PDA

View Full Version : My first Apple Product :)

StratosFeaR
22nd July 2004, 08:07 PM
Like a lot of people I was anti mac. I hated the idea of Apple's and Mac's. I thought they were expensive poor cosmetic excuses for a computer :)

Earlier this year I spent 6 months working in an industry where mac's are pretty mainstream. I had plenty of time to tinker with the software and hardware of a few high end g4/g5 systems and I was instantly hooked. The perfect G5 design just stunned me :). Instantly gained a totally new respect for Apple.. While I personally don't find their OS as flexible as Windows for my every day work I do see that they have a place in the market.

Anyway I am going off track a bit here.

Been looking for an mp3 player for a while, juggling between the creative, apple and iriver. Didn't want to spend a great deal of money but also didn't want to regret my purchase if I bought an inferior product. I was pretty much lined up to buy the 15gb gen3 ipod this week but then of course the gen 4's were released and it threw a huge spanner in the works. $50 more for a 20gb while it seemed like good value didn't have the remote, etc etc and it was $50 more than the max I was willing to spend.

Anway soon after a 20gb gen3 went up for sale over at OCAU and a PM later and I had organised the purchase of my first Apple product.

The beauty of it is after organising the purchase the seller couldn't find his receipt, so he took it to his applecenter to get a new receipt made out. While down there he complained about the battery life and his ipod was replaced with a brand new unit :)

So I basically got a brand new 20gb ipod, with all it's accessories plus a USB cable, and a skin for $400. $5 cheaper than I was going to pay for a new 15gb ipod without the dock and remote etc :D

Anyway sorry if this thread has no real purpose but quite excited about my purchase :) Getting quite anxious waiting for it to charge.

If anyone has any suggestions on software or utils I should get I am all ears. I won't install itunes but will be giving anapod a try.

Strat. (One happy boy)

BTW I know with all the hype around the ipod mini and gen4 it may not seem like a big deal but I'm excited :D

cmetom
22nd July 2004, 09:50 PM
iTunes is great, but truth be known it is a commitment - esp. on a PC

and don't worry about the newer-product hype. when u get it, your iPod will be yours - and you'll love it.

:)

Ozi
23rd July 2004, 12:21 AM
Who cares about all the hype?! You have an iPod. Be proud. People everywhere will envy your white earbuds. :lol: and you got one for a bargain too, you lucky thing!

What is OCAU? everyone keeps talking about it, as though every Apple Talk user is a member of "OCAU" bar me. :( What does it stand for? "Ozi Can't Actually Inderstand?" :lol: im just curious...

Quamen
23rd July 2004, 06:45 AM
Ozi, OCAU is overclockers australia. It's a PC tech website with huge forums and heaps of people. http://www.overclockers.com.au/ will get you there :)

StratosFeaR
23rd July 2004, 08:51 AM
Yeah a lot (all?) of the appletalk founders started over at OCAU. They then spammed these forums over there so a lot of people would have come straight from OCAU.

Ozi
23rd July 2004, 09:54 AM
Ah i see! thanks. Also, are there any ways you can overclock a mac? And if not, why are so many mac users veterans of a PC site? Is it because you guys own PCs as well? Or (and this is my preferred option) do you guys all know how to make my pBook run quicker than a dual 2.5Ghz G5?! ;) :P

estoyloco
23rd July 2004, 10:14 AM
hehe,, i dont know if u can make a PB run faster than a dual 2.0 G5...

Anyways in terms of the Itunes on XP thing i have found from experience that it runs like a charm... its seem to take a while to load up (on an old 1.2GHZ Athlon) but its the best program that i have come accross for music... i have heaps of mates that are hooked on it.... they dont even have ipods..

i would get Itunes but if other programs work with it flawlessly then get them.. cos itunes will make u install quicktime eetc.. so that might bother you...

decryption
23rd July 2004, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Ozi@Jul 23 2004, 09:54 AM
Ah i see! thanks. Also, are there any ways you can overclock a mac? And if not, why are so many mac users veterans of a PC site? Is it because you guys own PCs as well? Or (and this is my preferred option) do you guys all know how to make my pBook run quicker than a dual 2.5Ghz G5?! ;) :P
Well all used OCAU because there was nowhere else to go for people into computers who are Australian. Because afterall, Macintoshes *are* just computers :P

Ozi
23rd July 2004, 11:40 AM
True.... and its great to see you have taken matters into your own hands and made your own Australian computing site. :D But seriously, is it possible to overclock Apples? and has anyne here done it? Maybe someone could make a new post or a step-by-step guide on how to do it, cos at the moment im just making this thread go WAY off topic... :P

(tries desperately to get topic back online)

Um a cool app for computers and ipods(<--- see? back on topic&#33; LOL) is iFlash: http://loopware.com/iflash/ great for uni students or anyone who wants to memorise stuff while on the go. :D

stickman67
23rd July 2004, 12:29 PM
It can be done with certain models or CPUs, but don&#39;t ask me which ones or how. I have a Sonnet ZIFF CPU upgrade on which it can&#39;t be done, so I&#39;ve never looked into this in any further depth.

I&#39;ll leave it to the tech-heads to fill you in on details. :P

Dunks0r
23rd July 2004, 12:32 PM
I just picked up a 3G ipod as well :D (thats the good thing about new models coming in&#33;) i bought a 15g model for &#036;399 which suits me fine, there is no way i would spend any more than that for a mp3 player, no matter how good it is :)

But i`m happy as a pig in poop with it&#33; i have to get a remote and mod it someway so i can use it on the motorbike but should rock&#33;

Rockyroad
24th July 2004, 09:29 AM
If anyone has any suggestions on software or utils I should get I am all ears. I won&#39;t install itunes but will be giving anapod a try.

