PDA

View Full Version : Itunes 5 Catalogues And Plays Video

Tejas
8th September 2005, 05:39 PM
to add to the speculation about a video ipod i discovered that iTunes5 actully has the ability to catalogue and play back videos....

interesting

mvjs
8th September 2005, 05:40 PM
Could previous versions do that too?

OziMac
8th September 2005, 05:44 PM
Wow - nice work Tejas - could you please explain how iTunes does this (and whether we could actually start building an iTunes video library already)? :)

iSlayer
8th September 2005, 05:52 PM
pretty sure it came in in 4.8 or 4.9

On-Site-Tec
8th September 2005, 05:56 PM
Yep it was new in 4.9 I think.

I love it because i have quite a few videos. BUT....

It does NOT play the audio through my AirPort Express.

So ive removed all my videos from my library now. Big dissapointment.

Unless there is a way to do this.

:(
Matt.

OziMac
8th September 2005, 06:06 PM
Just to clarify then - does 5.0 do anything in terms of cataloguing videos that 4.8/9 did not?

mvjs
8th September 2005, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by OziMac@Sep 8 2005, 06:06 PM
Just to clarify then - does 5.0 do anything in terms of cataloguing videos that 4.8/9 did not?
No

arty
8th September 2005, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by On-Site-Tec@Sep 8 2005, 05:56 PM
It does NOT play the audio through my AirPort Express.

So ive removed all my videos from my library now. Big dissapointment.

Unless there is a way to do this.
There's a program called Airfoil (http://www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/) that will allow you to stream any audio from your computer to an Airport Express. The problem you will find is the latency of the network means the audio & video is never synced. Hence why Apple don't do it.

On-Site-Tec
8th September 2005, 07:10 PM
They could do it if it was buffered well in advance. So any bandwith fluctuation was taken care off. Would be a bigger delay in controls like play and pause and skipping through it.

But thanks for that anyway arty :) will check it out!

Matt.

spargo
8th September 2005, 07:12 PM
Better to catalogue your videos in iPhoto, then they'll play through whatever version of Quicktime you have..

Who wants to watch movies (or potentially TV) on a tiny iPod screen anyway - not me! I don't know what the hype is all about, your eyes would go crazy trying to focus on that sized screen for anything more than a few minutes! But video-out to a TV (similar to the iPhoto Video-out for photos) for playing movies from an iPod would be a definite winner, although file sizes of movies will restrict things.

The latency issues with Airfoil that arty explained also apply to audio output from the in-built DVD player when you're watching a movie, and any other apps you link it up to capture the audio from. Bit dissapointing.