PDA

View Full Version : Can't Play Qt Streaming

Nathan
8th September 2005, 07:58 PM
I've had an ongoing problem for a while now (since about start of the year I reckon), where Quicktime streaming rarely works. I was of course reminded of this today when I attempted to view the mpeg4 stream of Steve's special event keynote.

Quicktime attempts to connect, then scrolls up "disconnected", then "400".
I'm currently running Quicktime 7.0.2 on 10.4.2, but this has been happening since QT6 days. Nor did it change when I upgraded my iMac G4 to a iMac G5. (It also doesn't work on the other two macs on this network, QT7.0 on 10.4.0, and QT6.4 on 10.3.9).

Normal progressive QT video's work fine, it's just streaming QT that seems to be the problem.

That said, once in a blue moon it does work. (I got to watch the intel announcement video after about a month of trying. and only that once.)

Could it be my broadband connection that's the problem? Since it seems like the problem has nothing to do with what QT version it is, or even specific to any one computer. I'm currently on BigPond's Unlimited ADSL 256/64 plan. My TCP/IP settings are set to the details listed on BigPond's site.

thanks

insanefireman
8th September 2005, 09:47 PM
You will have to bear with me, Im at work and on a PC so am working from memory. In your streaming settings you need to select manual? not auto and then you need to change your setting from UDP to HTTP port 80. What is happening is your router is a firewall and will not let a connection through on the UDP port. HTTP 80 is the port that a web browser works on so therefore there is no firewall. Having said all that, if you know how to port forward, you can stay on UDP or auto and it will work. Or just change to HTTP and dont worry. Let me know how you go
Grant

Nathan
8th September 2005, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by insanefireman@Sep 8 2005, 09:47 PM
You will have to bear with me, Im at work and on a PC so am working from memory. In your streaming settings you need to select manual? not auto and then you need to change your setting from UDP to HTTP port 80. What is happening is your router is a firewall and will not let a connection through on the UDP port. HTTP 80 is the port that a web browser works on so therefore there is no firewall. Having said all that, if you know how to port forward, you can stay on UDP or auto and it will work. Or just change to HTTP and dont worry. Let me know how you go
Grant
:thumbup: Excellent! Took me a while to find those settings, but I found them under the advanced tab in QT's preferences. Thanks heaps Grant!