PDA

View Full Version : iPhone + Vodafone 3G Problems?

matttyley
19th May 2010, 05:05 PM
For as long as I've had a 3G iPhone I've had call drop out problems with Vodafone on 3G. 2G works perfectly well, or as well as 2G service can be! :p

Here is my extensive list of troubleshooting steps, mostly as instructed by either Vodafone or Apple, who passed the buck constantly:

None of the iPhones have ever been jailbroken.
Dropouts occur regardless of location.
Will happen regularly on just about any call.
Restored software more times than I care to count.
Returned original iPhone 3G twice and 3GS once.
Tried brand new SIM for the same plan.
Bought a pre paid SIM to try seperately.
Lent the unlocked phone to a friend with a NextG SIM and no problems.
Borrowed his unlocked NextG phone with no dropouts.

So, I have come to the conclusion that it must be something to do with the 2100MHz 3G network that Vodafone uses, as my friends Telstra SIM worked perfectly using the 850MHz NextG network. So either Vodafones crappy network, or the crappy GSM radio in the iPhone.

I've been living with it on 2G for almost a year now. Would love to finally use it out and about on 3G.

Anyone else experiencing similar problems?

iTy
19th May 2010, 07:03 PM
For as long as I've had a 3G iPhone I've had call drop out problems with Vodafone on 3G. 2G works perfectly well, or as well as 2G service can be! :p

Here is my extensive list of troubleshooting steps, mostly as instructed by either Vodafone or Apple, who passed the buck constantly:

None of the iPhones have ever been jailbroken.
Dropouts occur regardless of location.
Will happen regularly on just about any call.
Restored software more times than I care to count.
Returned original iPhone 3G twice and 3GS once.
Tried brand new SIM for the same plan.
Bought a pre paid SIM to try seperately.
Lent the unlocked phone to a friend with a NextG SIM and no problems.
Borrowed his unlocked NextG phone with no dropouts.

So, I have come to the conclusion that it must be something to do with the 2100MHz 3G network that Vodafone uses, as my friends Telstra SIM worked perfectly using the 850MHz NextG network. So either Vodafones crappy network, or the crappy GSM radio in the iPhone.

I've been living with it on 2G for almost a year now. Would love to finally use it out and about on 3G.

Anyone else experiencing similar problems?

A big YES here.

Don't forget to add the nice throw away line that the 3G towers are being upgraded. I use to tell the "tech" support that there was no notes on the Voda site about said upgrades nor any notes about service being down.

Having said that, the service in my home area, Sunnybank seems to be solid in the last 4 weeks, but if I go to the CBD, South Brisbane, Morningside, Garden City then the 3G dropouts occur regularly.

Suck balls though because, sometimes, I'm expecting a call not knowing that the service has gone to shit. When I do realise it, it could easily be 3-4 hrs or more. Which case, I get a flood of voicemail messages when the service comes back.

**Sigh** It also sucks how you have to go through the same shitty advice from the "techs" every time even though you tell them up front that its the same issue.

Btw, they are very quick to call you up when your bill is overdue. Sometimes, I delay payment on purpose because I hate the thought of paying for a service that was not 100% provided. Additionally, its hard to argue with them as their systems show that there was no down time (remember the "techs" have a throw away line that 3G towers are being upgraded).

This is most likely the same with other telcos so its just a matter of which, is the lesser evil.

One other thing, I've been on their contract of 12 months now, and they still expect me to pay $75 to unlock. I rung them up to state my case, so now I have to send them a bunch of paperwork to prove that I have been with them > 6 months to qualify for the lower rate of $25. I'm sure they could easily look up when they first started billing me. Another **sigh** :mad:

/rant

TJA77
19th May 2010, 07:59 PM
I often get call drop outs in the same areas around southern Sydney. Have been given the absolute run around from Voda and I gave up in the end. My "tech" support person also added that when the phone signal is changing from one tower to another it momentarily loses reception while switching and drop outs are inevitable. She also stated the weather has alot to do with how strong reception will be?!!? I mean cmon Vodafone! I only stay with them coz I find their service better than Optus for me. If Telstra had decent plans I would jump ship very quickly as Im sure most people would.

matttyley
19th May 2010, 08:44 PM
I've heard the same thing about the switching between towers. What's strange is my iPhone could be on full bars then all of a sudden reduce to 2 and go up and down. The towers are quite close to our house and it's quite a flat area.

I work as an IT contractor and am constantly hearing complaints from other Vodafone users, my recommendation is to turn off 3G and they have no complaints from then on.

