PDA

View Full Version : Samsung 50" tv issues...

Devil rolla
17th May 2010, 09:57 AM
Hey guys, so about 3 months ago I bought a Samsung Series 4 50" from JB hifi. Link ( Plasma TV - Television | SAMSUNG (http://www.samsung.com/au/consumer/tv-audio-video/television/plasma-tv/PS50C451B2DXXY/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail) )
And on friday night the mrs and I were watching footy, 930pm turned the tv off and went to bed.
I got up early saturday morning to play some xbox, and when the screen loads the footy scores from last night are still there burnt/ghosted onto the screen. So i think maybe since its been cold in brisbane the image has stuck somehow ( the screen was turned off so not prolonged image burn ) play xbox for an hour or so and the scores from the footy are gone.
So im thinking maybe a one off, no probs.
Sunday arvo, the mrs and I are sitting down to catch-up on whatever shows we've missed and i load up the apple tv and we are picking. The inlaws call and the mrs takes the call and as im sitting there the iphoto screensaver pops up...but when the images roll over i can see the apple tv shows menu, and the names of the shows burnt/ghosted on the screen again...
Watch afew hours of tv, and they are gone.

Now this sob tv is mounted to the wall, i have a surround, dvd player, wii, xbox and apple tv connect to it, and im not inclined to pull it all apart for no reason. But, i have extended the warranty on the Tv, and the ghosting Really annoys me.

Should I take it back, or just learn to deal with it ?

nbetts
17th May 2010, 10:13 AM
Call Samsung. I have found them to be pretty good. they will send a tech out to take a look at it. If they think its a screen issue they will order a replacement and come back and install it on the spot.

I had a problem with my LED doing white coulds of ghosting and edge light bleed. they replaced the panel itself (rather than the whole TV) and now all is working perfectly.

leon
17th May 2010, 10:13 AM
Seems like this is an issue with plasma.

Plasma display - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_display#Screen_burn-in)

Devil rolla
17th May 2010, 10:28 AM
Leon: We have owned the Tv for 3 months, it wasn't a demo model and we watch maybe 1-2hrs tv a day. When i turned the tv on to watch the atv, the screen had been on the menu screen for maybe 3 minutes...not enough time to burn-in an image. When we watched the football, yes the score was in the one spot for maybe 1.5hours, still no long enough with ads, halftime, more ads and changing scores..

nbetts: thanks for that, i'd rather call them out instead of returning the whole thing back to JB. ta.

leon
17th May 2010, 10:33 AM
Leon: We have owned the Tv for 3 months, it wasn't a demo model and we watch maybe 1-2hrs tv a day. When i turned the tv on to watch the atv, the screen had been on the menu screen for maybe 3 minutes...not enough time to burn-in an image. When we watched the football, yes the score was in the one spot for maybe 1.5hours, still no long enough with ads, halftime, more ads and changing scores..

nbetts: thanks for that, i'd rather call them out instead of returning the whole thing back to JB. ta.

The article mentions that if white is displayed for a long time then it causes a ghosting effect, that shouldn't be confused with burn in. Maybe that is what you have as the scores and menu items are white.

Devil rolla
17th May 2010, 11:02 AM
i'll call samsung and see what they say, but i'd think 3 minutes is not acceptable.

Phorte
17th May 2010, 11:39 AM
i've dealt with Samsung support on my 63" - twice. they were great each time and went to our local gold dealer who came out with new panels eachtime and replaced them on the spot. good luck!

Devil rolla
17th May 2010, 11:40 AM
thanks for the replies MT, love the support and help.

ozerus
17th May 2010, 09:05 PM
I haven't read the entire thread so I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but, there is a breaking in period with plasma screens where you can have the effect of a burn it, but it's just ghosting, after a good 6 months of use you shouldn't have that problem anymore, however a good little rule is if the image is going to be static (ie, footy games, car races, xbox) then no more then about two hours while new, after 6 months to a year you shouldn't have any problems at all...

