PDA

View Full Version : New app allows ipad to be used as a secondary screen/input device

canonafficionado
18th May 2010, 03:08 PM
First Look: Avatron Air Display for iPad extends your Mac screen (http://www.tuaw.com/2010/05/14/first-look-avatron-air-display-for-ipad-extends-your-mac-screen/)

Looks good.

skritter
18th May 2010, 04:01 PM
I am starting to really like these guys and their 'AIR' products.

Keving
18th May 2010, 04:09 PM
A good way to get Flash on your iPad!

Haha.. had to say it.

Northy
18th May 2010, 04:27 PM
I wonder if somthing like this will become avalible for those of us that use PC's

aliens
18th May 2010, 04:31 PM
I wonder if somthing like this will become avalible for those of us that use PC's

Who cares? ;)

Balthazar
18th May 2010, 04:32 PM
Who cares? ;)

Obviously not you.

dory_1982
18th May 2010, 05:17 PM
There is the iDisplay app, but only works on Macs and according to review is kinda buggy.

ozhood
20th May 2010, 12:56 PM
I think this is a cool idea, but the given example.. of using a full screen app on your mac and a mail.app window extended to your iPad seems a bit pointless. Why not just run the native mail app on the iPad and leave it in it's dock, sitting on your desk.

I'm sure there could be great uses for this but this doesn't seem like compelling example.

canonafficionado
23rd May 2010, 02:16 PM
The kind of home uses I can think of are things like say loading up a new photo in photoshop or iphoto, or maybe a webpage with some hotel shots for a holiday booking and then flicking the photo or the browser over the to ipad whilst getting up from the desk to show someone else in the house.

lach
24th May 2010, 01:41 AM
I downloaded Air Video the other day, fully knowing what it could do - yet I was still blown away when it converted avi's on the fly from my time capsule, whilst I was in my car.

Needless to say - I'm eagerly anticipating Air Display!

auspad
25th May 2010, 07:02 PM
my question is. because it uses the wifi how far away can you be? eg if i turned this on because i got a bit bored with the iphone OS. could i walk around the house as long as it was in wifi range and have like a porta-OS on my ipad?

Chesty
25th May 2010, 08:11 PM
Just a heads-up to everyone, Air Display is now available on the iTunes Store (http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/air-display/id368158927?mt=8) for $12.99.

skritter
25th May 2010, 08:23 PM
Go 'Avatron Software'

wolfie
25th May 2010, 11:56 PM
just bought it and works a charm on my ipad
Air Display Avatron Software (http://avatron.com/apps/air-display/)

ideal for that added screen space for email, or chat clients, or little windows like downloading windows and the like.

mouse movements are a touch jumpy but i expect this to be issued in a software update, or if it cant be improved, its not a big issue or a deciding factore to have a extra screen present for the little things.

screen is also touch responsive so you can control the cursor that way too if you so wish.

i expect this app to be very popular

Edit, I realize that's it already been posted, so edited with a bit of feedback to help readers.

GeoffP
26th May 2010, 01:06 AM
Just bought Air Display & Air Sharing HD

auspad
26th May 2010, 03:38 AM
how far away from your mac can you be before it stops working?

canonafficionado
26th May 2010, 09:46 PM
how far away from your mac can you be before it stops working?

Good to hear the initial experiences with it.

With distance it's dependent on the signal strength you get from your wi-fi router. Wherever that covers around the house it should be the same for this. It's an extender for the mac, so it won't help with extending iphone if that's what you meant from the first comment.

Sfdoddsy
30th May 2010, 10:14 AM
Does this allow for mirroring the display? So you could use it for screen sharing instead of vnc?

bed
31st May 2010, 10:57 AM
Can somebody try running Torchlight fullscreen using this. Is the iPad part of the screen still usable for OSX apps? Torchlight has a bug where you can't cmd-tab to OSX when its running fullscreen. If its running in window mode no dramas. If I can run games fullscreen on my main screen and still see my twitter and stuff on the iPad that would be worth the price for me.

kungfucamel
31st May 2010, 11:22 AM
Does it support the vga out connector? ie so that you can connect the ipad up to a projector and view safari on the big screen? as far as i know, the vga connector doesn't support video out to safari does it?

gameon
31st May 2010, 10:53 PM
Can somebody try running Torchlight fullscreen using this. Is the iPad part of the screen still usable for OSX apps? Torchlight has a bug where you can't cmd-tab to OSX when its running fullscreen. If its running in window mode no dramas. If I can run games fullscreen on my main screen and still see my twitter and stuff on the iPad that would be worth the price for me.

just ran torchlight fullscreen and tweetie for mac was still updating and showing on my ipad using air display

would take a photo but girlfriends sleeping behind me

bed
31st May 2010, 11:48 PM
thanks Gameon - good enough for me! :D

scar68
1st June 2010, 09:25 AM
I have it and am loving it. For the basic stuff I am doing it seems great. Simple and efficient.

Wow, what a fantastic productivity tool for those of us who use laptops and would like a convenient second screen.

chris
1st June 2010, 10:25 AM
I have it and am loving it. For the basic stuff I am doing it seems great. Simple and efficient.

Wow, what a fantastic productivity tool for those of us who use laptops and would like a convenient second screen.

I love it - when using lightroom or photoshop it is perfect on my MacBook Pro.