I also heard that AT&T switched on a lot of their 850MHz network in the US around the end of 2009 and suddenly iPhone users there had many less dropped calls.

When the new iPhone launches, I'm likely to exit my unlimited Vodafone plan and hop onto the more expensive, but actually functioning Telstra unlimited plan.

Dave from Vodafone & 3
20th May 2010, 04:25 PM
Hi matttyley, TJA77 ad iTy

I'd like to see if I can find an answer to your problem!! If you could reply with your postcodes I'll have a look into your locations.

Using your device on you 2G will help network help with a lot of the dropout problems, for the time being.

Cheers
Dave.

angusg
20th May 2010, 08:01 PM
^^ I have the same problem, I'm out at Banyo (4014) and problems from time to time too at home, Gordon Park (4031). I'm starting work in the Valley (4006) next week, any idea what it's like out there at all?

3G time outs until I put my phone into Airplane mode and take it out again, texts not being sent (and the iPhone isn't very good and letting you know about failed sends) and sometimes I'll be on the phone and the line'll go all garbled and inaudible and then I can't call out and no one can call me until I've turned my phone off and back on.

It's quite frustrating.. The instore Vodafone guys were helpful and empathetic, knew that upgrades were going on, but the Indian call centre couldn't've been more useless or made a bigger waste of the 40 minutes I spent on the phone with them if they tried. If I hadn't've had positive experiences with Voda in the past, I'd be spitting chips right now, I will be thinking twice about renewing my contract though.

Dare
20th May 2010, 08:22 PM
+1 for Voda probs in brisbane. Lucky i bought my iPhone outright and ditched Voda for Telstra. Perfect, almost never lose reception, even in lifts etc.

kevinnugent
20th May 2010, 10:09 PM
Hi matttyley, TJA77 ad iTy

I'd like to see if I can find an answer to your problem!! If you could reply with your postcodes I'll have a look into your locations.

Using your device on you 2G will help network help with a lot of the dropout problems, for the time being.

Cheers
Dave.

voda reception here in Brookwater is rubbish too. Postcode 4300. Supposed to be full 3G coverage. I have to go outside to answer the phone when using VF.

matttyley
21st May 2010, 01:46 PM
My suburb is Klemzig 5087, whilst I still have the problem elsewhere, I use it most when at home.

Just because I hate myself, I turned on 3G today and half the calls were dropped, some never even connected! On one call, it tried dialling but went completely garbled the instant I pressed the call button.

Also, I had 4 to 5 bars of 3G signal while having these problems today. It's funny because I usually only get 2 to 3 bars of 2G service but that works perfect!

Non working 3G service on a device that is branded as the "iPhone 3G" seems like grounds to exit the contract if you ask me. Especially considering my service is considered a "Business" service, not very professional to be talking to clients and have the calls drop out multiple times while talking to the same person.

iTy
21st May 2010, 09:52 PM
My suburb is Klemzig 5087, whilst I still have the problem elsewhere, I use it most when at home.

Just because I hate myself, I turned on 3G today and half the calls were dropped, some never even connected! On one call, it tried dialling but went completely garbled the instant I pressed the call button.

Also, I had 4 to 5 bars of 3G signal while having these problems today. It's funny because I usually only get 2 to 3 bars of 2G service but that works perfect!

Non working 3G service on a device that is branded as the "iPhone 3G" seems like grounds to exit the contract if you ask me. Especially considering my service is considered a "Business" service, not very professional to be talking to clients and have the calls drop out multiple times while talking to the same person.

I did find a possible (mini) fix for this. I restored the phone and wiped everything clean. That is, I did not restore from a backup. Of course this means that all my data from Things and other important apps were lost, but it has been a little more stable.

@ Voda reps, for the record, 3G around my home suburb is great. Its only when I venture into the Brisbane CBD (4000) and surrounding areas, where drop calls happen. Garden City (not sure what the postcode is) is also the same, dropped calls.

ipwn
21st May 2010, 10:34 PM
Same Problems here, except the TIO helped me go to telstra, Because Its a known issue in my area (all of sydney) lol and Telstra is my new Telco, We live in 2010 and we cant get a call to not dropout and standing on a chair to reach some 3gs is what i did back in the old days... Funny thing is im upto 132 screen shots of "no service" or no 3g...

matttyley
22nd May 2010, 10:58 AM
I think a fresh restore without restoring a backup is always a good rule of thumb for troubleshooting, but I don't think it restores anything to do with the baseband.

ipwn, were you asked to take screenshots when you had no service, was this to prove to them that you were having issues?

angusg
22nd May 2010, 03:03 PM
I just rang up to cancel my wireless broadband and to drop my phone from the $79 back to the $59 cap (which is what I was on originally) as I've just gotten iiNet hooked up at home but Vodafone's system has been down all day, and the operators have given up on telling people it'll be back up today.. FAIL!!!

