PDA

View Full Version : Brushed Metal Gone In Itunes 5.0

queraxus
8th September 2005, 08:13 AM
There is yet another interface by Apple. The new iTunes 5.0 comes with a darker version of the unified look. A larger, 'curved' LCD window, similiar to many Dashboard widgets is also new.

I like it. I think it's a good evolution from Brushed Metal. But is this a hint of things to come?

iSlayer
8th September 2005, 08:21 AM
i hope so.
i really like the new iTunes interface.
i think apple are going in the right direction with it

decryption
8th September 2005, 09:23 AM
I for one, welcome our new non-brushed metal interface overlords :)

macmate
8th September 2005, 09:43 AM
looks nice.......

annoying that the podcasts turn up in my library...... grrrr

Squozen
8th September 2005, 09:51 AM
I don't like it, but I'm sure it's because I'm so used to the old look. I'll give it a few days.

More important for me - does this new look mean that iTunes is a Cocoa application now?

Byrd
8th September 2005, 09:51 AM
Doesn't look much different to me - just iTunes 4.5 with a skin :D

JB

gmask1
8th September 2005, 11:13 AM
Looks good, but it's wierd seeing it underneath the finder and safari, which still have the brushed look. The nice, uniform look of the windows is gone for now... :)

I assume that the other osx apps will get this update soon?

The Fluffy Duck
8th September 2005, 11:38 AM
A 7mg itunes skin. That was worth my bandwidth. Considering I cant change it.

Got to love winamp you can change it to look the way you want it.......oh wait

feeze
8th September 2005, 12:05 PM
Does anyone else find the placement of the volume slider odd?

xfodder
8th September 2005, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by macmate@Sep 8 2005, 09:43 AM
looks nice.......

annoying that the podcasts turn up in my library...... grrrr
i know ! yuck !

and i also want to know if itunes is finally cocoa.

but i do like the new look, vary nice.

Silver
8th September 2005, 12:38 PM
Given iTunes cross platform nature, I doubt it will ever be cocoa, although I am unfamiliar with methods for telling what the source code of a program was.

I'm happy there is finally a method of disabling PodCasts so I don't have to have it in my source list. I hate them.

zac
8th September 2005, 12:47 PM
Its not Cocoa.

Paxton
8th September 2005, 01:07 PM
I am not happy with the new release. I have a 15 inch powerbook, and the iTunes window won't stretch the width of my display. I have had to pull 4.9 from my PowerMac, and use it from there. Otherwise, it looks too 'Windowsie', and I really can't stress enough that IT NEEDS TO BE IN COCOA. I am sick of the time-piece telling me I am waiting for something to load, whereas in Safari or Mail I have the BeachBall.

-Andrew

Peter Wells
8th September 2005, 01:57 PM
the mini player window is alot nicer. more info..

gizo
8th September 2005, 03:10 PM
i like yr avatar, iboy.
my wife took a sign to the footy once, his last game for the saints.
it read "get off barry! your scaring the children!"
hehehe

Rayd
8th September 2005, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by feeze@Sep 8 2005, 12:05 PM
YES! :| i love the new look but that placement... what the F? i think they were running out of ideas for that area, so they stuck it there! oh well iTunes 5.1 will place something useful there! i LOVE iTUNES 5 espacially the new seach and the almighty PLAYLIST FOLDERS!!!

*bows down to the almighty apple*

DVD Plaza
8th September 2005, 04:45 PM
Bugger about the new GUI. As much as I hate brushed metal, it was nice to finally have all of Apple's applets using BUILT-IN OSX GUIs... formerly their applications were each doing their own implementation of brushed metal, and all did it slightly different and/or buggy, now we're back to having an application drawing its own interface again...

If only they'd ditch the brushed metal on Safari ;)

kit
8th September 2005, 05:07 PM
First people had to find ways around making Mail 2.0 look normal instead of *stupid*, and they did. Now people have to adapt to things looking four different ways in four different applications? What is this - Windows? Where's the consistency?

warren21
8th September 2005, 05:27 PM
I like it. Very clean.

queraxus
8th September 2005, 06:13 PM
The minute someone (or Apple) makes a plug-in for Safari and the rest of OS X to look this way, it'll be a massive hit.

spargo
8th September 2005, 06:48 PM
I'm not a fan of the loss of the brushed metal, not sure why but it just looks out of place. I'm sure i'll survive.