Since you mentioned that the image disappears eventually, I would monitor it for another three months and then called Samsung if it hasn't cleared up, it could be a problem with the plasma.. but.. just give it some time, since it's only 3 months old you still have plenty of time before the warranty runs out

W2ttsy
17th May 2010, 09:47 PM
not sure if series 4 have it, but series 6 have a menu option that allow you to basically random sweep the TV to remove hints of ghosting. i found it quite good at removing this ghosting after a few hours of xbox.

also they have a screen saver option that you can run as well.

auspad
18th May 2010, 02:22 AM
my advice is go get your money back, and buy a sony. they are so awesome. after 3 months 1 pixel died so we called sony they said they would ring back in 20 mins, well 3 mins later the man from retravision rings up and says can you put it back in th box. we did and he came over in 10 mins with a new one no questions asked.

Byrd
18th May 2010, 07:25 AM
Plasma break in? That kind of sounds like the spiel you get from HN salespersons flogging $300 Monster HDMI cables ... a modern TV should not and need not to have any "break in" period.

ozerus
18th May 2010, 08:21 AM
Plasma break in? That kind of sounds like the spiel you get from HN salespersons flogging $300 Monster HDMI cables ... a modern TV should not and need not to have any "break in" period.

I thought the same thing and it wasn't from some salesperson, I can't remember the name of the site however there is a massive home cinema site out there with gawd knows how many members.. I read quite a few things on there..

I should state though I got onto the plasma screen when they were still very new and really a little expensive in comparison to what they were so I had an earlier panel rather then the newer ones which are apparently a lot better.

Devil rolla
18th May 2010, 08:45 AM
i've called the tech, we will see what he has to say.

Byrd
19th May 2010, 09:46 AM
I thought the same thing and it wasn't from some salesperson, I can't remember the name of the site however there is a massive home cinema site out there with gawd knows how many members.. I read quite a few things on there..

If that's AV forums, you'll see 50% strongly advocate "breaking in" whilst the other 50% recommend sitting on your arse and watching the TV. I'm inclined to strongly lean with the latter, the other is bollocks. Same goes with stating a short half-life of Plasma TVs and having to "regas" them ... :)

Devil rolla
3rd June 2010, 09:18 AM
The email i just sent samsung.

Hello There,
I bought a 50' samsung plasma from jb hifi, and I have been very happy with it. Recently I have been having issues with the screen, it leaves white text on the screen after being displayed for no more that 3 minutes. This is not a commercial screen, its located in my personal residence. I called samsung and they put me through to their local repairer, Beerwah Electronics. They took my Tv, but were two hours late with its pickup. They delivered it back to me a week later, and after inspection the Tv is in the same condition it was before they took it. I just received a call from Garth, the tech there and he explained to me that he adjusted the voltage, because that was the only known issue with this model screen and assumed that fixed it.
1. By not checking the screen, and just guessing the issue I am now a day out of pay ( because I have had to take 2 half days off to be there for pickup and delivery ) which is acceptable, but not to have to go through it Again, because the issue wasn't fixed, or checked before returning the tv to me.
2. I would expect each case to be checked per tv, not for a samsung repair centre to just do a generic fix, as thats the only known issue. How can any case be the same ?
3. As this Tv is only 3 months old in my ownership and it was purchased new from the store, I expected alot more.

I had purchased previously a cheaper plasma of a lesser brand, half the price of one of your tv's and that served me without a problem for over 3years. I know that their customer service might not have been existent, but I can't say that yours has been much better.

Many Thanks,
Steve B.

The_Hawk
3rd June 2010, 09:14 PM
AFAIK modern Plasma's don't (or shouldn't) suffer nearly as bad as the original plasmas. As you said, hours of watch could leave on image ghosted, but then it will clear up with some normal use and not permanently burn in.

A few minutes though... definitely something screwy going on there. Gotta say though, it's things like this that made me ensure I bought an LCD over a plasma when I got my Samsung 46". Yes a Plasma would have been bigger for the same $$, but I like not having to worry about this sort of thing, even a little bit :)

Devil rolla
4th June 2010, 08:51 AM
yeah...its hard, cause I used to look at the tv and think, Dang you sexy...
but now...not so much.