Joey1983
26th May 2010, 05:40 PM
Over the last few days I've had about 90% of my phone calls drop out, I don't think I've had one successful phone conversation at all today...

Can't wait till June / July so I can move my account to Telstra, It's a shame as I've been with Vodafone for over 10 years. Enough's enough though.

I know I can turn 3G off and it will solve most of my problems, but I rely on data a lot more than I do voice calls and I can't be fucked switching it on and off 20 times a day...

Has anyone else in Sydney had problems making calls over the last few days in particular.

DeKa
26th May 2010, 09:19 PM
All I can say is that since this advice has been getting around for people to switch their iPhones to 2G mode, my iPhone works perfectly on Vodafone 3G at home and at work!!

It's the talk of the office (everyone's on Vodafone).. "Oh, your iPhone isn't working properly? Here.. go to Settings, Network and turn off 3G.. there, look, it works now doesn't it?"

Owner says yes and my 3G network experience gets better.

I am surprised at how many people who have corporate issue iPhones use them *only* as a phone and have no idea about how to navigate even the settings app. What's the point one has to ask? That's a whole other thread though.

angusg
26th May 2010, 09:29 PM
All I can say is that since this advice has been getting around for people to switch their iPhones to 2G mode, my iPhone works perfectly on Vodafone 3G at home and at work!!

It's the talk of the office (everyone's on Vodafone).. "Oh, your iPhone isn't working properly? Here.. go to Settings, Network and turn off 3G.. there, look, it works now doesn't it?"

Owner says yes and my 3G network experience gets better.

I am surprised at how many people who have corporate issue iPhones use them *only* as a phone and have no idea about how to navigate even the settings app. What's the point one has to ask? That's a whole other thread though.

It's what I've generally been doing when I've been experience 3G timeouts or disconnects.. I don't think it's an acceptable long time/permanent workaround though.. I usually get frustrated with the connection speed after 10 minutes or so and switch it back on..

That said I did reset my network settings on the weekend to do with a completely unrelated issue (my iPhone wasn't remembering my hidden SSID) and my service seems to be a hell of alot better, but I did start working somewhere else on Monday too, so my new location may be getting better service..

DeanCorp
26th May 2010, 10:00 PM
*Subscribed to thread*

Olfella, my experience with Optus has been similar. I found a SIM swap didn't actually do anything to resolve my issue. I am thinking it is to do with certain towers in the area's. So either we live with the occasional drop outs or poor signal or we move networks. I will be doing the latter of the two.

tcn33
26th May 2010, 10:17 PM
If you're going to hurl abuse at other members you can fuck off back to Whirlpool. That shit doesn't fly here.

stallie
27th May 2010, 08:56 AM
Very few problems in the areas North West of Melbourne with my voda calls and data. About once a week or so a call will end up on voicemail, having never rung on my handset but for the cost saving, that does not bother me.

However I was in Boondall, Brisbane for 24 hours and had nothing but atrociously slow data service. Practically non existant. Arrive in Sydney and Melbourne and presto, all good again.

angusg
28th May 2010, 01:48 PM
One or two drop outs today but nothing too drastic. Might just be the overcast weather (cloudy here in Bris)

matttyley
28th May 2010, 08:15 PM
I've been on the phone to Vodafone complaints and cancellation departments today with amazing results. No harsh words spoken, no raising of my voice.

I have just over 12 months remaining on my contract which works out to a cancellation fee of approximately $1400.

I managed to get that fee waived completely, all I have to do is return my 32GB iPhone 3GS which I received free as part of the contract.

It's not 100% final yet as I have to go to Telstra tomorrow to move my number across, but I will keep this thread updated with my progress.

I think I'll start a new thread once this is completed with detailed information on how to go about cancelling the pathetic service.

Matt.

Gops
8th June 2010, 02:20 PM
Hi Matt,

How did you go on moving from vodafone to telstra? I am going through same service issues on Vodaphone.

Thanks

Gops

matttyley
9th June 2010, 02:43 PM
Hi Matt,

How did you go on moving from vodafone to telstra? I am going through same service issues on Vodaphone.

Thanks

Gops

I went very well! Escaped my contract without paying a cent!

I just had to return my iPhone 3GS as I received it for free under contract.

I've started a new thread which goes into a lot more detail about it:

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/55/86831-how-i-escaped-vodafones-clutches.html#post987583

Matt.