PDA

View Full Version : Can't Install Itunes 5 & Quicktime Update

BigAD
8th September 2005, 12:27 PM
Anyone else having problems installing iTunes 5 from the software updates and / or from downloaded dmg.

I keep getting this message when I try to do software updates, and also when I try to install iTunes via the image from the apple website. I havn't even opened iTunes today and restarted my iMac a couple of times, but nothing.

The message is attached.
http://www.aonedesigns.com.au/tnDesktopItunes.jpg (http://www.aonedesigns.com.au/DesktopItunes.jpg)

if anyone can help, thanks heaps.
A.D

dangelovich
8th September 2005, 12:43 PM
Assuming you've restarted the machine and tried again, I'd check the Activity Monitor app to see if it is running, or if the iTunes Helper is running. End Process them and try again.

sikosis
8th September 2005, 03:10 PM
Well I tried to install iTunes on my XP Pro box ...

First time I launched the installer ... it locked up ...

Second time I ran the installer, it all installed fine and then locked up my PC at the end

After the reboot, I go to launch iTunes and it tells me

"Quicktime 6.5 is installed, iTunes requires Quicktime 7.0 or later"

Hrmm, I downloaded the iTunes + Quicktime ... so ... :blink:

And if I go to the Quicktime site, it tries to download the same EXE ...

Rayd
8th September 2005, 03:14 PM
mine gave me that message, but then i realised that i had iTunes open! :P so i quit it and it installed fine and all is well! :D i love iTunes 5!

try actually having iTunes open, and when it asks quit it and try again.

BigAD
8th September 2005, 07:07 PM
I worked it out.

Had the program "Sizzling Keys" running, and I couldn't install itunes cause of it. It has never been a problem before with updates, but hey, it works now.

Rayd
8th September 2005, 07:28 PM
hahah i love your nameing of that HD/Folder... "music & shit" nice :P

DJY
8th September 2005, 08:11 PM
no problems here installing iTunes 5 on my PB.
no problems either with the Quicktime update 7.02.

Ozi
8th September 2005, 08:18 PM
I know the problem: you guys are running a great little application called Sizzlingkeys (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/22459) which will trigger off the warning thing. :D

BigAD pipped me at the post though. :) I used Activity Monitor to find Sizzlingkeys and then kill the application. Also, killing the application using the preference pane in System Preferences will work.

tommelbourne
9th September 2005, 08:04 AM
Wow! I was just about to post the same problem, but it looks like someone has already solved it. Thanks guys, and long live SizzlingKeys!

sikosis
9th September 2005, 10:11 AM
Interesting ... I had no problems what-so-ever installing iTunes 5 on the Mac ... but it failed on 3 different Windows XP machines. They either failed to install or won&#39;t run citing that QuickTime 7 is required, yet the installer is meant to do both. <_<

I&#39;m now uninstalling and putting 4.9 back on.

pipsqeek
9th September 2005, 04:14 PM
Although I didn&#39;t have major issues installing iTunes 5... I did however find some discrepancies. If you go in "customise" in the installer. It doesn&#39;t let you tick or un-tick things you don&#39;t want. Further more, the three items that are there to select, iTunes 5, and two other unnecessary items of rubbish I didn&#39;t want on my system. I could not un-select.

On other machines, these items were not selected, though I still couldn&#39;t select them if I wanted to, they were faded out.

Worse still, I have my Mac mini, which is my mail server as well as media centre... iTunes 5 doesn&#39;t play nice with shared music. I can&#39;t access my shared music from any of my other mac&#39;s in the house.

I&#39;ve repaired permissions and done all this other stuff, but it is crap, and have reverted back to iTunes 4.9

I noticed as well, some machines needed a reboot, while others did not.

Some machines had the shared music pop up. But then go away. Reinstalling iTunes 4.9 works as per normal.

Looks like I&#39;ll be waiting for iTunes 5.1... which will probably require version 5 to update. :&#092;

pipsqeek :thumbup:

sikosis
9th September 2005, 04:27 PM
iTunes 5 still hasn&#39;t fixed the issue that cropped up on iTunes 4.9 to do with iTunes not being able to connect to my AirTunes, unless I do it manually.

iTunes 4.8 use to work fine ... but 4.9 has podcasts so I can&#39;t go back ...

3dward_Shaddow
10th September 2005, 07:30 PM
Good its not just me having trouble with shared music.
I share my iTunes from my powerbook to my PC, when the PC was running 4.9 and the mac 5 no problems. Soon as I upgraded to 5 on the PC. Nada, zip :(

*waits for 5.1* :ph34r: