds like a minor issue with the telco's network (or DHCP service) - they have only so many IP addresses to give out to mobile customers, and probably issued the same one twice.

Or maybe they thought you had disconnected, or your lease had expired.

Melishunt
23rd May 2010, 10:38 AM
So someone within the direct compounds of where I was, was using the same type of USB Modem on a computer? I know there was no one else on a computer in that area, it was a hospital ward... open bays. The only possible conneciton could have been an iPhone

Exocet
23rd May 2010, 01:41 PM
It could have been somebody in the same room or somebody half way across Australia. All it means is that there was a glitch at your ISP's end which assigned the same IP address to you, and another person.

No need for tinfoil hats, you weren't being hacked.

snark
23rd May 2010, 06:35 PM
So someone within the direct compounds of where I was, was using the same type of USB Modem on a computer? I know there was no one else on a computer in that area, it was a hospital ward... open bays. The only possible conneciton could have been an iPhone

Almost certainly not. When you plug in a 3G USB modem, your computer is joining the ISP's network. Unlike most home setups, you're not running your own network - the modem doesn't function as a router.
So an IP address conflict is probably the result of poor management of the ISPs network (spanning thousands of devices), not the result of an uninvited neighbour joining your home network.

Melishunt
23rd May 2010, 10:03 PM
ok, thanks for the responses.