Is this the shape (or colour) of things to come?

xfodder
8th September 2005, 07:06 PM
this thought just came to me ... if apple removes the brushed look from all their apps ... where will that leave appletalk ? :P maybe someone should make a unified skin for appletalk :D

Mohawk
8th September 2005, 08:28 PM
I think theres a chance we are all missing an important point...

this could also be about the app being used on windows pcs, all my pc using mates hate itunes cause it looks all metally and maccy and generally, doesnt fit in with windows, but today the ones I showed loved it. So this could be used in drawing pc users over to the nice clean new interface of itunes and into the itunes music store...
Dunno, just a thought :P

Personally, I love it, and would love to see safari and the rest get the same treatment (although a lighter version would go better)
oh yes, and hurray for apple for bringing out the most stupid non breakthrough full new version update to any program (that I know of)

designers_hub
8th September 2005, 08:37 PM
I like the new design, they got rid of the thick edges so its more compact.

mwot
8th September 2005, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Mohawk@Sep 8 2005, 08:28 PM
I think theres a chance we are all missing an important point...

this could also be about the app being used on windows pcs, all my pc using mates hate itunes cause it looks all metally and maccy and generally, doesnt fit in with windows, but today the ones I showed loved it. So this could be used in drawing pc users over to the nice clean new interface of itunes and into the itunes music store...
Dunno, just a thought :P

Personally, I love it, and would love to see safari and the rest get the same treatment (although a lighter version would go better)
oh yes, and hurray for apple for bringing out the most stupid non breakthrough full new version update to any program (that I know of)
Yes, the Windows version of iTunes 5 is exactly the same look and feel as the Mac version. I downloaded it and installed it on my work PC today, then did the same on my Mac.

I tend to agree ... it looks very Windows-ish ...

DJY
8th September 2005, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by spargo@Sep 8 2005, 06:48 PM
I'm not a fan of the loss of the brushed metal, not sure why but it just looks out of place. I'm sure i'll survive.

Is this the shape (or colour) of things to come?
I agree!
Just looks out of place with other apps open.
Brushed metal must be on the way out!

DVD Plaza
8th September 2005, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by mwot@Sep 8 2005, 09:04 PM
I tend to agree ... it looks very Windows-ish ...
Especially the corners, far too square for my liking.

Must say I am PISSED Apple have re-introduced their "application draws and handles its own GUI" bugs...

eg before QuickTime used the built-in OSX brushed metal, and drew the interface itself, the close button did not respond in the bottom right corner... they had the "clickable" co-ordinates out of whack, so clicking anywhere in the bottom right corner of the button actually did a drag... those quirks were fixed when QuickTime dumped its own brushed metal and simply let OSX do it.

Well, now iTunes has that bug... not as severe, but if you click only 2 pixels into the bottom right corner of the button you won't actually depress the button, you'll be dragging. Likewise if you click 2 pixels ABOVE the top left corner of the button (eg on the actual window of iTunes) you'll be clicking the button...

The scroll bars obviously aren't even legitimate aqua scroll bars... take a look at the vertical navigation, it stops 1 pixel from the top... a true aqua scroll bar goes all the way to the top.

Picky I know, but it's bad enough Cocoa and Carbon still have their idiodic differences let alone bringing Windows stupidity of applications being inconsistent and doing their own GUIs.

Is it just me, or are the back/play/forward buttons indented a little too far on this new iTunes GUI... compare it to the Burn Disc button on the right hand side...

queraxus
8th September 2005, 11:27 PM
It's a winner for me. And, after using a Windows pc all afternoon, to come home to this, there's no comparison.

Johnny Appleseed
8th September 2005, 11:35 PM
It's the same interface style as Mail 2. I doubt Windows was a consideration in the design.

I guess that's what the Mac OS X interface is now moving towards. But I prefer brushed metal cos it matches my PowerBook ...

B)

tommelbourne
9th September 2005, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by Mohawk@Sep 8 2005, 08:28 PM
...this could also be about the app being used on windows pcs, all my pc using mates hate itunes cause it looks all metally and maccy and generally, doesnt fit in with windows, but today the ones I showed loved it. So this could be used in drawing pc users over to the nice clean new interface of itunes and into the itunes music store...

