PDA

View Full Version : What Do I Do, Emac Startup Disc Is Full?

fitz
7th September 2005, 08:09 PM
I have an apple emac which I struggle to understand!
It says the startup disc is full.
It is telling me I cannot burn discs, it is freezing in AppleWorks and generally acting strange.
Can anyone explain what the startup disc is and what I have to do about it?
I would be very grateful for any assistance

dangelovich
7th September 2005, 08:23 PM
The startup disk is the main hard drive, which contains the operating system. Odds are, there is only one disk present on your machine, and it is the startup disk.
The computer needs a certain amount of free space to operate correctly. I believe it's a couple of gigabytes.

Once the disk is full, the machine will behave strangely.
Basically, you need to delete some stuff. Maybe find some programs or photos or something you don't need etc.
If you're not sure what you can/can't delete, post back and we'll do our best to help.

emacmark
7th September 2005, 08:30 PM
I have had this message once before after using the erase function in disk utilities and just ignored it as the erase actually writes data to your disk to mask what was there. The system then thinks the disk is full.

First, try repairing disk permissions.
This can be found in:
applications>utilities>disk utility>first aid>repair disk permissions

Tell us more about your emac
speed,ram,drive,os, hdd and free space

Mark

suryo
7th September 2005, 08:34 PM
It means you have too much stuff on your hard drive . You need to either delete a few things you don't need or get some other means of storage such as an external hard disk. You could also try to burn a few things off onto CD or DVD and delete them from the hard drive.

TIP: To find likely culprits enter :cmd: + F from the Finder and search for items in your home folder with size over 10MB

suryo
7th September 2005, 08:37 PM
Also, empty the trash if you haven't done that lately.

pipsqeek
8th September 2005, 08:07 AM
I was about to suggest "rebuild the desktop" but I remembered what year it is.

I must remember to fix that flux capacitor, so I can return to my time :)

pipsqeek :thumbup:

fitz
8th September 2005, 11:18 AM
Thanks so much for your quick and helpful responses!
Have found this swag of emailed photos after doing a search on finder, but despite deleting them from the desktop they still appear on the list when I search through Finder again
When I move items from the Finder List to trash, they still stay on the list.
How can I delete from harddrive?

Please excuse my ignorance.
Im on a Mac OS X 10.2.8 (6R73)
1 processor
eMac (version = 2.1)

The Fluffy Duck
8th September 2005, 11:56 AM

Find a file and drag to the trash can. Then empty the trash can

Getting rid of files is a nightmare on macs. Always has. It deperatly needs something like windows to get rid of Useless files. Get rid of support files of long ago trashed applications etc. Find ophen files and other similar system utilities. Macs are userfriendly but your hard disk space vanishes before your eyes and its hard to get back.

soulman
8th September 2005, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by fitz@Sep 8 2005, 11:18 AM
...When I move items from the Finder List to trash, they still stay on the list.
You're nearly there - just empty the Trash. :) Deleting items is a 2 step process, just in case you change your mind or make a mistake.

Keep deleting until you have at least 10% of your HD's capacity free. In other words, if you have a 60GB drive, it is best to have at least 6GB available.

Good luck!

Squozen
8th September 2005, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by The Fluffy Duck@Sep 8 2005, 11:56 AM
Getting rid of files is a nightmare on macs. Always has. It deperatly needs something like windows to get rid of Useless files.
Yup, Windows has lots of ways to get rid of files. Viruses, worms and spyware are just some of these ways. :)