1. Get rid of the crappy white Apple earbuds and get yourself a pair of Sennheisser MX500 earbuds (got mine from Sydney HiFi)
2. If you really want nice sound, still with portability, get some Sennheiser PX100 folding headphones.

I have both of these and interchange them.

3. For getting out and about its hard to go past the iSkin eVo (http://www.iskin.com/).

StratosFeaR
24th July 2004, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Rockyroad@Jul 24 2004, 09:29 AM

If anyone has any suggestions on software or utils I should get I am all ears. I won&#39;t install itunes but will be giving anapod a try.

1. Get rid of the crappy white Apple earbuds and get yourself a pair of Sennheisser MX500 earbuds (got mine from Sydney HiFi)
2. If you really want nice sound, still with portability, get some Sennheiser PX100 folding headphones.

I have both of these and interchange them.

3. For getting out and about its hard to go past the iSkin eVo (http://www.iskin.com/).
I actually bought a pair of MX400&#39;s the other week because my discman buds broke. The MX400&#39;s are the same as the MX500&#39;s but without the volume control :)

The sound quality through them is great (for buds) although I still think the design could do with some work.

I got a clear Lajo xskn skin with it although I think I will buy one of the ones where the wheel is uncovered. After using the ipod with the skin on and then using it with it off the wheel just seems so much better uncovered.

Also just bought a packet of PDA screen protectors on ebay that I will use on the screen. I know you can get hard protectors but prefer the PDA type.

Also made a cutdown version of foobar with the foo_pod plugin so I can plug the pod into any pc and copy songs off it with the proper tags etc without any major hassles. Works quite well :)

Thanks for the suggestions guys :)

Rockyroad
24th July 2004, 01:22 PM
Good stuff&#33;

damz
26th July 2004, 11:02 PM
Keeping everyone in the loop about whats out there:
I picked up a 3G 40gig ipod today for a shade under 600 bucks, brand new.
This is what happens when I crack the sh&#33;ts about Apple delaying the shipments of 4G ipods week after week...
See my post in the sale section selling most of the accessories that came with it which I&#39;ll never really use (remote headphone thing, dock, carry case maybe).

First impressions as a new ipod owner:
W.T.F. is the deal with no custom EQ settings on the iPod yet Apple claim seamless iintegration with iTunes? And the provided EQ settings are mostly useless and have totally soured what would have been one of the best things Ive ever bought, along with my powerbook.
Also, why no cross fade between tracks? Im guessing for battery conservation but that also blows major ass.

I have emailed Apple from their website in the (futile?) hope that custom EQs will be a firmware update one day, I encourage anyone else to do the same and hopefully they&#39;ll eventually fold and do it. There is no reason I can think of for omitting one of itunes&#39; best assets other than keeping it as a feature for some future generation of iPod...and if thats the case then I hope one of the billion or so firearms in California discharges into the groin of whoever made that decision.

Apart from these shortfalls (which are never mentioned by Apple) I am pretty damn happy with it.

OziMac
26th July 2004, 11:24 PM
Delaying shipments week after week???

Dude, they were only released this time LAST week? Is that what you meant??? What did you pull on them for such a good deal? lol

Rockyroad
27th July 2004, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by damz@Jul 26 2004, 11:02 PM

W.T.F. is the deal with no custom EQ settings on the iPod yet Apple claim seamless iintegration with iTunes? And the provided EQ settings are mostly useless and have totally soured what would have been one of the best things Ive ever bought, along with my powerbook.
Do you really want EQ? I&#39;ve never turned mine on - better sound quality without it. Maybe needed through powerbook speakers but surely not through decent headphones.

zefi
27th July 2004, 04:34 PM
I don&#39;t get why people have this irrational dislike and hate for Apple products. Maybe I&#39;m too open-minded, but I was willing to get on a mac and discover it for myself, and I haven&#39;t looked back.

I think the iPod is a great product, almost can&#39;t live without that music&#33; congratulations on coming around on your opinons concerning the mac and snapping up a great bargain on an iPod :)

damz
27th July 2004, 07:39 PM
Ozi: Yes I meant the delay between announcing a new product, then the call I made to an apple centre who said that they were imminent, then being told almost a week after that, "they wont be here till friday".
Considering what happened with the ipod mini delays, I wasnt gonna get sucked into that.

Rocky: YES I really want EQ. For all speakers. Although it would seem a heap of people dont understand what an EQ does (is it that hard?).
I find all but the most bulky/expensive headphones too "bright" - the sound quality is much too treble biased although mid detail is often a decent by-product of this.
If we were to talk about proper speakers, ie, if you plugged an ipod into a home hifi setup, I think you&#39;d find that the sound reproduction would also be biased to treble/mids with fairly weak and undefined bass notes. So for those of us who can&#39;t afford to spend &#036;30,000+ on a pair of B&W Nautilus speakers, a tweak of EQ would go a long way to smooth out the inherent failings of the hifi setup and suit the style of music.

zefi: I never hated apple gear, well at least not since the end of the Beige Era some years ago. I&#39;ve actually converted PC hardcores to PowerBooks, and have used macs for work and at home for years.
However, just because almost every review of the iPod says its the best thing ever, doesnt mean Im going to overlook some serious shortfalls when I bought one, expecting it to be just as functional as iTunes, with concessions made only for a simpler interface.

Basically, my complaints about ipod would be easily fixed in a software update, and as long as they were selectable in the settings, all the purists could turn the EQ and crossfade off and retain the ipod experience as it is today. But those who like all iTunes&#39; features could also have their cake and eat it too.
Ok im gonna stop ranting now. :)