Who gives a crap what appeals to Windoze users? Apple, Apple, Apple, what is happening? I installed iTunes 5 and got the life scared outta me when the new-look window appeared!

One more gripe - why no icon change? I always looked forward to getting to have a new iTunes icon with a different coloured note whenever a major update came out, but it seems they have done away with this amusing little feature. Green sucks!

Geez, i sure am grumpy today :P

marc
9th September 2005, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by Johnny Appleseed@Sep 8 2005, 11:35 PM
It's the same interface style as Mail 2. I doubt Windows was a consideration in the design.

I guess that's what the Mac OS X interface is now moving towards. But I prefer brushed metal cos it matches my PowerBook ...
I wouldn't say that. I think it's quite a bit different. The big problem with that is inconsistency. We now have Aqua, brushed metal, mail and iTunes. All different, but similar. It's a total abortion. Apple really need to get this right.

It's not that I don't like some of the new UI changes for iTunes, because I do. I just think they should be system-wide rather than on an app by app basis. It's very un-Apple and not a good sign.

DVD Plaza :: Couldn't agree more. All those things you listed are VERY important, and one of the reasons I use a mac. Those things do matter to me. On one hand we have an OS that's so well crafted it shows the path in the "recent items" menu if two documents have the same name (a very cool feature), but massive UI oversights. Strange.

Please, someone put John Gruber in charge of OS X's GUI.

marc
9th September 2005, 08:52 AM
Hahahaha... Speaking of John Gruber...

http://daringfireball.net/

:) So true.

notb4dinner
9th September 2005, 08:58 AM
Someone over on the arstechnica forums came up with a way to convert the iTunes 5 theme to the 'Unified' theme used in mail.app 2. Looks much nicer IMHO.

http://home.pacbell.net/elomire/iTunesUnified.dmg

DVD Plaza
9th September 2005, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by marc@Sep 9 2005, 08:52 AM

:lol: ROTFL!!!!! :lol: I'm literally in tears, that was one of the funniest things I've ever read!!!! :lol:

On-Site-Tec
9th September 2005, 11:17 AM
I don't mind it not being 100% consistant.

It is still sleek like the rest of OS X. It is always nice to have something breakup all the same interfaces once in a while.

One thing I found weird, On the Windows version of 5.0 the edges are nice and round. Yet on OS X they seem to be angled and slightly pixilated.

Anyone else notice this?

Matt.

Chr1s
9th September 2005, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by DVD Plaza@Sep 9 2005, 10:42 AM
ROFL! hahaha. Classic.

queraxus
9th September 2005, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by notb4dinner@Sep 9 2005, 08:58 AM
Someone over on the arstechnica forums came up with a way to convert the iTunes 5 theme to the 'Unified' theme used in mail.app 2. Looks much nicer IMHO.

http://home.pacbell.net/elomire/iTunesUnified.dmg
I wish he'd done it the other way around.

marc
9th September 2005, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by On-Site-Tec@Sep 9 2005, 11:17 AM
One thing I found weird, On the Windows version of 5.0 the edges are nice and round. Yet on OS X they seem to be angled and slightly pixilated.
Yeah.

All older iTunes versions were like that for OS X (ie. jagged), but I'm not sure about Windows. Urgh.

I don't mind it not being 100% consistant.

It is still sleek like the rest of OS X. It is always nice to have something breakup all the same interfaces once in a while.
True.

I think two 'styles' that look different, but function the same way is good. Four styles that function and look slightly different just screams incompetence.

Jazarus
9th September 2005, 01:32 PM
I like the new look of iTunes 5 the only thing though is when you minimise the iTunes window into that little box you can no longer click on the tiny screen to get that nifty Graphic Equaliser dancing display patterns thing that moved to the music on the little window :(

I really liked that feature, I would often minimise the window when I am working on something and that little graphic along with the music is the only relief on my screen from the hum drum of work :angry:

Rayd
9th September 2005, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by marc@Sep 9 2005, 08:52 AM

:) So true.
hahah! only a genius can come up with that! i love it! :D

Exocet
9th September 2005, 01:52 PM
What?
http://img316.imageshack.us/img316/9691/picture24bm.png (http://img316.imageshack.us/img316/9691/picture24bm.png)

Click the small play button in the circle on the left hand side of the LCD.

