PDA

View Full Version : Creating [Airport] Network Problem

Appleaday
18th May 2010, 12:50 PM
Have an iMac at both home & work and have tried unsuccessfully to create and retain an airport network. [For connecting an iPhone to]

I create it with a WEP password, put it into my list of preferred networks and the next time I start up its gone. The iPhone remembers it OK, but when it tries to connect it times out as well.

The irritating thing is that everybody else's network appears in a list of available networks and no matter what I do I cannot delete them from the list - unticking the "remember this network" has no effect.

I'm obviously doing something wrong.:confused:

Can someone point me in the direction where I can get some info that the average person can understand to sort out what to do.

Appleaday
19th May 2010, 06:53 PM
or even where to start for basic info

snark
19th May 2010, 08:45 PM
I suspect that when you create an 'ad-hoc' wi-fi network, it is really is only temporary. I just created one myself, and once I disconnected from it, it disappeared from my list of networks.

I'm not sure whether it would work, but can you pair your iMac and iPhone using bluetooth?

Appleaday
19th May 2010, 11:34 PM
I suspect that when you create an 'ad-hoc' wi-fi network, it is really is only temporary. I just created one myself, and once I disconnected from it, it disappeared from my list of networks.

I'm not sure whether it would work, but can you pair your iMac and iPhone using bluetooth?
Thanks for the reply.

If I am creating an "ad-hoc' network as you say - how do i create a 'proper' one?

re Bluetooth - unless something has changed recently you cannot 'browse' the iPhone.

snark
20th May 2010, 07:30 AM
...how do i create a 'proper' one?

With a wireless router / base station - ie. a separate device. Any computer-to-computer network that you create using your Mac's Airport is ad-hoc.

Appleaday
20th May 2010, 10:48 AM
With a wireless router / base station - ie. a separate device. Any computer-to-computer network that you create using your Mac's Airport is ad-hoc.
I suspected that would be the answer.

What I cannot understand is that I have had an iPhone for 3 years now and have created these so called 'temporary' networks and up until recently they have not disappeared. If I remember correctly, I suspect it has only happened since about the start of March this year - very odd.

thanks for your assistance, appreciated.