PDA

View Full Version : Where can I find Japanese Taiyaki?

wholikespotatoes
19th May 2010, 12:25 PM
I realise this is a long shot...

I am looking to find Taiyaki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiyaki) (Japanese fish shaped treat filled with red bean paste) anywhere in Melbourne.

Given how multicultural Melbourne is I am sure that it does exist somewhere. So far I have tried searching the internet, calling up Japanese grocers and visiting Chinatown. All I have been able to find is an ice-cream version.

Inspired by Decryption's thread I did plan on using my credit card's concierge service.. then I realised it didn't have one.

Has anybody seen it around or know a place that does have it? Much appreciated :)

http://kariijapan.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/taiyaki.jpg

gehenna
19th May 2010, 12:28 PM
There's an asian food shop in Melbourne Central near Coles that might have them, they have a lot of random stuff in there.

tintinaujapon
19th May 2010, 12:31 PM
We've got it at a new ramen-ya here in Perth. I've never seen it as a take home food in Australia.

wholikespotatoes
19th May 2010, 12:49 PM
There's an asian food shop in Melbourne Central near Coles that might have them, they have a lot of random stuff in there.

Was it Breadtop you were referring to? I have previously checked them out but without success. I must admit it looked promising initially.

We've got it at a new ramen-ya here in Perth. I've never seen it as a take home food in Australia.

Interesting point... I was thinking this may be the case. That said I know overseas you can find them pre-made and ready to take home.

I would prefer finding them in take-away form (like at a bakery or packaged at a grocery), but if anybody has seem them served in Melbourne that still would be very helpful!

Thanks.

forno
21st May 2010, 08:29 AM
try Suzuran, Bourke Road Camberwell

dekco
21st May 2010, 11:36 AM
How do you find the ramen compared to the streets of Tokyo? I tried it the other day, and I got to say, the ones in Japan had a much smoother soup base.

ZacDavies
21st May 2010, 07:23 PM
Maybe someone else with a concierge service would be kind enough to find out for you!

I has only debit :(

wholikespotatoes
21st May 2010, 07:34 PM
try Suzuran, Bourke Road Camberwell

Cheers i'll give them a ring... their website is down :mad:

Maybe someone else with a concierge service would be kind enough to find out for you!

I has only debit :(

Haha that would be nice but I don't think that is necessary :)

tintinaujapon
21st May 2010, 07:50 PM
How do you find the ramen compared to the streets of Tokyo? I tried it the other day, and I got to say, the ones in Japan had a much smoother soup base.

If we're talking about Arigataya, I'd have to agree both in terms of flavour and appearance that it doesn't match what you could get in many places in Japan- is that fatty bits or odds & ends of men floating in the soup?

But it's still pretty damn good. You can tell immediately that it's entirely made on site and not straight out of some packet. Although somewhat expensive (I think the most I ever paid for good ramen in Japan was about 1000), the portion size (either oomori or kaedama) is pretty generous. I couldn't even finish the chashuu I ordered last time.

As a sidenote, their gyoza are really, really awful. My wife's leaves them for dead.

The service there is also Japanese, ie. fantastic. Quick to take your order, quick to bring out the food, respond to any requests & clean up. I really hope that they don't get sloppy after a while from serving Australians who don't expect good service - a case in point where this happened being Fish Japan at Dog Swamp.

For quality of Japanese food, Kanta's in Langford can't be beat.