Jazarus
9th September 2005, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Exocet@Sep 9 2005, 01:52 PM
What?
http://img316.imageshack.us/img316/9691/picture24bm.png (http://img316.imageshack.us/img316/9691/picture24bm.png)

Click the small play button in the circle on the left hand side of the LCD.
Okay disregard my previous post ;)

it never happened *boooga boooga* (/me wildy flails arms in front of you)

pipsqeek
9th September 2005, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by feeze@Sep 8 2005, 12:05 PM
Yes, the volume slider looks odd in that spot.

But the minimised window looks cool.

I've reverted back to 4.9 though. Because v5 screwed my library up, thanks to my daily backups, I was ok though.

Second time around, iTunes wouldn't display my shared music. And because of that, there is no point in me using it, since all my music is served to any machine in the house via iTunes music sharing.

Also, I've been waiting for Apple to make the minimised window adjustable. Like DVD Player's remote.
http://members.westnet.com.au/bikies/remote.png

I'll wait to see what 5.1 does.

pipsqeek :thumbup:

Rayd
9th September 2005, 05:44 PM
the DVD player remote is adjustable? in which way?

marc
9th September 2005, 06:03 PM
It can be either landscape or portrait. Cool feature.

Johnny Appleseed
10th September 2005, 08:07 AM
Some (http://www.corante.com/apple/archives/2005/09/08/brushed_off.php) more (http://sean.typepad.com/ditto/2005/09/schizo_interfac.html) articles (http://hohle.net/scrap_post.php?post=153) on the different interface styles.

warren21
10th September 2005, 09:39 AM
I've noticed that on my dad's iMac G4 his iTunes still has those faint blue lines which seperates the songs where as on my G5 the background is all white. I wonder why?

helloroto
10th September 2005, 09:50 AM
In regards to Apple's inconsistancy in app themes... I say "Let them be different!!" I mean come on... we don't Apple to go Win XP on us.. it would be so BORING with only one theme. And plus we have become used to the idea that iTunes is a nice metal look, GarageBand is woody, Safari is brushed metal, IE is well fruity etc...

Cheers,
Roto :D

marc
10th September 2005, 10:23 AM
Ok, for the record, I think Apple have it mostly right. Here's the way I'd love to see everything, which is mostly the way it is.

- All GUI to always follow the same rules, no matter what the "style". I'm talking about inconsistencies with Carbon/Cocoa, click through, etc.

- I don't mind widgets or "fun" apps looking totally different, as long as they function the same. GarageBand is a good example. It's fine the way it is.

- I think button styles should be limited to only a few options. It seems like Apple are pretty keen on not having any Aqua styled buttons in most of their apps. This is just totally insane.

- And as for window styles for the OS X and iLife apps... well... just pick one damnit! The standard OS X apps and iLife could be different, but then they should be consistently different (ie. all iLife apps looking the same). Good design always looks intentional.

I don't think those arguing that this new style is ok realise how drastically things like this affect usability. UI should be totally automatic. The user shouldn't ever have to question it.

If nothing else, Apple are setting a poor example and confusing anyone trying to follow the HIG. Please Apple, lead by example!

pipsqeek
11th September 2005, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by rotogrip_rocks_707@Sep 10 2005, 09:50 AM
In regards to Apple's inconsistancy in app themes... I say "Let them be different!!" I mean come on... we don't Apple to go Win XP on us.. it would be so BORING with only one theme. And plus we have become used to the idea that iTunes is a nice metal look, GarageBand is woody, Safari is brushed metal, IE is well fruity etc...

Cheers,
Roto :D
Yes, let them be different. But I'd like the same adjust-ability between the apps.

If anything, I'd prefer if the DVD Player remote didn't have the ability to adjust it to portrait or landscape, and the iTunes one did. Why? Because it's not like you are staring at the DVD Player remote while watching a film. Whereas the iTunes one is much more useful as well as relied upon for information.

Anyway, each to their own I suppose, and after all, it's just me who appears to want that kind of flexibility. Not being locking into a uniform and singular look... which is what I think, Roto, you got the impression I was stating.

pipsqeek :thumbup:

spike@au
11th September 2005, 08:44 PM
Damn, what next, Intel processors, two button mice (which I must admit I have and love), and now no brushed metal :P